2014 Kasnak Coaster Poll

Hi everyone! As you a lot of you are aware I have been a member here for a number of years and I have always been a big fan of the various polls (especially Mitch Hawker's) each year. It has been my desire to start my own poll for a few years now and with the Hawker Poll becoming a little less frequent in recent years (and seemingly not happening at all this year) I thought now is as good a time as any to jump into the fray. I would appreciate any feedback and hope you all cast your ballots before the deadline!

Introducing the all new KASNAK COASTER POLL!

The Kasnak Coaster Poll is a brand new poll of coaster enthusiasts from around the world that ranks wood and steel coasters together! Using enthusiast’s ballots similar to other coaster polls, the Kasnak Coaster Poll utilizes a point based system to rank coasters from around the world.

How will ballots be scored?: Each ballot received will be scored using a points system. Each ballot will take 100 and divide it by the number of coasters on the ballot. The resulting number will be used to assign a point value to each coaster on the ballot, starting with 100. Example: We receive a ballot with 10 coasters on it. We take 100 and divide by 10, giving us 10. The top ranked coaster would receive 100 points, the second place coaster 90 points, the third place coaster 80 points and so on. After all ballots are received each coaster’s total points will be divided by the total number of riders to arrive at its final score. Scores will be calculated to the hundredth of a point. There will be a minimum number of riders needed to be included in the final results. This number will be based on the number of ballots received.

This method serves a couple purposes. First of all it gives the opinions of seasoned riders a little more weight. For example the second place coaster of a ballot with 10 coasters would receive 90 points, but the second place coaster of a ballot with 100 coasters would receive 99 points. Secondly, we believe that it is the best way to give an accurate overall picture of how each coaster stacks up against its peers.

Who can participate?: Anyone who has ridden a roller coaster and has an email address is welcome to participate! Whether you have ridden 5 coasters or 500+ we would love to see your ballot!

How can I participate?: It’s easy! Using the guide below simply fill out your ballot and email it to coasterpoll@gmail.com! The voting for this year’s poll ends on Thursday, April 2nd at 11:59 pm EST. You will receive a confirmation email that your ballot has been received. When the tabulations are completed you will receive the results, as well as a copy of each submitted ballot to your email as well. I am working to get a website set up that will list the year by year results and ballots from each year. It may or may not be up in time for this year’s poll results. YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS WILL NEVER BE USED FOR ANY OTHER REASON THAN CONTACTING YOU WITH QUESTIONS, CONFIRMATIONS, OR RESULTS.

Filling out your ballot: To fill out your ballot simply provide your name, email address, city, and state, followed by a ranked list of the coasters you have ridden, and the park each resides in. Please be sure to specify to the park for coasters that have the same name! You may include defunct coasters if you so desire, however they will be listed separately in the final results. The grouping method is absolutely acceptable if you have a large number of coasters ridden and do not want to/feel like ranking each individually. Having your ballot in an Excel spreadsheet with rank, coaster name, and park in three separate columns would be appreciated but is not required. The following coaster types will be group together (as seen, for example, on Mitch Hawker’s polls in the past) for the purposes on this poll.

Favorite Vekome SLC

Favorite Vekoma Boomerang

Favorite Giant Inverted Boomerang

Favorite Invertigo

Favorite Schwartzkopf Shuttle Loop

Favorite Intamin ZacSpin

Favorite Ultratwister

Favorite Skyloop XT150

Favorite Gerstlauer Spinning Coaster

Favorite Eurofighter 320+

Favorite Looping Star

Favorite Extened SC2000

Favorite Intamin Halfpipe

Favorite Jet Star

Favorite Wild Mouse

Favorite Loop-Screw

Favorite Wildcat

Favorite Windstorm

Favorite Spinning Wild Mouse

Favorite Powered Coaster

Favorite Arrow Corkscrew

Favorite Vekoma Corkscrew

Favorite Flitzer

Favorite RC40/50

Favorite Zyklon

Favorite Galaxi

Favorite Zyklon Loop

Favorite Jumbo Jet (Any)

