KI preview night, 4/17 (only for passholders who renewed by 11/6)

malem

First weather forecast for preview night is up on Weather.com.

High 70 Low 52, Light Rain, 60% chance of precipitation, winds SW @ 6 mph

Obviously that weather forecast will change in the next 10 days but always fun to keep an eye on.

Winds at 6 mph though tells me WindSeeker will probably be closed though B)

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USOH0566:1:US

• Like 7

So...I don't qualify, but I'm fully expecting to upgrade to Platiunum for next season. I know I'm asking people to speculate, but will the upgrade count as a 'renew' for access to a preview night in 2016?

I don't believe it does because it's a new pass (you're just paying less since you already bought a gold pass), but the park would be able to tell you for sure. Also note that this is the first year they've done such a preview night in the 7 seasons I've been a pass holder.

So...I don't qualify, but I'm fully expecting to upgrade to Platiunum for next season. I know I'm asking people to speculate, but will the upgrade count as a 'renew' for access to a preview night in 2016?

I don't believe it does because it's a new pass (you're just paying less since you already bought a gold pass), but the park would be able to tell you for sure. Also note that this is the first year they've done such a preview night in the 7 seasons I've been a pass holder.

I didn't realize this was the first time.

I should have been more clear. I have a Gold pass for the upcoming season, but planning on upgrading for the 2016 season. I guess I'll see next year, it's not a huge deal if it doesn't work out for me, really.

• Like 1

In the past, renewal benefits (if any) were available when renewing from either gold or platinum to either gold or platinum. Renewing from a regular/silver pass to either gold or platinum, however, was considered to be a new pass purchase. At Kings Island, regular season passes aren't valid after Labor Day.

• Like 6

Just my opinion but wouldn't it make more sense to add preview nights and ride nights as platinum perks? In the grand scheme of things there isn't much platinum pass value in terms of perks at KI vs CP.(CP doesn't have a gold pass option) It may not be a popular opinion but I've always appreciated the low crowds for ride nights at CP. It's pretty cool to you know you're riding with the biggest enthusiasts and very few casuals.

Cedar Point doesn't have gold passes and "free" parking doesn't come with passes lower than Platinum there....

I certainly would NOT say a very large percentage of Cedar Point Platinum passholders are so-called enthusiasts. Two percent? Maybe.

And I find MOST of the public better behaved than many enthusiasts. Sadly.

• Like 5

I think that is the essence of Gold though. Gold is the local "elite" pass that should get you the best of the best perks at your home park.

Platinum simply ups that to include all of Cedar Fair's properties. The main perk of the Platinum pass is that you get access to all Cedar Fair properties and all "Gold" perks at each park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

In the past, renewal benefits (if any) were available when renewing from either gold or platinum to either gold or platinum. Renewing from a regular/silver pass to either gold or platinum, however, was considered to be a new pass purchase. At Kings Island, regular season passes aren't valid after Labor Day.

This is correct.

We had 2014 Gold passes and purchased 2015 Platinum passes that included the renewal befefits.

Hope that answers your upgrade/renewal question.

• Like 2

I think that is the essence of Gold though. Gold is the local "elite" pass that should get you the best of the best perks at your home park.

Too bad CP doesn't offer the Gold to us home park members. I must say KI treats it's Gold members well. If KI was my home park, it would be really tempting to forgo the Platinum for the less expensive Gold. Not sure on that though.

• Like 1

Too bad CP doesn't offer the Gold to us home park members. I must say KI treats it's Gold members well. If KI was my home park, it would be really tempting to forgo the Platinum for the less expensive Gold. Not sure on that though.

Rumor has it that is why Kings Island still has gold.. They attempted to do away with it in favor of Cedar Point's model. Locals did not buy it (literally, they didn't switch to Platinum), so the park brought it back.

• Like 4

Rumor?

The park sold gold passes one year that did not include season pass parking...which was an additional $35 or so. I, among apparently a few others, bought it.

After abysmal sales, just after Christmas, parking was included in the sales price. Which did not go up. Those of us who paid for parking got refunds. This was either 2007 or 2008 pass year. There were no Platinum Passes yet.

It also had hurt sales that Paramount Parks passes had been good at all Paramount Parks--but not for parking, except at your home park. Cedar Fair had attempted to get rid of this benefit. This, too, backfired. A MAXX pass good for all three Ohio Cedar Fair parks was created and sold well. The name changed and then again. The benefit was extended to all Cedar Fair parks (at one point it covered only dry parks, I believe, except at the park where purchased), and Platinum was born.

Carowinds at one time sold four levels of passes, adding a silver.

• Like 9

My wife was thinking of taking our 2 year old Friday evening. The 2 year old isn't eligible for a pass (or cost of admittance yet), will she be allowed in?

We have a friend who purchased their pass for the 1st time last October, since it was a first time pass, and not a renewal, will they be allowed in on Friday?

• Like 1

1. Guests under 2 don't require a ticket/pass; they're admitted along with their accompanying adult(s). I don't think the preview night would be an exception to this policy, but you could call the park if you want confirmation.

2. The preview night was offered as a benefit for fall renewals only. New passholders in the fall got one free 2014 admission as their "perk".

• Like 3

I seriously can't wait for this. I plan on going Fri night and on opening day. I am so giddy and keep jumping up and down pretty much when I think about the new season :) and as far as which rides will be open I'm pretty sure that it would be all of them because I know in the past they started doing dry run days for the park so the employees could get back into the rhythm of things and for new hires to get a good feel for their job. Plus it's a way to get the rides to slowly get back up and running in hopes that they won't be down as much for opening day. Not saying this is what it really is though.

• Like 2

I wonder what time the parking gates open, and whether they will open the main gates at 4:30 or 5? They let everyone in when they open the gates a half hour early, but only passholders through to the rides. Since it's all passholders tonight I guess they would just wait till 5 to open the main gates at all...

• Like 2

The weather this evening looks absolutely amazing. I hope everyone going this evening has a fabulous time!

Tomorrow on the other hand is going to be absolutely insane. There were three public days for opening weekend last year; there's only one this year. The weather is going to be fantastic. The Reds aren't in town. It'll be interesting to hear the reports from parkgoers there tomorrow!

• Like 3