wORST DAY EVER!

Christian

I'm sorry, I have been misleading. I am not blaming the associates in the case of Tomb Raider because they have very little control, if any, over the theming and effects. I am though questioning the park officials, their priorities, qualities and concern for the park. They are the ones that have the power. I am neither questioning the FOF'S crew. I was implying that the way the problem was presented was not only akward but downright weird huh.gif. This is Paramount Kings Island Unlimited, NOT Paramounts Kings Island Unlimited for Employees. Just because employees post here, doesn't mean I will hold back on my opinions about the park and its employees as well as the speculations I have. smile.gif I have no more respect for employees of the park than I do the guests that visit it. In saying so I mean that I treat everyone on an equal playing field. I give you respect for working and trying to us guests safe (well, most of you at least wink.gif ) I would ask though, that you treat us with the same. Which, and I am not accusing anyone, I did not experience today.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry, I have been misleading. I am not blaming the associates in the case of Tomb Raider because they have very little control, if any, over the theming and effects. I am though questioning the park officials, their priorities, qualities and concern for the park.

See you gotta say that or we get mad. We have our problems with management as well. Kings Island is owned by a very large, public, and for-profit company (Viacom) and I'll be the first one to say that there are some things that could definately be imporved upon - primairly with theming.

We understand that we do things that tick a lot of people off. We merely ask that you realize that these things are done for a reason (usually guest saftey), and that we are merely following orders so we can collect our paychecks.

OK, so now everybody understands and we can all cool down. Sorry if we were also misleading. I'm happy now. laugh.gif And I'm also going to sleep. See you all later, and here's to hoping that it won't be cold enough to snow on Friday! cool.gif

You can complain all you want. I'm just trying to show you, you have no SOLID reason to have had the "worst day ever."

One goes to an amusement expecting to be amused. Expecting the rides and rollercoasters to be fully operational and capable of being ridden. One gets to the park and finds out 50 percent of the rides are closed and the ones that are capable of being ridden ar not fully functioning. One comes to a semi-decent site with some smart arse people on it and discusses the park every day. Listens to all the hype about the park. One goes to the park and the above mentioned is what one experiences. After hearing all the hype about the amusement part, what is one to conclude? What is one to say about his visit? Nothing good.

- Half the coasters closed

- Rides not fully operational/functioning

- Cold weather

- Expecting a great day and not having one

= The right to call it the "worst day ever"

Everytime I read these boards around opening season I always hear how bad it sucks because half of the rides aren't working or some stupid crap. Well.. if it was me I wouldn't be disappointed because its the beginning of the season, the rides haven't been running as much like they do in the summer so tons of breakdowns are to be expected, the park will only be open weekends in April so that gives them each week to work the kinks out of the rides & the employees to get use to things. I never really expect the highest standards of any Paramount Park because they don't have a budget like Universal & Disney. I've been to PKI around opening season when hardly anything was open but I didn't really care cuz I had a blast.

I think its no big deal & people should just chill... be smart & go in the summer when everything is working. If u have a season pass.. use it!

Just about every park I know has problems like this around opening season.

Just give PKI time to get the kinks worked out.

OK....time for my 2cents.....or $1.50 as it is going to be:

A) The headlights on the front of the Tomb Raider car....and the rest of the lights at the beginning will Not EVER turn off at the beginning.....this was changed last year for very specific saftey reasons, which no-one is allowed to talk about....but trust me there is a very specific and good reason behind it.

B ) The spinning light effect on the door OF TR:TR.....last year this effect did not work properly do to operator error.....I know because I know the people who programed it....I haven't seen what the problem is this year but most likely it is the operators not working on the right timings.

C) As has been said many times already....it was SNOWING this morning and a lot of our rides can not be safely operated at any temp below 42-45 (I think those are the numbers)....That it why many of the rides were not open today (they were fine yesterday).

