The Beast Experience

BeeastFarmer

If the life hill music is not playing on The Beast, would it be considered rude to ask a Ride Op to check on it?

Which music do you like more: The previous music that had The Beast growling, or the current music which is loud, but stops when you are about 60% up the lift hill?

• Like 3

I grew up on it without the music first of all. Secondly, its the kind of ride that doesn't really need music IMO. One thing that cemented that is when I did a Beast tour back a few years ago when they allowed them in conjunction with the Susan G Komen Breast Foundation for breast cancer. It makes its own unique music. There are many sounds unique to it, especially as it rounds through the final helix; it sounds like a distant caged animal. Its surreal. The sounds it makes on its own are good enough for me. I know the speakers are on the two lifts, but wooden coaster chain lifts are among my favorite amusement park noises. The music feels like a gimmick.

This is coming from the mind of musician by the way. ;)

• Like 8

Its especially true for the helix now that I think about it. Since its such a gradual descent compared to most coaster drops (only an 18 degree drop if my memory serves me right), there's this steady build up of sound as you get closer to the tunnel after what is, to me, a rather quiet moment as it just disengages the lift.

• Like 7

I like the sound of going through the first tunnel. Even after riding this coaster since 1983, the feeling surprises and the noise rattles me. Then the coming out of the second tunnel, there is a distinct echo and what I call a "groan" of the train against the track.

I'm really on the fence about the music. I sometimes like it, and sometime don't like it. But currently, a portion of it is set as my ringtone. One more week!

I guess what I really appreciate about this coaster is that it truly engages all my senses...I love the smell of chain lube, the sound of the chain and other sounds, the "feel", the visuals--did anybody see the bucket of rusty bolts just after the second lift hill crest last year? I don't know if it was put there on purpose, or just a maintenance miss, but it added to my ride experience!

(edited for the third paragraph)

• Like 5

The Beast in total darkness is the best coaster ride in the park.

I once saw a deer standing right next to the track about midway through the ride.

Agreed, The Beast is definitly the best coaster in the park at night. When I took my best friend to Kings Island for the first time last October, he absolutley loved it, front seat, I highly recommend it.
  • Like 5

Tip for riding Beast or Racer- ride in the 2nd row of each 3 row car. You're not directly above a wheel housing, thus you'll get less of the jolt when the wheels bang against the track. The exception, for me anyways, is the front seat, though I've also found row 2-1 enjoyable on Beast.

• Like 7

In 2013 (I only went once) and 2014 (ten times), The Beast was very smooth. The only rough part happened when I was in the middle of the train, in the middle car, on the "outside" seat and the lap bar and stomach got into a tumble. Granted, I can only ride in the back a few times each day, but it is a very enjoyable ride. My other favorite coaster, Diamondback, seemed a little rougher than previous year, as far as roughness could be imagined on this ride. The only jar was from the very back seat, but the experience was soooo worth it.

The ride ops were outstanding in 2014 on The Beast, especially on Sundays in October. Could not have asked for better effciency or hosts/hostesses.

• Like 5

I think the music is ok but with it stopping before you reach the top feels weird. Think it has enough ambience to not need it, but fine with it. The announcements interrupting it are a bit annoying though.

Best ride ever was at Halloween Haunt year ago. Rode front row with a friend and only other riders were in the back car so could to hear them. With only seeing the track ahead as hearing no one else felt like we were alone in the middle of the woods at night. It was amazing. Almost forget where you are at and that there is a whole train of cars behind you.

• Like 4

I think my best The Beast experience was during Haunt in 2010. The park closed at 0100, my friend and I went to the que line just a few minutes before that. We rode, and the last train of the night had 3 or 4 folks on it and the ride ops let us ride again. When we returned to the station, someone had taken my friends backpack from the stowage box. The ride op gave him a description, so he took off. I walked from The Beast to the front gate alone...in the fog...with the various Haunt music playing, while they were cycling Diamondback (strange to hear with no screams) and various other attractions. Just a very surreal experience. My friend did find the people who had his backpack, who claimed it was a "mistake."

• Like 4

I think the music detracts..wasn't it introduced for the ride's 25th anniversary? I also don't like the announcement to remain seated with your hands and legs inside the car at all times played over and over.

• Like 3

I rode The Beast many times as a younger person. But I did not go to KI at all from 1995-2006. Earlier in life, I did not appreciate the nuances of the ride. So in the many times I have ridden since 2006, there has always been music and the annoying, but at times endearing, warnings to "remain seated at all times, please keep hands and legs inside the car at all times" is part of my The Beast internalized experience. I kind of miss it when it is not on. But I do so much enjoy the "music" The Beast makes on his own.

• Like 3

The Beast did not disappoint today. Changes I noticed: First lift hill, no music, but the "announcment" plays three times and now includes: "Welcome to The Beast!" before the "Remain seated at all times. Please keep hands and legs inside the car at all times." On the second lift hill, music is included, and I think I heard a faint growl, reminiscent of the "old" The Beast music. Ride ops were great, crowd was great and lines went through very quickly.

• Like 7

Even "It's A Small World After All?"

Terp, who likes to ask questions.

One is an iconic earworm; the other is simply a superfluous and unneeded announcement :)

"It's A Small World After All" was also written for a ride that needs a song. Otherwise, you're floating in a boat, watching silent, dancing, mechanical children in awkward silence.

Admittedly, I love the music and songs of Disney Parks and even own a pair of soundtracks, one for Disneyland and another for The Haunted Mansion, featuring their iconic themes and many of their more obscure material, such as holiday specific music.

• Like 3

Even "It's A Small World After All?"

Terp, who likes to ask questions.

That would be a tough one. As far as my statement goes I would have to agree with you "It's A Small World After All" would ruin the ambience more, but I might actually prefer it to the dumb announcement.

"It's A Small World After All" was also written for a ride that needs a song. Otherwise, you're floating in a boat, watching silent, dancing, mechanical children in awkward silence.

Admittedly, I love the music and songs of Disney Parks and even own a pair of soundtracks, one for Disneyland and another for The Haunted Mansion, featuring their iconic themes and many of their more obscure material, such as holiday specific music.

I once was on Small World when the sound died. Boring it was until everyone started to sing It"s a Small World After All. A fun ride

• Like 4