Been to Alton Towers?

Hi...just wondering if anyone has visited Alton Towers in England? I've always thought it looked like a cool park, and I'm going to be in London for several days in July so was considering making the trek up there. Unfortunately, getting there from Central London is a little more involved than what I was anticipating (about 3.5 hours each way requiring train & bus transport), so I was looking for some opinions on whether or not it would be worth the travel effort.

Thanks!

Edit: Also, if anyone has any thoughts on Chessington...that looks like it's a much easier trip from Central London (only about 30 minutes and directly on the train line...)

• Like 6

Thanks for the advice guys...after looking around, I think I'm going to try to visit Thorpes instead of Alton Towers. I think Alton Towers looks amazing (I always have), but the public transportation getting there from London just looks too daunting. And, while I might be willing to give it a go, my traveling partner isn't quite the same level of "enthusiast" as I am and he probably would use a veto vote on the 7+ hour round trip :-)

Thorpe looks like a lot of fun as well...I don't think the theming is on quite the same level as Alton, but their thrill rides look amazing! (And, it will only be about a 45 minute train ride from Central London...) I'll be sure to post a trip report afterward.

• Like 3

I've never been to Thorpe or Alton, but have had British guests at KI that have been there. They have always commented on how long the coasters are. Upon looking at the Diamondback from the Eiffel Tower, one guest asked me why we had two coasters painted exactly alike.

• Like 4

I once hopped on a Train in Venice Italy got off in Belgium to transfer to the Chunnel Train over to London, 3 hours in London before hopping on another train to Whales, then hopping onto a Ferry for Dublin. All told a day and a half later, I reached my end destination (before moving on again 2 days later for Scotland). My point being, 3.5 each way of train travel when in a foreign country is easy, its not every day your going to get the opportunity, make the most of it. How much have you looked into transportation? There is a possibility that you can take a "tour" van out of London to Alton Towers, either way, if your traveling by bus or train, its relatively easy travel as you can kick back and take a nap and don't have to worry about driving.

• Like 3

Actually, change of plans...booked a week in Italy (Rome & Capri) in July instead of London. (I was last in London in 2012, and decided to do something different...might be doing a post-Christmas London trip instead.)

Yes, I too have done the "7 destinations in 10 days" European trips a few times...in Spain, France and the UK. (I drove over 1,500 miles around Spain...swore I'd never do that again) This time, I've decided to take it a little easier...just a week and no more than a few destinations and a few hotel changes. (Maybe I'm just getting old, but that just sounds a lot more enjoyable to me now :D )

• Like 3