Immersive Dark Ride Planned For Kings Island?

BoddaH1994

It's about time dark rides made a come back at Cedar Fair parks. It's only been a twenty year wait for CP, and even longer for Dorney. I would love to see a traditional dark rides over all else (think pretzels and Tracy), but almost anything is an improvement of no dark ride.

As for KI back story, there is always this...

https://clevnet.bibliocommons.com/item/show/864206048_the_beast

Licensing and royalties may be an issue.

• Like 9

^I never ever knew that book existed! I want to read it now. Always did enjoy R.L. Stine as a kid.

As for these future additions, I'm surprised Ouimet is giving out information so freely. I guess it's nice to know, though. I also did not see every park in the chain getting a dark ride, but again, this is a very pleasant surprise. The part about Garner Holt also gives me hope that the future installments will be millions times better than what WMG looks like.

• Like 3

I'd like to see something like Wonder Mountain's Guardian. Obviously with a theme related more toward Kings Island. Ride wise, I'd rather it be a roller coaster type experience. I do enjoy the fact that these rides could run more than one theme in a day...during the day it could be something fun, but in the evenings it could be something scary such as the Zombie experience at Canada's Wonderland.

• Like 2

My two cents: Put it in The Crypt building. Incorporate theming from Kings Island and Miami Valley Railroad, The Beast, and the original Bat, all themed around Rivertown. Make it its' own ride, but incorporate history. Or they could tear down The Crypt's building and rebuilt Kenton's Cove Keelboat Canal. Then put the dark ride in The Action Theater and tie Banshee into it.

^I never ever knew that book existed! I want to read it now. Always did enjoy R.L. Stine as a kid.

There's also a sequel to that book, The Beast 2. Make sure to read them in order. :)

I used to own the first Beast book by R.L. when I was a kid, I should of held on to it better. I havent read the second one, but I'm trying to buy both books on Amazon.

• Like 3

I don't see this happening at Kings Island.

But the parks' CEO clearly does.

CW is booming though. Look at all the stuff they bee adding.

I thought Carowinds was the park that's been doing the bee (hornet, actually) adding.

I meant Carowinds.

The CEO already knows Kings Island has a dark ride. You think he doesn't know this?

His point is that the CEO indicated that the WMG ride system would find its way to all 11 Cedar Fair properties, regardless of whether or not they currently have a dark ride. Whether you see the ride system going to Kings Island or not is somewhat irrelevant, because the CEO has already more or less said that it will.

And because this post comes off sorta harsh and I don't want it to, I'm adding the obligatory forum smilie face: :)

• Like 12

His point is that the CEO indicated that the WMG ride system would find its way to all 11 Cedar Fair properties

Hmm.. Did Matt say that, 100% without a doubt, all 11 properties would receive these installations?

Cedar Fair president and CEO Matt Ouimet plans to eventually expand the Amusement Dark concept to all 11 park locations in the chain.

"I think ultimately you'll see them at every Cedar Fair park," said Ouimet, a former Disney executive who served a stint as Disneyland president.

Plans, think? He doesn't guarantee it.

With no Amusement Dark projects currently in the pipeline, it’s unlikely we'll see any new dark rides added at any Cedar Fair parks in 2016 — but that hasn’t stopped Ouimet from planning for 2017 and beyond.

So.. They've either got 9 of these things in the 5-year plan, or Matt was simply saying that it is his intent to deploy more Amusement Dark installations. He doesn't guarantee that this will happen, and it sounds like they haven't even figured out what they might do for at least some of the parks. Might this end up happening? He seems to want it to. Just keep in mind it's hardly set in stone.

"We have blank spaces and empty boxes at every park," Ouimet said.

This isn't a hint of anything.. Anyone who knows much about the chain knows that there are some parks with empty land and others with empty buildings of a size that could fit one of these things. Knott's is currently putting one into an empty building. Doesn't mean KI will..

• Like 1

The two installations so far (well, one open in WMG, and one coming up in VttIR) are quite different in concept and design. Also:

Instead, the Amusement Dark rides will tell stories about the "world underneath our parks," Ouimet said.

So far, in-house design teams have had wide latitude to dream up unique back stories about mystical creatures dwelling beneath each park — a dragon living inside a faux mountain at Canada's Wonderland and sea monsters lurking below Knott's boardwalk.

So, one might not like them, but it won't be the same ride at all parks. And it's more of a shooting video game than a ride at this point. Sigh.

