Immersive Dark Ride Planned For Kings Island?

BoddaH1994

Awesome article. Thanks for sharing.

I really, really like the "world underneath our parks" bit. It makes me happy that they're adding depth to the existing parks' themes. The only thing that concerns me is the really, really vague story of Wonder Mountain's Guardian--even by modern shooter dark ride standards, there really isn't a story there. A shooter dark ride without a story is basically a video game. I'm curious to see how Knott's dark ride develops... I'm optimistic that the future inclusion of Garner-Holt will mean that the stories will be fleshed out.

Also, "empty boxes," huh? Is there any more prominent of an empty box in Cedar Fair's chain than The Crypt's?

• Like 15

I could do without the gun aspect. But kids seem to like them. And that is the target demographic of a ride like this.

I tried watching a POV of Wonder Mountain's Guardian and couldn't 100 percent tell what was going on. Are there any hills & thrills after that first swoop down from the lift hill? Is there actual scenery in front of the screens or is it JUST screens?

The "empty box" definitely sounds like a hint for KI fans.

• Like 5

^^ I haven't ridden it, but it's my understanding that that first drop off the lift is the only true coaster part. The rest is powered by drive wheels or some other electric drive. Spoiler for the last scene:

The last scene features a Verbolten- or Thirteen-esque free fall track. The ride ends shortly thereafter.

Apart from some theming around the station, it's entirely screens. For Halloween Haunt, the park changed the screens to a zombie-themed program, which is related to what Ouimet mentioned about changing the program with one button (or something to that effect.)

• Like 3

Wowzers! I wonder what story is under KI?

I'm really happy about this. I don't mind the shooting gallery aspect, it seems kids are less afraid when they have a defense against the monsters. Having them shoot sure beats a parent or guardian having to carry them out of the attraction while the kid rants off an Irish cussing fit. (Yes. That did really happen)

This is going to be such a great addition.

• Like 6

The Beast would be a good theme for a dark ride at Kings Island, although basing a ride of another ride might be a little meta. There are elements that you experience on The Beast that can be incorporated. On cool humid days there is fog coming off the Little Miami River that you ride through. On summer nights there are fireflys. The woods and the river can be used in the background. The Beast is the obvious antagonist.

• Like 5

I'm curious to see what Knott's ride will be like. Looks like it will be more of a standard dark ride and not a coaster hybrid like CW. I would prefer that I think as the coaster part of Wonder Mountains Guardian doesn't seem that amazing.

Though it would probably depend on where they put it. Seems to be used as an easy way to get to the top and have multiple layers to the ride to circle down since it is a more vertical space than spread out. But we have two empty boxes essentially right now they could build in: The old Crypt building and the old Action Theater building. Both would be good spots. Personally I'd want a dark ride in the Action Theater spot and a themed wild mouse like Mystery Mine where Crypts building is.

• Like 3

Yay! I've been wanting a GOOD dark ride at KI for years.

As for the shooting aspect of dark rides...

I don't mind the shooting gallery aspect, it seems kids are less afraid when they have a defense against the monsters. Having them shoot sure beats a parent or guardian having to carry them out of the attraction while the kid rants off an Irish cussing fit. (Yes. That did really happen)

...this.

This makes me really excited. We haven't had a good dark ride since Phantom Theater imo... I would love for them to take a spin with the story of the ammunition factory. Only problem I see with that route though is I could see some one complaining about it being insensitive towards the families that lost loved ones in the explosions but I hear stories about that every year when Haunt starts.

• Like 5

If a new dark ride is going in the Crypt building, I would like to hope it would have additions to it. A tracked dark ride there, with the current building, would be fairly short all things considered. Its got size in terms of height, but its not a lot of floor space.

• Like 2

Since Missouri Jane was an actual person buried in the cemetery that now resides in the parking lot, I think that out of respect the park is unlikely to ever make use of her "legend." They want to avoid desecration, and drawing too much attention wouldn't help that.

I would much rather they use Banshee in a storyline than Beast, even though the character of The Beast is more appealing to me in general. To me, one of the cool things about The Beast is that we don't know exactly what it is. Revealing it too much would remove the mystery and thus some of the fear.

Whatever they do, I really hope for a cohesive plot. If you couldn't make at least a 30 minute cartoon about the backstory, I'd be disappointed (Phantom Theater's backstory probably could have made feature-length if they focused on each of the performers).

• Like 8

Using the old Crypt building......How about the Gunpowder Factory Ghost Mines? It would have mine tunnels, explosions, and a hidden treasure before plunging to the depths of the mine to meet your demise. I'd make it with several turntable tracks, elevators to different levels and some dips and drops to make the ride nearly unique with every ride.

• Like 12