Kings Island Music

Delirium2018

Taft/ KECO era: "Sabre Dance" Aram Khachaturian, "Hoedown" from Rodeo by Aaron Copland.

Paramount era: "Italia" from The Talented Mr. Ripley by Gabriel Yared, "Rose" from Titanic by James Horner, "The Breakfast Machine" from Pee Wee's Big Adventure by Danny Elfman, "Pirates" from The Pagemaster by James Horner, "Chinatown love theme" from Chinatown by Jerry Goldsmith, Theme to Ghost by Maurice Jarre, Superman Main Title by John Williams, "Marion's Theme" from Raiders of the Lost Ark by John Williams, "St. Elmo's Fire theme" by David Foster, Love theme from Franco Zefferilli's Romeo & Juliet by Nino Rota, Top Gun Anthem by Harold Faltermeyer.

Cedar Fair era: "Happy" by Pharrell Williams, "Home" by Phillip Phillips, "Give your heart a break" by Demi Lovato, "Trouble" by Taylor Swift.

• Like 7

Here's ones I remember.

Paramount era- Theme to Terms of Endearment- Michael Gore (I'm not even kidding, awkward much considering what the movie is about), Theme to The Saint- Orbital, Theme from A Summer Place- Percy Faith and His Orchestra, the entire Top Gun soundtrack in the queue, Raider's March- John Williams (AE queue), The Day We Fight Back- Independence Day- David Arnold, Fratelli Chase- Goonies- Dave Grusin, I Feel For You- Chaka Khan (QTV), Smooth Criminal- Michael Jackson (QTV), Baby Elephant Walk- Henry Mancini

Cedar Fair era- The Walker- Fitz and the Tantrums, What's On Your Mind (Pure Energy)- Information Society (FUN TV), Right Now- Van Halen (Drop Tower queue), Song 2- Blur (Invertigo queue), various music off of the Ocean's 11, 12 and 13 soundtracks in the Backlot queue (at least they used to)

• Like 5

I can add some from the Cedar Fair era:

"Waiting for Superman"- Daughtry

"If I lose myself" and "Love Runs Out"- OneRepublic,

"Waiting for Tonight"- Jennifer Lopez,

"Mountain Song" and "Little Talks"- Of Monsters and Men,

"Radiate" and "If I had Eyes"- Jack Johnson,

"Best Song Ever" and "That's what makes you beautiful"- One Direction,

"Mermaid" -Train

"Just a fool" by Blake Shelton/Christina Aguliara

...plus I know there are lots of other songs on the main playlist that I can't think of at the moment. I've also heard "Pedal to the Medal" (Kazzer) in line for Backlot and "Nightmare" (Bioshock) was played during KI's Skeleton Crew.

• Like 2

But then, there was the extremely awful, terrible opening day, 2009, which was basically ultra-old, gross "grandpa rock" blasting out all over the park, including the kids' area(!) I mean, horrible! The insultingly poor choice of music included Pink Floyd's "Welcome to the Machine," "American Woman" by the Guess Who (which at the time was so out-dated, even 30-somethings were like, "What the?") ...and the ridiculously out-of-place "Losing My Religion" by R.E.M. After my first ride on Diamondback, I walked around until I realized that the stupid music was everywhere, so I left the park and didn't return until mid-season, 2011. That's when I realized all the "magic" was gone. I learned to accept that symphonic music will never be played over "International Street" ever again, so it's at least tolerable nowadays.

;)

• Like 5

Speaking of horrible music (choices)..

Cedar Point Media Day 2014. The new thing was the renovated Gemini Midway with Pipe Scream and Lake Erie Eagles.

What should I hear but a song about a guy wanting to be lazy, laying in bed all day, only getting up to get laid.

That really fits in with the child-friendly atmosphere they were going for.

Wait, no, the opposite of that.

Hmm, Worlds of Fun. I hear that park is pretty FUN. It also opened for the season yesterday..

• Like 5

Probably the same people who request all the copyright material in order for the park to play it in the first place. I imagine there is some thought put into it. Some places (mainly grocery stores and malls, though I imagine amusement parks do this to an extent as well) will select certain music to play at certain times in order to get customers to do certain things.

• Like 4

Probably the same people who request all the copyright material in order for the park to play it in the first place. I imagine there is some thought put into it. Some places (mainly grocery stores and malls, though I imagine amusement parks do this to an extent as well) will select certain music to play at certain times in order to get customers to do certain things.

Music licensing is much easier than that. It's mostly a matter of just paying. And paying. And paying. And then playing.

• Like 7

One purchases licenses from ASCAP, BMI and SESAC. These organizations then pay the royalties to their members (the artists).

Anyone who plays music as part of operating a business (DJ, Amusement Park, Grocery Store, Bar that features local bands, Bands themselves) must purchase licensing before playing and/or performing someone's music in any kind of public venue. Such licensing can be "blanket" licensing, which means (in addition to covering material played by performers in their venues) that proper license holders can play any genre they want to, as long as the songs in their rotation are covered by the license(s).

• Like 3

It would be covered already by existing licensing. The effort is pretty much checking the publishers' database of "covered" songs and member artists before deciding to add a song to your rotation. One doesn't have to directly request permission every time a new song comes out. The permission is inherent in the license (provided it covers the new song and/or the artist, and that it is paid-up).

• Like 3

There also have been recent changes in the copyright law that lessen strictures on small venues playing the radio, recorded music over a single speaker or televisions. Not just music but also sports games, newscasts, television shows, radio news--all require licensing unless otherwise exempt.

Ask Camden Park. Or don't. The place nearly closed some years back over music copyright licensing evasion.

Terp, who is not engaged in the private practice of law in Ohio, West Virginia, the District of Columbia or any United State. The above is not a complete summation of any area of law and may or may not be applicable to a particular situation. Consult a competent attorney in the relevant area and area of law if you have, or think you may have, a legal problem. Do not EVER allow license to the author herein to sing in your presence. You have been warned. Does anyone actually read these things. Question mark omitted to not draw attention. This is a disclaimer, a long one.

• Like 4

Don't think too hard about seeking any copyright permissions. A membership to ASCAP and/or BMI is very well within CF's budget. Those two should cover them for any 'public performance' of just about any recorded music (I'm sure there are outliers). They probably need such a license for some of the shows (assuming they're covering recorded music in any of them).

I miss 'themed' music in the park. Even if it was movie soundtrack stuff in the PKI days, it had a theme that wasn't "here's a ton of stuff you've heard on the radio over the last 20 years."

Maybe it's nostalgia, but I do miss the pre-PKI music around the fountains. Hearing Saber Dance, in particular, brings back memories of the park as a kid.

• Like 4