D)For most of the day today the average attendence was around 2,000 guests.....This means that there were more employees in the park then guests, and since it was a season pass day all of those guests can come back at some other point in the season.....so the park decided to cut the financial losses and close early......as they say...."Sorry for any inconvience, stop by another day to use your season pass."

E)Today was a sneak preview day, or really a dry run day........these days are meant to be used as "training days" for the associates so that they can get some training with seasonal guests before the pay-one-day crowd comes in. As a sneak preview guest you should know that you are not seeing a final product.....its just like going to an advanced screening/test audience showing of a movie, some times the movie is a rough edit with no special effects in it or the scenes may not be in the right order...they are just trying to get a feel for what the public may think. Right now at Universal Studios Orlando they are in sneak previews for their new Revenge of the Mummy Dark ride/rollercoaster......but the catch is that the ride is only operating at 80%....there are still animatronics that are not installed and effects that are not working. That is sort of like what PKI did this weekend....it's a sneak peak, the park is not expected to operate at 100%

F)Just be glad that PKI took a chance and opened the park for you earlier then ever......seriously right now you could be sitting at home and have to wait another 2 weeks to ride your first ride of the season.....at least you got some rides in.

G) Please don't think that because Paramount Parks is owned by VIACOM that we are entitled to endless money to work on theming...or anything else within the parks......the truth is the park gets very little money from big parent VIACOM.

B ) The spinning light effect on the door OF TR:TR.....last year this effect did not work properly do to operator error.....I know because I know the people who programed it....I haven't seen what the problem is this year but most likely it is the operators not working on the right timings.

I hear all these people complaining, but it worked yesterday when I went on it.

I was slightly dissapointed that the park closed at 5, only for the fact that I was almost not able to go today at all because of that fact. However, I am glad that the park was open today, period, based on how cold it was. It could have been like in years past when the park wouldn`t open for another few weeks. Last year the weather was exceptional, and that fact combined with the combined season pass holders and free tickets was a nightmare. Thie year, the weather for pass holder day was the exact opposite. It seems the park can never win with this "preview weekend." Give the park a few weeks, and I`m sure the kinks will be worked out and PKI will be back up to the standards we have all come to know. From what I`ve heard, other than the power difficulties on Saturday, most of all the attractions were up and operating smoothly. That is one good thing about the gold-pass private party in May. Most of the rides` kinks have been ironed out and the crews are comfortable with running their rides.

I do have a quick question. Is the Eiffel Tower going under some rehab still? I noticed a couple large panes of glass on a crate near one of the elevator doors, like they are replacing the glass on the elevators. The park also had the exits and queue line of the Eiffel Tower barricaded off with metal gates. Anyone know if they are doing some refurb. to the Tower?

A) The headlights on the front of the Tomb Raider car....and the rest of the lights at the beginning will Not EVER turn off at the beginning.....this was changed last year for very specific saftey reasons, which no-one is allowed to talk about....but trust me there is a very specific and good reason behind it.

If no one is allowed to talk about it, why mention that no one is allowed to talk about it? Saying that it is for safety reasons is sufficient.

Incorrect. The triangle is supposed to light up, turn a few times, spin to line up with the door pattern, then fade out. The operator should open it when it lines up.

Right now, it lights up, turns a few times, sits for while, then fades out AS it moves to line up with the door. It's completely faded out before it even gets there. And if the operator waits until it's faded out, THEN the timing is messed up. The sound of the door sliding, the fog, and the lights on the other side will be off-cue.

The problem is the light gets stuck for too long after the initial short spins, and is already fading out by the time it goes to line up with the door.

I'm reading these, and I'm trying to be diplomatic. First of all, Employees....you have really started off on the right foot. Last year, I had run-ins with a few bad apples (I didn't turn anyone in or anything) This year, even with yesterday's crowds and Sunday's weather, I was blown away by the friendliness!