• Like 1

This is all very interesting news. I'm excited to think that another dark ride could be coming to Kings Island, but not sure how I feel about it being this type of ride. I just watched the POV video for Wonder Mountain's Guardian, and although it looked neat, I feel that it lacks the charm and "full immersion" of classic style dark rides like our own Phantom Theater as well as dark rides from Disney World (Pirates of the Caribbean, Splash Mountain, etc.). In my opinion, shooter dark rides, especially ones that are all 3D screens, feel kind of gimmicky. Unless there is something ultra unique in the ride design itself (Escape From Gringotts, etc.), I feel that the gimmick would get old pretty fast.

Please note though that I'm not discrediting this ride just yet. There are no details at all and is pretty much just speculation whether or not KI will actually get one of these. I'll withhold my judgment until more details are known and I've actually experienced the ride myself. I'm really hoping that KI will get something truly special and not just another lame, half-butted installment.

It would be awesome if they took this new ride technology and re-imagined Phantom Theater with it. I think if they had physical props/sets, merged with 3D screens with animation of the Maestro and other characters, and a unique track design/layout, we would have a dark ride that was truly special. They could call it The Phantoms' Revenge or something. Maybe after the Phantom Theater was torn down, the phantoms took up residence in The Crypt building. Maybe they were responsible for the downfall of that ride. Who knows? I feel like you could be extremely creative with that idea as well as incorporate some KI history into the ride and the back story. I know this is a long shot, but we can dream can't we? :D

• Like 7

^Yeah, I don't know. I think a name like Phantom Theater 2.0 would deceive people into thinking this a new and improved version of the same ride. By calling it something else like The Phantoms' Revenge, it's sort of open to interpretation. Yes it's based on the original, it's back story and characters come from the original, but it's a new thing all it's own. It's not just a rehash of an old ride, it's a new unique experience!

• Like 3

Wow there's a lot of over-generalizing on this page.

1. I don't see why Kings Island couldn't support 2 dark rides. BBoBH is hardly the pinnacle of what dark rides can accomplish.

2. We have Matt Ouimet at the helm instead of Kinzel. I'm sure there will be some sort of quality control in giving a bunch of these to the chain. He's done wonders so far. Remember, he's a former Disney guy. He gets dark rides.

• Like 12

His point is that the CEO indicated that the WMG ride system would find its way to all 11 Cedar Fair properties

Hmm.. Did Matt say that, 100% without a doubt, all 11 properties would receive these installations?

Cedar Fair president and CEO Matt Ouimet plans to eventually expand the Amusement Dark concept to all 11 park locations in the chain.

"I think ultimately you'll see them at every Cedar Fair park," said Ouimet, a former Disney executive who served a stint as Disneyland president.

Plans, think? He doesn't guarantee it.

With no Amusement Dark projects currently in the pipeline, its unlikely we'll see any new dark rides added at any Cedar Fair parks in 2016 but that hasnt stopped Ouimet from planning for 2017 and beyond.

So.. They've either got 9 of these things in the 5-year plan, or Matt was simply saying that it is his intent to deploy more Amusement Dark installations. He doesn't guarantee that this will happen, and it sounds like they haven't even figured out what they might do for at least some of the parks. Might this end up happening? He seems to want it to. Just keep in mind it's hardly set in stone.

"We have blank spaces and empty boxes at every park," Ouimet said.

This isn't a hint of anything.. Anyone who knows much about the chain knows that there are some parks with empty land and others with empty buildings of a size that could fit one of these things. Knott's is currently putting one into an empty building. Doesn't mean KI will..

I see your points, and yeah, you make sense. I misspoke. I apologize.

Under securities law, CEO's must be VERY careful about prospective statements. A good CEO will caveat a statement that the sun may rise in the East tomorrow.

By calling it something else like The Phantoms' Revenge

The Roller Coaster Capitol may not approve of the name. (I am not talking about a park on the shores of Lake Erie).

I believe you mean capital.

Capitol is a state house building.

• Like 6

Exactly, Terpy, prospective statements. I would say that it's not guaranteed until ground is broken or parts show up, but even that doesn't mean much.

Take, for example, a medical center that a large regional healthcare organization decided to build, oh about a decade ago. After much press and fanfare, they did break ground and began both site work and the concrete foundation. They put up signs saying that it was coming soon. Well, the recession hit and that project was shelved.. "Coming Soon" signs were no longer.

Couple years later, they decide to continue ahead with the project. "Coming Soon" signs were put back up and attention was drawn. How soon? Well, I'm still waiting for the day they progress beyond concrete footings in the ground.

Just one of many real-world examples where a company plans on doing something but those plans are not carried out. If Matt were to say that all parks would get the Amusement Dark treatment, and the above happened.. That wouldn't look so good, would it?

• Like 1