SeaWorld Twitter Campaign Blows Up

Well SeaWorld still can't get out of their own way. Their new #AskSeaWorld campaign has been a disaster and now @SeaWorld is getting a bit testy with folks on social media. What did you expect to happen? How did they not see this happening. Reading @SeaWorld Twitter feed is very amusing right now and and this is not helping after a dismal 2014 report.

http://mashable.com/2015/03/27/seaworld-twitter-questions/

• Like 3

Asking for Twitter feedback is always a bad idea. They'd be better off feeding people the information through youtube videos featuring the animal caretakers. Providing live webcams to prove that they're feeding and taking proper care of the animals. Inviting trolls to comment and criticize on Twitter just draws negative attention to the company.

• Like 10

Online comment threads in general tend to bring out a lot of really negative responses. See also: Facebook (particularly news articles, company feedback requests, etc.), TPR, etc...

Luckily, KIC is usually a lot more civilized. :)

• Like 9

Why do companies, people, and other organizations continue to make the mistake of doing a #Ask(InsertNameHere) campaign. I feel like there's a story about these campaigns blowing up in the face of whoever does it. I'm sure it's not 100% of the time, but you would think a company who has any bit of controversy surrounding it would not voluntarily throw itself to the wolves.

Whoevers idea it was clearly doesn't read the responses SeaWorld gets to most of its tweets. A lot of them end in #Blackfish...

I hope SeaWorld rights their ship soon.

• Like 9

I would love to have been in the room and learn the mindset of those who thought this was a good idea and their arguments to that end. I mean, something this dumb has to have some level of convincing themselves of something that wasn't going to happen.

Its like they've never been on social media before.

• Like 5

They did a poor job handling it as well. Never should a company's social media resort to using memes and calling people "trolls". That's just unprofessional, no matter how annoying these "trolls" are. They should have instead just attempted to answer the legitimate questions and ignored the others. It's as simple as that!

• Like 10

The sad part is if SW closes for good, they will look at Blackfish and place all the blame there versus looking at it as a combination of management foul ups and documentary reaction.

The best thing they can do is not reference Blackfish. Every time they do it makes people want to re watch or see it for the first time.

If I was managing here is how I would handle this from a media sense:

1. No more referencing Blackfish, try to let it die.

2. Produce a bunch of either small videos, or small documentaries describing what we do and who we are. Counter every claim in Blackfish but don't mention the movie!

3. Social media blitz! Penguin cams, whale cams, etc! No engagement with the "trolls".

4. Media attention. Go on as many talk shows/news stations blitzing about the new campaign. Talk about the improvements. Etc. Show how SW actually rescues the whales from bad parks.

5. Lastly, put together a large scale documentary and by air time on Discovery /Animal Planet/ and or cable news. Have it talk about the highs and lows of what we do. How we are animal first park second, etc. Bring in all of the heavy Hitters. Jack Hannah, etc

• Like 11

Jack Hanna has stood with the park against the claims made in Blackfish before, so they already have his support, unless his mind has been changed somehow. They do have that going for them.

If they are willing to discuss it, SEAS could recruit the help of Dawn Brancheau's family, who themselves have stated that the film is not an accurate representation of her story (as seen here: http://www.examiner.com/article/brancheau-family-speaks-out-says-blackfish-is-not-seaworld-trainer-dawn-s-story ). Whether Blackfish is right or wrong frankly doesn't matter at this point. They came out with their claims and SeaWorld did not appear ready to defend themselves, and it's much more difficult to defend than it is to attack in this kind of PR debacle. Once people have been riled up over something they believe YOU'VE done (accurate or not), YOU won't have an easy time changing their minds because their trust in you is already gone. You will need outside help from people that the public are still willing to listen to. I just hope that's enough. People get really upset when they believe animals are being harmed. Almost to a fault, as I've heard many, many people comment on how angry they are over the alleged mistreatment of whales after seeing the film, but not one person as upset about the tragedy of Dawn Brancheau's death...

• Like 6

There comes a point where anything the company says about a subject only digs them into a deeper hole. If you can't maintain a formal matter of responding to complaints and trajedies and start falling for the hate and making jokes about your company about their mistake to try to brighten up the situation on social media, you shouldn't be allowed to be the PR guy.

Once you've dug your company in that hole, it will always be in that hole to at least one person. My advice to everyone in public relations or wants to be in the future would be to always keep an open mind and always maintain a formal structure when responding to negative claims. A first impression is often the only impression you get to a guest.

