Universal Orlando to use metal detectors to check for loose articles

http://m.clickorlando.com/news/universal-using-metal-detector-for-roller-coaster-passengers/32005548

The comments on GOCC's Facebook post about this are largely against it. A couple of those comments are saying that ride operators on Incredible Hulk and Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit have recently been VERY aggressive with enforcing a rule that ALL of your pockets must be COMPLETELY empty, even pockets secured by a zipper.

I'm all for finding way to reduce the chances of loose articles flying around, but Universal has gone too far. When I cannot even carry my phone in a zipper pocket through a two-hour line, that tends to turn me off from visiting Universal again.

• Like 2

The practice was apparently just being tested. It lasted only a morning at HRRR.

Odd situation. I, myself, often (wrongly) ignore the "no loose articles" signs when I'm at a park like Universal or Disney, because (perhaps foolishly) I feel like my phone and my wallet are secure enough that the locker-getting process would be a waste of time. If I had a backpack or something, sure. But my wallet in a tight pocket, which may even be snapped or zipped closed? It seems like a roundabout waste of time to go through the whole locker procedure to hold a single wallet, especially when I manage to keep them all on my person on Firehawk or Millennium or Diamondback with little problem.

I'm sure part of this is to avoid accidents, like phones or coins escaping pockets. Like the article says, a penny flying out of my pocket and hitting someone in the back row could have dire consequences.

The other unfortunate element of this is that it might be to curb intentional attempts at "humor" by the worst kinds of guests. As bad as it sounds, the multiple occurrences on Dueling Dragons that lead to it becoming plain-old Dragons sure reeked of intentional acts. It really seemed like some horrible people did it on purpose, like dropping a penny from a Drop Tower ride. If so, those few ruined it for us all and basically ruined one of B&M's most clever attractions. (By the way, I'm still surprised Universal hasn't actively worked to restore that ride, even if it did mean metal detectors.)

Speaking of which, some parks in some states have all riders hold their open palms toward operators before a drop ride can begin. That's kind of what this is. However, Universal took it to an almost illogical extreme. Those determined to hurt others will, and if someone is determined to show how "awesome" it is to drop a penny on a roller coaster, they're going to do it anyway.

Universal should probably emphasize through signage and employees that any item in any pocket could do irreparable damage to a human being and that loose items will almost certainly be lost from pockets due to the forces on the ride. Then they should inspect guests prior to entering the line and (as they've done recently) route the queue entrance through the locker area with signs posted that remind guests that if they're seen with a loose item in line (including cell phones) they'll need to exit the line. Actually enforcing that just a handful of times would spread the word. Period.

By the way, Universal's ride lockers are free of charge for the duration of the queue line wait and then some.

• Like 3

Lockers are not free for the three water rides. They are free for all of the coasters.

Like GYK said, this was just a test. Universal has been doing a lot of different security tests recently, including a few days of not letting people bring in any liquid purchased outside of the parks. They had so many water bottles at the security check point it was ridiculous.

The good thing is the tests only seem to last a day or two. I don't know the real reason behind them, but as an admitted Universal apologist/fanboy, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 2