Favorite Tivoli

Favorite Vekoma Family Suspended Coaster

SAMPLE BALLOT:

John Doe

jdoe@gmail.com

Orlando, FL

1. Maverick, Cedar Point

2. Diamondback, Kings Island

3. El Toro, SFGAd

4. New Texas Giant, SFOT

5. Expedition GeForce, Holiday Park (Germany)

6. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Magic Kingdom

7. Favorite Vekoma SLC, N/A

A little about me: My name is Vincent Kasnak Scott and I am a long time park and coaster enthusiast from Indiana. I am married and have a Shetland Sheep Dog named Wrigley. I have always looked forward to the various annual coaster polls as the highlight of my offseason. I wanted to create a poll that allows us to see how different types of coasters rank when they are all put on equal footing.

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO EMAIL ME AT COASTERPOLL@GMAIL.COM!

• Like 7

^
Just a quick question- do we have to give our real names? 'Cuz I just used "McSalsa" if I recall for the Mitch Hawker poll, and that worked out just fine. Also do we include dedicated "kiddie" coasters like Great Pumpkin Coaster? The Mitch Hawker poll ignored them.

Anyhow, I will probably vote on this so here's how my ballot should end up....not including kiddie coasters. I'm apparently only worth 150 points though. :P (I'm also giving my personal grades for each for a bit of clarity...)

1. The Beast @ Kings Island

2. The Legend @ Holiday World

3. Banshee @ Kings Island

4. Diamondback @ Kings Island

5. Voyage @ Holiday World

6. Raven @ Holiday World

7. Flight of Fear @ Kings Island

8. Vortex @ Kings Island

9. The Bat @ Kings Island

10. The Racer @ Kings Island

11. Backlot Stunt Coaster @ Kings Island

12. Adventure Express @ Kings Island

13. Hoosier Hurricane @ Indiana Beach

14. Firehawk @ Kings Island B

15. Favorite Invertigo (Invertigo @ Kings Island)

Including Kiddie Coasters...

16. Woodstock Express @ Kings Island (not sure if this would be a clone ride or not...)

17. Great Pumpkin Coaster @ Kings Island

18. Howler @ Holiday World

Oh, and to clarify a bit: Invertigo is still a ride I do like and would wait up to around a half-hour for. Wouldn't wait longer than that though. I have yet to ride a roller coaster I actually didn't like to this point...granted, so far only 15 of them...

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

And the results are in! It was an interesting process and I certainly learned a lot over the course of handling everything. If nothing else, I think going forward we will be better equipped to better target the groups we are looking to get votes from and expand out to better reach oversees groups. A better response from riders who have been to Asian parks would be great.

In the end we had 205 accepted ballots with over 9000 individual rankings. A total of 468 coasters/groups of coasters had enough votes to be ranked. A coaster had to appear on at least six ballots to be included in the final rankings.

The Top Ten:

1. Bizarro - Six Flags New England - 96.82 average points

2. New Texas Giant - Six Flags Over Texas - 96.81

3. Leviathan - Canada's Wonderland - 96.25

4. Balder - Liseberg - 96.24

5. Boulder Dash - Lake Compounce - 95.52

6. El Toro - Six Flags Great Adventure - 95.326

7. iSpeed - Mirabilandia - 95.323

8. Shambhala - PortAdventura - 95.25

9. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park - 95.1

10. Iron Rattler - Six Flags Fiesta Texas - 94.4

Kings Island Coasters:

36. Diamondback - 88.26

60. Beast - 82.99

64. Banshee - 82.54

196. Flight of Fear - 57.71

206. Firehawk - 55.93

253. Racer - 47.54

263. The Bat - 45.64

280. Vortex - 42.31

298. Invertigo (grouped) - 38.87

325. Adventure Express - 34.36

357. Backlot Stunt Coaster - 29.44

428. Flying Ace Aerial Chase (grouped) - 11.53

429. Woodstock Express - 11.52

If anyone who didn't vote wants to see the full results just pm me with your email address and I'll send them to you. They will also be posted to the facebook page by the end of the week.

• Like 4