• Like 5

Jack Hanna has stood with the park against the claims made in Blackfish before, so they already have his support, unless his mind has been changed somehow. They do have that going for them.

Jack Hanna is still very much behind them and continues his appearances at the parks he does from time to time.

• Like 8

Jack Hanna always has been a fan of fishes. I hear he has a special place in his heart for the Muskellunge though.

^ And to be completely fair, if not for my alma mater, I would probably be in the same camp, unable to identify him.

If it wasn't for Muskingum, I would know him from the Columbus Zoo, and if not for that, then when I didn't have cable and his Safari Adventure show was on. But you are right he's not a "big" name to those outside the Zoo world.

I don't really blame SW for not being ready when the video debuted as it probably didn't think it would be a giant dagger, but once they saw it pick up steam they should have been much much more proactive

• Like 3

People watch a "documentary," sit behind their computer screen, and type very loudly about how they'll never ever visit SeaWorld. Problem is, would they have anyway?

In other words, there's tremendous vocal opposition to the orca captivity-entertainment program. But if SeaWorld (for an extreme example) released the whales to enormous oceanic pens, how many of the people who demanded that exact scenario around the water cooler would say, "Oh! Well, that's great! I'll be sure to include SeaWorld in my next vacation then!" That's what SeaWorld should be figuring out right now. And if the consensus is that they've suffered a great loss and that they probably won't be able to recoup those lost families, then fine. Restrategize and move on.

SeaWorld is a niche park, especially in Orlando. It's a zoo. A nice one! But a zoo. And even the nicest zoo doesn't command $70 single day entry like SeaWorld does. It's an exceptional zoo cast as competition to Disney and Universal, then mired in mismanagement, a lethal public perception problem, and a short-sighted plan. I like SeaWorld, but frankly I'm surprised they were able to earn a day of an Orlando vacation even before this all happened. SeaWorld might be twice as nice as your local zoo (which would be a stretch if you live near a major metropolitan area in Ohio) but commands an entry price seven or eight times greater.

If SeaWorld is to have us believe it's a really exceptional, entertaining, and educational zoo, so be it. Price it that way and build to suit that mission statement, which may require major restructuring. Get rid of orca entertainment, build those creatures an expansive and high quality exhibit, and price yourself as the zoo you are.

If SeaWorld would have us believe that it's an engaging, cutting-edge, thrilling theme park that happens to include some high quality animal exhibits and a lot of backstage rehabilitation programs, so be it. Invest in it as such. Get rid of orca entertainment, build those creatures an expansive and high quality exhibit, and stop defending yourself as the world's most expensive zoo.

In my simplistic idea, it's time to rebrand, restart, and try something new. At this point, it seems that every six months or so, they'll come out with a new attempt to combat Blackfish. It seems to me that the losses have been lost. A vast majority, I'd bet, have already chosen sides and drudging up memories of Blackfish every few months in unsuccessful media campaign after unsuccessful media campaign is not helping. Is SeaWorld a world class theme park that deserves a day of your vacation just like Universal? Fine. Then restructure and market it as such.

• Like 4

I think the problem with ridding the parks of orca entertainment is that SeaWorld's image is so tied in with killer whales (most notably, Shamu). I'm not by any means saying rebranding is a bad idea, but considering the parks' history with the whales, I can understand why they wouldn't want to part with orca entertainment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

The problem with Twitter hashtag campaigns is that they're very unpredictable, and there are plenty of people out there who are looking for a chance to make a mockery of some company/group. McDonald's, NYPD, Florida State and even Hamas have all been victims of backfired Twitter hashtag campaigns. Calling out the trolls and bashing them on your official account will only draw more attention to the negative aspects those trolls are promoting, and most certainly won't help your case.

• Like 6

SeaWorld continues to attack. Whether alleged Trolls who disagree with SeaWorld or anyone else who speaks out against the company. What the park fails to realize is that continuing to attack anyone against them will not entice guests to come through the turnstiles. These actions are disengenious and lead consumers to further distrust and distance themselves from the brand. Obviously they have never heard that honesty is the best policy, so they continue to deny and defend. When they should admit the previous mistakes, implement changes and truthfully represent their animal care practices. The consumer is more informed about SeaWorlds practices than ever before, yet SeaWorld still views the consumer as being dumb and not very informed.

Good luck down this path.

• Like 4