Now the bad. I'm not speaking for myself, just relaying what some of those in the crowd were saying. There was a family from Pittsburgh that couldn't get to the park until 2, and were dismayed about the closing time. I heard another guy talking about how far he had to travel....for a short visit. I worry about loyalties being tested.

Now that I've said that, Wow! I was thrilled at how many rides I got today. I KNEW going in the weather would be the biggest factor in the day, so I put on my gloves-- and left the chip from my shoulder back at the house. Experience will teach us all eventually, that operations will be choppy in the early season. Weather, trainees, and stupid guests add to waits in the early season. I arrived at 10 sharp and before 11:15, I rode the following:

1 ride on Beast

2 rides on Eagles

1 Racer ride

2 AE rides

2 Delirium rides

2 DZ rides

Compared to Saturday, it was a bonanza. Of course, SPARKY was in that little booth all day, and wouldn't come out to say hi to anyone. smile.gif J/K ...I know some didn't arrive until late, including a few here....but to those who don't know, April will ALWAYS have growing pains. Just try to be glad you're getting a coaster fix (some WERE open!)

By the way, the Eagles RULE this year. I have a giant bruise on my lower back, and have already been yelled at by a guest....D@#n radio station people messing with dry run sad.gif

Incorrect. The triangle is supposed to light up, turn a few times, spin to line up with the door pattern, then fade out. The operator should open it when it lines up.

Right now, it lights up, turns a few times, sits for while, then fades out AS it moves to line up with the door. It's completely faded out before it even gets there. And if the operator waits until it's faded out, THEN the timing is messed up. The sound of the door sliding, the fog, and the lights on the other side will be off-cue.

The problem is the light gets stuck for too long after the initial short spins, and is already fading out by the time it goes to line up with the door.

The operator in the antechamber only presses one button. The effects happen and the door opens automatically. It is not the ride operators fault that the door opens at the wrong time.

The operator in the antechamber only presses one button. The effects happen and the door opens automatically. It is not the ride operators fault that the door opens at the wrong time.

Actually, one button starts the effects show, and a second button opens the door. It's the operator's responsibility to open the door at the right time. As some previous posters have said, it's difficult to gauge when to open the door because the lights don't correspond with the soundtrack and other effects.

I do have a quick question. Is the Eiffel Tower going under some rehab still? I noticed a couple large panes of glass on a crate near one of the elevator doors, like they are replacing the glass on the elevators. The park also had the exits and queue line of the Eiffel Tower barricaded off with metal gates. Anyone know if they are doing some refurb. to the Tower?

Yes.....I do believe that they are actually installing a new elevator on the tower.....or at least that is the rumor I have heard.

Usually I am pretty mild mannered and I keep to myslef on these boards.

But..........

IF YOU THINK YOU CAN DO BETTER AT RUNNING A THEME PARK THAN PKI ALREADY DOES.....OPEN ONE AND PROVE IT.

I'm really sick of hearing" this doesnt work " and "I was mad at them for this"

So they Closed at 5, you all have passes if you were there, go up on another day. Tomb Raider wasn't working right for you? Well, i guess that sucks, but A ride is a mechanical thing, and mechanical things DO have problems. I'm sure if you give it time, i don't know maybe a week or so for the SEASON TO START, it should be fine.

and please. PLEASE, remember that employees are people too. WE try are best to make this a fun and memorable expierence for all of our guests, and we put our 110% all the time. You may think you had the worst day ever, but it could have been worse..........we could have not even opened the park.

Thank you and enjoy the rest of your stay at PKIUnlimited.

BTW Tanner, you got me in perfect light, I'd say the camera made me lose bought ten pounds.

Usually I am pretty mild mannered and I keep to myslef on these boards.

But..........

IF YOU THINK YOU CAN DO BETTER AT RUNNING A THEME PARK THAN PKI ALREADY DOES.....OPEN ONE AND PROVE IT.

