Kings Island vs. Cedar Point

DontWantToWait42mar0

Kings Island is better than Cedar Point, we know this. But exactly how much better is Kings Island than Cedar Point?

Kings Island has a mystical feel to it, where as Cedar Point has more of a trashy vibe to it. A lot of this has to do with layout, Kings Island with their themed sections of the park compared to Cedar Point which seems as though it took all of its attractions, shook them up, and then dropped them wherever they landed, kiddie rides included. If I were to describe Cedar Point as if we're a peice of art, I would say I like the subject matter, but ultimately the park is much too "busy". Yeah it's nice to have sweet rides, but people like a rest from the action. I feel dizzy just trying to navigate around Cedar Point.

While you get a view of some water from Millenium Force, it actually ends up being a con when you factor in the water leads to the immense amount of bugs that seemingly thrive at Cedar Point. It's like no matter how hot it is during the day, you better pack protection from the bugs, especially at night for Cedar Point. Have you seen the trains as they come back to the station at night for Maverick? Disgusting!

Oh yeah after a long day at the park, you go to the parking lot to find your car completely covered in bird crap.

I ain't going to hate on Cedar Point's ride themselves though, in my opinion the only thing making a trip to CP worth it.

In my opinion the good coasters at Cedar Point are:

Magnum

Maverick

Mean Streak

Top Thrill Dragster

Gemini

Millenium Force

If I were to pick 3 rides from Cedar Point to add to Kings Island they would be Top Thrill Dragster, Maverick, and Magnum.

Why make Cedar Point the flagship Cedar Fair park when they are running out of room, have a serious bug problem, and you have to wash your car the next day? There's also traffic problems for CP.

I will be mad if Cedar Fair were to change Kings Island to resemble Cedar Point in any way. I would prefer the only similarities between the two be big coasters. Cedar Point should be used as an example of what not to do to Kings Island. Gatekeeper was a lame addition for Cedar Point, while Banshee is superb.

Banshee >> Gatekeeper

Kings Island >>> Cedar Point

Kings Island also has The Beast.

In my opinion, The Brady Bunch made the right choice going to Kings Island instead of Cedar Point, what do you think?

• Like 2

Hmmm...

Two very different parks. Not really fair, IMO, to say that one is better than the other. CP, for one, is certainly not trashy.

I don't know how to begin to argue, other than to simply say that KI has CP beat as far as a family park is concerned, but, to really enjoy CP, you need to stay in Hotel Breakers a couple nights, and enjoy the resort feel of the whole island, something that you cannot do at KI.

• Like 12

In no particular order...

Well, to start, why is it the flagship? Here's a brief history lesson.

First, there was Cedar Point.

Then, there was Valleyfair!

Combined, Cedar Fair.

I think that explains why it's the flagship. After all, it is the park #001 in Cedar Fair's lineup.

To say that Kings Island is obviously better than Cedar Point is rather naïve. Many people would argue with you that Cedar Point is an overall better park. That water you complain about because bugs and because birds? It provides a view and ambiance like no other.

Many would also argue that the themed area in the former Paramount Parks (well, current, based on the legal entity controlling them) has been mostly decimated.

"Oh noes! They iz running out of roomz!" Okay.. Is that why they just recently removed an obsolete theater that was underutilized, removed a car ride that was doubly redundant (even if some liked that), relocated two rides, and re-themed two rides, while also refurbishing one of the most loathed rides into something that should be much more enjoyable?

They're not running out of room. Even if it means removing older rides that are not generating adequate ROI, they still have plenty of options for future development. They still have an older housing facility that has fallen into disrepair, something that Matt Ouimet has already stated he wishes to move off-Point. There, more space.

They could even pull a Holiday World and get rid of their Intamin "flume", providing a good deal of growth room. More space.

Some wonder if you have truly been to Cedar Point and taken in the whole experience. Kings Island and Cedar Point are great parks, both in their own rights. One is not far and away by far a best park for everyone.

Cedar Point wins awards for thrill rides. Kings Island tends to win them for its kids' rides.

To each his/her own.

• Like 8

Everyone has their own opinions and that is completely acceptable. However, just to chime in, I'd have to say that Cedar Point is the better park. Having grown up with it, I can't even begin to list the amazing memories I've made with friends, family, and progressions through the thrill rides and coasters as I got older. Personally, wearing sunglasses at night and covering my face when the muffleheads are out and laughing the whole ride are memories I'll never forget, and have actually make Cedar Point even better for me. The location on the lake, the sound of the seagulls, the beauty of the park, everything about Cedar Point is perfect.

