Kings Island vs. Cedar Point

DontWantToWait42mar0

I still haven't had a chance to ride a WindSeeker because EVERY TIME we have been to KI or CP it's closed for wind. The ride is named WindSeeker! You would think it could stand up to this sort of thing! :P

I love CP and KI equally. They're both wonderful parks with a lot to offer. If I want to take a vacation and get Fast Lane, I'd choose CP (it really is way overcrowded and I don't like 2 or 3 hour lines). If I were to move closer to a park and get a season pass, I'd choose Kings Island.

• Like 3

I love both parks for different reasons and they both give you a different experience. I feel like when I am at Kings Island, I feel like I am "home" but when I am at Cedar Point, I feel like I am visiting a long distance best friend who I only get to visit maybe twice a year but we make the best of our time together. They both have a great collection of modern and classic rides but they also offer their own unique scenery ( woods/coastal ). And when one has a Platinum Pass they can enjoy both experiences as often as their time and gas money allots :)

• Like 12

I have experienced both parks, Cedar Point is alright, but ever since I was a kid I have always liked Kings Island better. (Most of my best memories took place at Kings Island.)

One summer my family took us to Kings Island, Cedar Point, and Sea World(R.I.P.), but I always had the most fun at Kings Island.

• Like 6

I think both parks are great, and I feel lucky to be able to visit both relatively easily (KI is much closer, but CP is just a half-day drive).

Both have amazing rides, with CP holding a slight edge in that department, given my own preferences. I don't really care for musical acts and the like, so that's not a point of differentiation for me, and food isn't a deal breaker either.

Where CP falls short for me is the optimistic freedom I feel from the moment I step inside the entry gates. I think that's partially due to the size of the park - I feel the need for a plan of attack, so I start to manage my day like a work project. But mostly I am underwhelmed by the design of that front plaza (sorry, I'm sure it has a name, but I don't know it off the top of my head). I do like walking under Gatekeeper, that part is great. But when I first enter the park, I can't figure out what's going on: kiddie rides, concessions, games, merchandise, lockers - but not enough of any one of those things to give the entry space an identity. It feels kind of cramped too.

On the flip side, no matter how many times I walk through the gates at Kings Island, I am giddy at the sight of the fountain and Eiffel Tower. There's plenty of wide open space, and even the International Street shops and restaurants make me happy (love the smell of Greaters and Cinnabon in the morning)! I could do without the teams of staff photographers assuming I want each of them to take our group picture...but they are always pleasant and don't seem to mind when we say "no, thanks."

To sum it up, for me, when I get to Kings Island it says "Welcome, Friend. You are in for a treat!" At Cedar Point, I feel like, "Congratulations, Genius. You found it."

• Like 17

Well said. Very well said.

NJFTP gives me that same sense of impending fun as I stroll down Dream Street, passing many elements very similar to Kings Island. There are many reasons for that.

Heck, Racer stood in as the "hand model" for Rolling Thunder when it was announced. Who'd a thunk the newer of the two attractions would be the first to go?

Now that that place is bringing on Holiday In The Park....

• Like 5

But mostly I am underwhelmed by the design of that front plaza (sorry, I'm sure it has a name, but I don't know it off the top of my head).

It's just called Main Entrance/Gate, nothing fancy. Front plaza is good term for it, as it is indeed a plaza infront of the park.

• Like 7

Okay, so I'm a loyal KI fanboy. I won't deny that. Here's my two cents.

I think Kings Island has a coaster lineup that is absolutely on par with Cedar Point. Cedar Point may have a few more, but quality can make up where quantity lacks. In the areas where the parks each have one of the same type of coaster, KI wins nearly every time. KI has a better Arrow Looper. KI has a better mine train. KI has a better suspended coaster (by FAR). Some, if not most, would argue that KI has better woodies (I disagree wholeheartedly, but a lot of people just don't appreciate the Streaks). KI has better kiddie coasters. KI has a better Invert. IMO, CP has KI beat in the hypercoaster, woodie, and shuttle coaster deparments, and that's it.

On the other hand, CP has a lot of types of coasters that KI simply doesn't have anything comparable to. Sure, KI has some things that are unlike anything at CP (Firehawk and Backlot come to mind), but CP definitely has a greater variety with a floorless, a giga, a strata, a wing coaster, and more.

Hate to say it, but CP has better themeing. Frontiertown blows Rivertown away in that area. We have Coney Mall, which stays relatively true to its theme, but I would argue that everything at CP not in Frontiertown or Camp Snoopy is in an area that shares a similar theme to Coney Mall, and does a better job at it.

And the food... Oh the food. Four words. Cheese on a stick. Done. I love blue ice cream, but that's not even close. Cheese on a stick wins EVERY time.

I LOVE Kings Island. It's my home park. It will ALWAYS be special to me. I will say that I think the three Kings parks in the chain have great potential to be FAR better parks than Cedar Point. Cedar Point has great atmosphere, but ONLY because of its location. KI, KD, and CW have the groundwork laid out to be brilliantly themed, beautiful parks, they just aren't quite there.

Each park has its strong points. What you're looking for in an amusement park will greatly determine which is the better park for you. Me, I like a good Arrow, and both parks have some of the best.

• Like 5

Carowinds has made great strides over recent years. I originally considered it a backwater park that I may have visited if I were ever close enough. Now I'm debating with my wife why we should take a day long adventure during our vacation in Myrtle Beach this year.

And I'll admit that i debated for that destination (Myrtle Beach) so that I could debate for this park as a sub trip. Shh. That's a secret.

• Like 7

3 Kings parks?

Why not 5?

What's different about Carowinds over, say, Kings Dominion? Kings Dominion had different ownership than Kings Island at first. So did Carowinds. And Wonderland.

3?

I could be wrong, but I could swear I heard an interview with a CF higher-up a few years back (when CW's fountains last got updated) in which he referred to KI, KD, and CW as the "Kings" parks. It's entirely possible that my memory is faulty.

At any rate, those three are the ones to which I was referring.

Carowinds was never a Kings park. It was at one time owned by Kings Entertainment Company, but so was what is now California's Great America and partly Canada's Wonderland. And the other two Paramount Parks are just as deserving of that appellation as Carowinds.

I'm not surprised a FUN bigwig years back was unfamiliar with Paramount Parks history.

• 6 months later...

Cedar Points has the lake view and the more "extreme" rides, i guess thats the word you can use for them. Cedar Points always been a vacation destination for me. While living within 20 minutes of KI my whole life, its been more of a nostalgic experience for me. Both have their pros and cons but nothing beats the experience lining up at 8:30 am then speed walking  ;) to Maverick. 

• Like 4

• 7 months later...

In the late 1970s there were 3 families:

Family on left was the Geauga Lake family

Family in the middle was the Cedar Point family.

Family on the right was the Kings Island family.

Logic dictates:

My family was the Cedar Point family.

Ergo Cedar Point is the best.

:P

• Like 1