Red Track spotted at Batavia Steel Plant

Oldschool75

• 1 month later...

My dad and I drove past the Batavia Steel Plant and I spotted the red track, there was brown track, and I saw silver structures. I was not completely able to make out what the silver structures were. I'm sorry I didn't get any pictures.

The brown track appears (to me) that it might be dive machine track. It looks wider and thicker than the red track.

I think that has pretty much been conveyed its either Dive or Wing track ;)

Sent from a signal coming out of the Vega system.

Wing coaster track isn't nearly that wide and thick.  Its more similar to B&M's non-dive machine models.  The brown track in question looks to be precisely for a dive machine.   I'm 99.999...% sure of it. 

• Like 3

After reviewing all the recent tracks for Thunderbird, Diamondback, Banshee, Fury 325, Krake, Griffon, and the mystery track; this is not a Dive coaster.  If this track is for CP, then Millie is getting a big sister.  The paint job and track matches Fury 325.  I went through the lift hill pieces, and different elements.  They all match bolt patterns and design. 

It's not big enough for a dive coaster, unless it seats 4 across. This track size is the exact same as Fury. Dive track also has straight cross supports, this is has curved.  I have not seen any other Dive track with curved cross supports, unless this is a new version. Believe what you will, but I say this is not Dive track.

• Like 1

^^You do realize B&M designs also have changed over the years and have adapted with new technology. What once was, doesn't mean always.

The original track used to not have as tight of tolerances. There used to be bearings between the support column and track section it was attaching to. This brown track is very wide, and could support a dive coaster or wing rider.

It could be a 6 across train like Oblivion at Gardaland, or Baron 1898 in Effieling. 

• Like 2

Thanks for that. Again, what once was, isn't always. Designs change with the times, and advances in manufacturing/technology.

I'm convinced the new track is for a wider, heavier style of train. I don't see it being used on an invert, but Banshee did seem to have a bit wider gauge of track on it, however I don't have exact measurements, only speculation and a bit of observation.

I will say, seeing wide two toned track from B&M with a painted spine is very Rob Decker/new Cedar Fair styling that's been copied since Gatekeeper, which leads me to believe it's a Cedar Fair installation. However Mako did do a two tone between track spine/rails deal. 

The only reason I'm skeptical still that Cedar Point is geting a coaster next season is given the recent upgrade for Rougarou and addition of Gatekeeper. That's a very small timeline for a coaster, however it's been done in an even smaller timeframe before. Second, the area that would be utilized for a coaster doesn't seem to have much activity for it. Notice how Banshee already had the majority of groundwork completed by this time in 2013. 

I'm still under the assumption a new flat ride is coming to Cedar Point or possibly a dark ride, but I think this year Kings Island will be the park for the Dark Ride investment if the parks are slotted to receive one for next season

• Like 2

Couple things..

The Rougarou project was a smaller project (roughly $5-7m if I had to guess).  It wasn't a new coaster, just an enhancement of an existing one.  It likely took the place of smaller projects like midway renovations and/or a few flats, rather than a new coaster.

I'd love a new invert that was more like Banshee - trains, mag brakes, no pre-drop, relentless from lift to brakes, oh and make it a terra coaster with elevation drop-offs.  Naturally, that's got about a 0.0000001% chance of happening.

2016 will be three years since the newest coaster; again, Rougarou doesn't really count.  Major coasters since 1990 previously came in '91, '94, '96, '00, '02, '03, '07, '13.  Mind you, new management has new philosophies so trends only go so far.  That said, it's generally been every 2-4 years with the exception of Gatekeeper.

They've already got the entire site leveled.  Utilities are likely available nearby off of Perimeter Road.  Also, their off-season is a few weeks longer.  CoasterMania! 2012 was held on Fri, July 13, and that's the day they announced the impending demolition of Space Spiral and Disaster Transport.  It's only the 18th.  They didn't announce Gatekeeper until several weeks later.  We already know they're going to announce the new project in August, so the timing is really similar.  They've got plenty of time to build the ride.

The two-tone track paint jobs are awesome.  Just the way Fury 325's spine glistens in the sunlight is amazing.

• Like 3

The difference in the lift track you see of the brown track is just the chain return trough is inside of the spine wheras Baron is below.

I doubt something new in terms of design portfolio, B&M doesn't really go out on a limb in terms of prototypes like this. They work with what they know essentially. However, it can always happen. 

I do know that they won't install another Invert from B&M. They have Raptor which is a fantastic B&M and is still cranking out riders. I'd love to see new trains on Raptor, however it's been confirmed that can't happen. 

• Like 3

Woops, left out the part about how that's never gonna happen.  That was kinda important and got lost between chair and keyboard.   ;)

I'd love it if it did happen, but there's really no way.  The best we can hope for is really new/modified trains and mag brakes.

I also left out of this post how it's my 1000th post.  1000 already?  Guess I need to find a new hobby.   :ph34r:

• Like 2

Regardless, track is developed and not on a truck yet for transport, meaning it's ready and sitting idly by. When you start to see pieces get ready to ship, look for announcements. Banshee had it's transfer table loaded up right around announcement time. Gatekeeper was the same way. Right after announcement, there's no reason to hide it, and might as well go full force for next years project.

• Like 5

Just looking at the brown track, I'm trying to imagine a name that could go with that color. I know oftentimes the color has nothing to do with the name of the ride, but I immediately think of either a western themed ride or something to do with the earth. Since Maverick is already themed towards the west, I feel like we can count that out.

I always have enjoyed guessing the name and theme of the ride as much as what type of coaster it will be.

• Like 2

They have that goofy Valravn (hope I spelled that right) copyrighted and the name fits a Dive Coaster very well, just not one at Cedar Point.

Knowing Cedar Point, this ride is not going to be a small one. I expect it to be an 8 or 10 across model, most likely the tallest and longest of its kind.

• Like 1

How well the parks are or aren't themed was not my point.

You know how Busch Gardens Tampa uses an African theme for pretty much everything? SeaWorld uses.....The Sea. Etc, Etc. Last I checked, Cedar Point wasn't a park themed to European Folklore.

It's been getting Better. Have to give some sort of break. When Cedar Fair bought the park all the themeing had to go too.

Italian Stunt Job to Backlot Stunt Coaster. The only thing they could really keep were the effects, and the trains. All other themeing was gone. 

But you still have The Beast, and Banshee, even Diamondback has a little bit of theme to it. 

• Like 2

Cedar Fair could have kept ALL the themeing.

It CHOSE not to, and not to pay beyond the time included in the purchase from CBS.

And Italian Job's trains were changed. They had been BMW branded cars. Cedar Fair chose not to pay for that, either.

And Cedar Fair could have bought CBS's interest in the Mason Great Wolf Lodge. Cedar Fair chose not to pay for that either.

• Like 6