However, if I would have grown up with Kings Island, it's quite possible that it would have been my favorite park instead. I'm a pretty sentimental person, so I cherish experiences and memories from the past in addition to my current ones. Henceforth for me, Cedar Point wins, just because I am so familiar and sentimental with the park. I could go on and on about how much I love it.

But again, it is nice to live in country where we are all able to freely express out opinions, and it makes for good discussion on amusement park fansites :D

• Like 7

Kings Island has a mystical feel to it, where as Cedar Point has more of a trashy vibe to it. A lot of this has to do with layout, Kings Island with their themed sections of the park compared to Cedar Point which seems as though it took all of its attractions, shook them up, and then dropped them wherever they landed, kiddie rides included.

I may have agreed with this at one point during Kings Island's existence, but pointing out Kings Island's themed areas is kind of a silly argument. They're themed in name only at this point.

Tell me how immersed you are in the old west theme of Rivertown with 5 year old top 40 hits blasting over the speakers there. Do you feel like you're experiencing the different countries represented along International Street when you enter shops like Girl Space or I Love the 80's?

Kings Island is technically divided into totally different themed areas, but really, c'mon. They abandoned trying to keep those themes long ago. I don't notice any trashiness at CP that I can't also find at KI.

• Like 4

I will agree that Kings Island looks a bit trashier than Cedar Point, only because Cedar Point has never been a theme park. But if you look at Kings Island in the 80's, the theming was a bit off back then. In 1989(I wasn't alive, I'm just judging by an old map), International Street had an Airbrush stand and Homemade Brand Ice Cream (United Dairy Farmers), which isn't very "International," if you ask me, despite the Street having the Alpine Deli and the imported Spanish goods store. In the 70's, it featured the Mod Shop in the Alpine building where Starbucks is being moved to, which sold popular appearal from that decade, and it always featured a cartoon shop, Hanna Barbera, Nickelodeon, and more recently the Peanuts.

However the theming can be fixed by simple, easy things. Gift shops can be renamed to fit the architecture, appropriate flags can be hung from the buildings, and an epic soundtrack can be played over the loud speakers. I don't really mind the pop music in Rivertown, any themed music can be played in ride stations, such as KI&MVRR. Since Rivertown is themed to Cincinnati in the 1800's, they could add an Antique Car ride like Valleyfair did this past season and revive the Ohio Overland Auto Livery name.

• Like 3

I think it is very reasonable to say that Cedar Point is running out of room, as they have just demolished their only indoor theater this off season for expansion.

What do you consider the Jack Aldrich (Centennial) Theater? How about Lusty Lil's and Red Garter?

• Like 5

I think it is very reasonable to say that Cedar Point is running out of room, as they have just demolished their only indoor theater this off season for expansion.

What do you consider the Jack Aldrich (Centennial) Theater? How about Lusty Lil's and Red Garter?
My apologies. I haven't been to Cedar Point since 2007 and only remember Good Time Theater being there.

Hmm, easier than driving 5-6 hours one way out of the desert to get to the nearest park, and having the choice of KBF, SFMM, USH, or DL/DCA.. Even Metro Detroit is about 2.5hr from Cedar Point and 4hr from Kings Island.. Personally, I would rather have the Ohio parks in the shorter distance.

Then again, we ended up going down to KI so many times last year that their separate all-season dining plan would've been a bargain.. Something something shiny new B&M Terrain-Dwelling Invert?

• Like 3

Oh geez, this "vs" crap again?

You mean the seagulls vs. your car?
No, I meant it exactly how you took it.

Each park completely different. The rides are completely different. There is no intelligent way to distinguish which is better or worse for a true "vs." discussion.

This exact topic has been brought up numerous times only to end in a pointless ****ing contest that will never have a true leader between the two.

Then there is the obvious fact that this is a KI fansite. Topics like this bring out the worst in trolls.

• Like 4

Biggest issue I have with Cedar Point is the fact if someone farts, it becomes to windy to run most of the Coasters. Both parks are fun, They both provide a good bit of entertainment, just not a fan of driving 3 hours for half of the rides to be shut down for wind. I have never seen Kings Island close rides for wind. You just have to take your chances.

• Like 1

Funny, I've been there quite often and the only ride consistently down due to wind is the ironically named WindSeeker. Gatekeeper does go down due to wind occasionally but nowhere near as often. Granted, this did happen halfway through Saturday of its opening weekend and the park was practically closed the next day.. grrr.. But that's a rarity even with lake effect winds.

• Like 2