I'm really sick of hearing" this doesnt work " and "I was mad at them for this"

So they Closed at 5, you all have passes if you were there, go up on another day. Tomb Raider wasn't working right for you? Well, i guess that sucks, but A ride is a mechanical thing, and mechanical things DO have problems. I'm sure if you give it time, i don't know maybe a week or so for the SEASON TO START, it should be fine.

and please. PLEASE, remember that employees are people too. WE try are best to make this a fun and memorable expierence for all of our guests, and we put our 110% all the time. You may think you had the worst day ever, but it could have been worse..........we could have not even opened the park.

Thank you and enjoy the rest of your stay at PKIUnlimited.

BTW Tanner, you got me in perfect light, I'd say the camera made me lose bought ten pounds.

^ I agree with Yogi Yeah sneakpreview Day Sucked Major but he is right we do have Passes we can go when ever we want and TR:TR is a Ride its gonna have some Problems like any other ride so please stop crying about somthing being closed it will open up again soon

Scooby

Of course, SPARKY was in that little booth all day, and wouldn't come out to say hi to anyone. smile.gif J/K

Ha. We didn't have very many drivers all day so I was stuck in there for about 3.5 hours total on Sunday. Besides, maintenance had brought us a space heater so it was nie and warm in there. If there were other drivers though, you bet I would be on the floor and they would be in the booth...On a side note, myself and another crew member had a very pleasent conversation with little girl and little boy as we were going to break. Made my day biggrin.gif

Okay, no offense. I love PKI as much as most people. I've gone almost every year for over 20 years. But, you need to get something straight.

1.) As people have said, this is just a preview day. It's not so much for the guests as for the employees to get some dress rehearsal time and get the bugs worked out.

2.) It was 40 degrees, or so I've heard (I'm in Detroit, but it was in the 30s here.) Of course things in a SUMMER PARK are not going to be up to par.

But most importantly. . .

IT'S ONLY AN AMUSEMENT PARK!!!!!!! Some of you take this place way too seriously. If you go and not everything is working well on a preview day. . . so what!?? You have a season pass!!! You're going to get to go many many times this year, while some of us only get to go once a summer!!

And if you have a bad day--or even, God forbid--a bad summer at PKI. . . SO WHAT!!!!!????? It's just an amusement park. It's not the best thing in the world. It's not that important in the grand scheme of things that this park give you joy every single time!! And if it really really bugs you that much. . . you have many other places to choose from! Cedar Point's only a few hours away!!

Yeah, rides can be down, but then just ride the small stuff. Try and make it as fun as you can. Congo Falls isn't the biggest ride there but it's still fun. Same with Viking Fury. Paramount runs a pretty good park and just since pre-opening day some rides were down, it doesn't mean they suck. I'd hate to hear you complain about TTD smile.gif

If you come to the park when it's below 40 and snowing and expect to have the greatest day ever, then you're just retarted. MANY MANY rides would have been open if it had been warmer. If you hadn't come to the park with such high hopes on a sh*tty day then you might have had a better day, I don't know. But then you ridicule every minor detail of the rides that were open. Be happy that Tomb Raider was open, I rode it the other day with no show at all and it's the same freaking ride!

OH and if you want to talk about how great Cedar Point is then go post on a CP fansite STFU.

I know why those lights on Tomb Raider will never go off again at the beginning, it's not exactly a secret anymore(for those of you who don't know, i won't disclose it, because it truly is verying embarassing for PKI). But, they could find a better, much more efficient, and effecttive way of keeping its employees safe than having to have those on. Besides, considering what the situation was behind that, lights on or not, your're done for. That and they really do ruin the beginning of the ride. Just my two cents though. smile.gif

But, they could find a better, much more efficient, and effecttive way of keeping its employees safe than having to have those on.

There you go again thinking you know how to run things pertaining to park operations....Sorry to call you out but your the type every park geek employee dispises.

