Carowinds or Kings Dominion?

I'm thinking about a weekend road trip to either Carowinds or Kings Dominion (trying to get some more use out of that Platinum Pass this year). Either would be a first-time experience for me, and both are roughly the same driving distance from Indianapolis. I would appreciate input from the experts here.

If it helps, my top 5 coasters: Millenium Force, Diamondback, Beast, Banshee, Top Thrill Dragster. I also like rides like Delirium and Drop Tower. Oh, and I'm in the market for a big Snoopy mug, but I'm sure I can score one of those in either park :)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

• Like 8

I am making my first trip to Kings Dominion this year so I can't comment on that.

For me Carowinds is kind of a boring park at least when I went last year. It is awesome they got Fury 325 but I still don't feel the need to run back to that back just to ride it. Afterburn (or at least was last year) is the best ride and Intimidator is about the same as Diamondback. While I enjoy most B&M coasters they are hardly ever near the top of my list and Carowinds seems to be focused on building those. So for me the park is kind of boring and I'd rather go somewhere that has more intense rides to offer.

To give you an idea The Voyage and Maverick are my favorites.

• Like 9

I don't have any advice for you as I have not been to either park but my wife and I will going to both parks in the last week of June this year as well. We are from Indy too. We are spending two days in each park and probably buying a Fast Lane plus pass on one day in each park. Any advice here would be great for us as well!

• Like 7

I am making my first trip to Kings Dominion this year so I can't comment on that.

For me Carowinds is kind of a boring park at least when I went last year. It is awesome they got Fury 325 but I still don't feel the need to run back to that back just to ride it. Afterburn (or at least was last year) is the best ride and Intimidator is about the same as Diamondback. While I enjoy most B&M coasters they are hardly ever near the top of my list and Carowinds seems to be focused on building those. So for me the park is kind of boring and I'd rather go somewhere that has more intense rides to offer.

To give you an idea The Voyage and Maverick are my favorites.

Thanks so much, that's really great info. I was leaning toward Kings Dominion, but my BF/travel companion pointed out that Kings Dominion may be so similar to Kings Island that we might feel like we traveled 5X farther to visit the same park (Eiffel Tower, Flight of Fear, Back Lot Stunt Coaster, etc). I'm not sure if or how much the similarities would bother me, because I love Kings Island. But I do see his reasoning about the extra 8 hours in the car :) And I have about broken the internet watching POV vids of Fury 325!

• Like 6

They are about 4 hours apart. We just did both last weekend.

Anyway, I would go to Kings Dominion. Fury 325, Intimidator, and Afterburn are quite good at Carowinds. Except for Fury, Intimidator and Afterburn are similar to Diamondback and Raptor. You can experience that at KI and Cedar Point easily enough. Fury is the reason to go to Carowinds.

As for KD, Intimidator 305 and Volcano are really unique. In fact, Volcano is one of the most unique coaster in the world. If you liked King Cobra, Shockwave is a really treat. For me, Dominator is the best floorless coaster around. Grizzly was the first wooden coaster I ever been on, so that it will always be in my heart. It was also my first opening day coaster in 1982. Intimidator 305 is my third favorite coaster and probably the most intense coaster I have ever been on. I like this Intamin coaster much better than MF. Drop Tower at KD does not rotate but has same height as the one at KI.

Overall, you cannot go wrong with either. Enjoy either park you choose. One suggestion is that try to get to Busch Garden Europe near Richmond, VA if you choose KD. This park is worth visiting.

• Like 6

Fury 325 is the only reason I would consider Carowinds, over KD.

Having only 1 ride on Fury 325 while we were there, makes me want to ride it more, but I still think if I had to choose, I'd choose KD. As Rustbucket already mentioned, Volcano is an experience not to be missed, as well as I 305. KD is much prettier as well, IMO. Both parks have some of the friendliest staff I've had the pleasure of talking to. In the end the choice you'll have to make, is if the big shiny new B&M is enough to draw you there. I'm guessing it's why they built it ;-).