And you're the type of employee we report and dred coming in contact with that make our days at PKI stink. If you want to debate this with me then we can talk outside of the forum. I only know what I was told by the FORMER park employees and the info. leek which occured a few months back. Can no one discuss anything here without getting their head bitten off. good grief, lighten up people. quit being so defensive. Sorry to single you out but especially the employees, you seem to be the firestarters. I'm done with this site, forget this.

Nobody said any of your info was incorrect. He was saying that your statement that there are more effective ways to do things is pretty presumptuous<sp?>.

There are no arbitrary reasons for the way things are done, at any business. Things are thought out and planned.

Whoa whoa whoa, you come in here tell us how you had the worst day ever, blame it on us, when every one of us worked our ass off so the park could be open this weekend. You my friend need a life, if you get all worked up over one bad day then I feel sorry for you. You had a bad day, I'm sorry now get over it.

WoW! I find it hard to believe the posts about the Preview Day. (Well not really). As a former employee (and now consultant to theme parks), I can remember when Dry Run Day did not include any guests. Trust me, employees probably would rather have that option again if they read theses postings. It's not easy getting the park ready for the season. There is a limited amout of staff in the off season and there are a lot of tasks that need competion. Sometimes the park is waiting on outside sources for parts and assistance. It's not like you can go to PepBoys and get parts for a ride like Tomb Raider. Things aren't always in stock.

I always enjoy the complaints from people who didn't pay to get in to the park. PKI started to let family members in on Dry Run Day to give a more realistic working day to get the employees more familiar with their operation.

Things are not going to be perfect on Dry Run Days. This is when rides & employees really get to test things.

I could go on, but I don't think it would change the minds of those who were there. To sum it up I think it is crazy to say it was the worst day ever since the park is not officially open yet.

Shawn

Ok lets get some things straight for the Gneneral idiots who happen to carry Gold Passes and get ****ed off if one little thing goes wrong with their sneak preview:

1) Lets compare time frames between April and November. November, the bearings on the coaster wheels are well broken in, and the grease isnt goin to freeze. April, the grease hasnt had a chance to really do its job, and the bearings are brand spankin new. Let me dumb it down a little for those who carry Gold Passes: Coasters have to be run in a period called the "break in" period. Until that time expires, coasters cannot be forced to open due to cold weather. Yes, we are in the break in period.

2) Time to go back to basics on TRTR. Lets say I have point A, which I am standing at, and a point B, which is roughly 20 Ft. away. Got me so far? In order to see point B, what do I need? GOOD JOB! LIGHT!!!!!! Understand now!?

3) Lets stay on TRTR: The reasons that the shows werent up to par is because we had one hour to check them before the park opened. ONE HOUR! Do you honestly think that one hour is enough time to fix every single problem with the show? I dont think so. Thanks for playing, we have some wonderful parting gifts for you.

4) TRTR the actual ride. With the catch posistions being where they are right now, the ride will break down less, meaning you Gold Pass holders who cry to GR every time one ride goes down walks up to the line, it will be open.

5)So PKI closed early. Boo hoo. Lets see the difference between CI and PKI. CI is basically a collection of kiddie rides that noone really cares about. The only reason people go there is because of the pool. PKI is an actual theme park, with rides varying from extreme to tame. For CI to stay open, I bet they need only 100 people in the park. PKI hit 3,500 people on sunday. That means that one of the "perks" of a Gold Pass was being wasted by a lot of people. Why should PKI show gratitude for those people?

6) What is the meaning of sneak preview? It means that you get to go to something before the GP does. Nowhere, I repeat, NOWHERE did it say everything had to be working. The Beast effects are still being tweaked. I know the guy whos doin it.

7) FOF probabily went down because one of the seats was acting goofy. Get over it.

You people dont deserve for the park to give you perks. Every year, all I hear is Gold Pass holders *****ing about how their perks arent open/ready/available. Turn in your Gold Pass now. I dont want you anywhere near my park.