• Like 6

Never been to Carowinds. I'd love to go. Especially for Fury.

Kings Dominion has its pros and cons. It is not similar enough to Kings Island that it would feel like a waste. The things they do have in common are different enough to be like completely new experiences. Our Stunt track is much different from theirs (thankfully) but the location and positioning alone make it a unique experience. Flight of Fear, last I visited, was very much a different experience from queue to coaster. Seriously.

Intimidator 305 is outstanding and one-of-a-kind (and likely to stay that way) and the position of the brakes on their Drop Zone will have you squealing. Dominator is great. The wooden coasters will be very unlike the ones at Kings Island.Their "Candy Apple Grove" themed area is an equivalent of our Coney Mall, but with a little more nostalgia.

The park has one themed area (formerly Congo, now Safari Village) that rivals Busch Gardens and then some. It's got Volcano (one of the best coasters I've ever been on) and The Crypt (which is superb) in an expertly-themed area that still plays the Tomb Raider film score, with tiki torches, dense foliage, and rocks bursting from the ground. That sort of feeling extends throughout the whole park. While our International Street has Shamu-blue fountains with large white urns, theirs is a dark pool surrounded in evergreens and "natural" geyser-style fountains that's legitimately beautiful.

It's just an entirely different aura. There may be times you feel like you're in Kings Island's evil twin, but the similarities end there. The entire park is loaded with sky-high trees and is much more forested. Very unique. Different clientele, too.

Having been there, if I were equidistant between KD and Carowinds, I'd choose Carowinds. But in terms of first impressions, Kings Dominion comes to mind as worth the drive.

• Like 5

Having just recently visited Carowinds I'm torn. Fury 325 may be my favorite non inverting steel coaster, it's been a while since I've rode I-305 and Millennium Force so I'll have to do some more research before giving it the likely edge. That said I feel that Kings Dominion is currently the more complete park. Volcano and Grizzly are great and Carowinds doesn't have anything on par with those. I do love Carowinds but for me Fury 325 is the only stand out ride there.

• Like 5

In the future, one summer I'm planning to go across the country going to different amusement parks, and Kings Dominion and Carowinds is going to be on my list.

That's exactly what I would like to do as well. Unfortunately I don't seem to have any friends who think this sounds fun. Plus I have to hurry because I'm not sure how many more summers my old lady bones will take that kind of abuse!

• Like 5

Old lady bones made me giggle.

While I doubt you you will regret either park, I would choose KD over Carowinds. You might plan your route to also include Dorney if you go to KD. it is not a huge park, but definitely worth a visit if you want to get more out of your pass / trip if you have the time.

Carowinds is not a bad park by any means. It is easily navigated, nicely landscaped and very clean. I have been twice and would go back as long as I had help with driving. I think they might be experiencing growing pains at the moment. Last summer it was a much slower paced park. Now it's packed and from what it seemed they were a bit stressed over the crowds.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I'll be at Carowinds for the first time Wednesday August 5th from 4-10pm and then the following morning for ERT and a few more hours. I don't need a ton of rides, but should I consider Fast Lane+ to get everything in? Thanks for any comments/opinions in advance.

• Like 2

The dry side of Carowinds isn't usually that busy mid-week at any time of year, but particularly during the Summer as most of the crowds are in the waterpark.  I can't envision a scenario where you'll have too much trouble getting on what you want so I'd wait on any decisions to purchase Fast Lane until you arrive at the park. 

If you're splitting up your visit over portions of two days as you mentioned you'll probably want to wait and ride Nighthawk first thing in the morning on day 2.  I believe that Carowinds has ERT for Gold/Platinum passholders on Fury 325 30 minutes before opening when you're visiting.  I would make sure and get a ride (or 2) on Fury during ERT but be absolutely sure to be in the Nighthawk line by the time 10 rolls around.  It could mean the difference between you waiting 10 minutes instead of an hour. 

• Like 5