Immersive Dark Ride Planned For Kings Island?

BoddaH1994

I like the concept of being able to hit a button and change the entire theme of the ride. Keep the experiences fresh every time!

Also, another potential location that hasn't been mentioned yet is the Action Theater. I know it is currently showing that dinosaur show, but that is probably easy to phase out.

I am interested to see what the back-stories of all of these parks are.

• Like 6

Yea I didn't see anything going for the old dino movie at all last season either. Think Action Theater could be a better location and then leave the old Crypt building for a wild mouse or euro-fighter style coaster.

I am curious as well to see what story they will use for KI's ride since they are all supposed to get park specific stories. There is plenty they could pull from like the supposed ghosts, something around Banshee (though don't think it's likely as the two buildings likely to be used are well away from it's area), The Beast, could do a Phantom's revenge story, something themed to Cincinatti/Mason area history, or something completely new.

If they use The Crypt's old building, I think a cool idea would be to make a story surrounding the entire Rivertown area. Something that incorporates The Beast into it but is about the Rivertown as a whole. Like maybe it was a prosperous mining town, then sighting of a creature in the woods and some disappearances of miners ran a bunch of people off and turned it into pretty much a ghost town and it went bankrupt and is limping by. The ride is themed into going into the mines in search of the abandoned gold and end with an encounter with The Beast (but not getting a good look at it to leave the mystery. Have it shrouded in fog and/or shadows so you never really see it. Just some blurs and flashes of orange) mostly just sounds and shadows throughout the ride until you get "attacked" and barely escape at the end.

• Like 7

Under securities law, CEO's must be VERY careful about prospective statements. A good CEO will caveat a statement that the sun may rise in the East tomorrow.

By calling it something else like The Phantoms' Revenge

The Roller Coaster Capitol may not approve of the name. (I am not talking about a park on the shores of Lake Erie).

I believe you mean capital.

Capitol is a state house building.

Oops, my bad.

• Like 2

By calling it something else like The Phantoms' Revenge

The Roller Coaster Capitol may not approve of the name. (I am not talking about a park on the shores of Lake Erie).

Oh, is that name already taken? I was just writing the first ideas that came to mind. I said you could call it something like The Phantoms' Revenge. Obviously if that name is already taken you'd call it something else. The point was to name is something that didn't sound like a rehash of an old ride, but name it something where people knew it was it's own thing while also making reference to the old. Another option might be "The Phantoms Return" or something like that. I don't even know why we're talking about this, lol, it's not like it's actually going to happen or anything!

what so interesting is that as much as CF (at least in years past) doesn't or didn't invest in thutheming, it still makes a difference. Last night (opening night) the park was packed and my two kids were tired of waiting in every line for rides. It was interesting while waiting for Backlot Stunt Coaster that my daughter (who was finally tall enough this year) said - we have to with all this time to ride this?!!?! to which my son replied - It's a long wait but its SO worth it because they built it so well (theming, police cars, explosions etc) now I WISH he could have ridden it during its first season or two when it actually had all that was INTENDED to be there, but even as minimal as it is now, just that little bit of story makes it "worth the wait"to him. Same with Adventure Express (sorry state of that theming as well) they love that its not BIGGER FASTER TALLER only. I hope that current direction can blend the two a bit. I realize we will never see a "DISNEY" dark ride (or even the level that Paramount did with TRTR) but when some of the infrastructure is still there (Adventure Express) or easy to incorporate, I think CF is missing an opportunity to connect with a market. I think Dollywood has done a good job of overlaying theme to "off the shelf" rides in ways that tell a story without breaking the bank.

• Like 12

His point is that the CEO indicated that the WMG ride system would find its way to all 11 Cedar Fair properties

Hmm.. Did Matt say that, 100% without a doubt, all 11 properties would receive these installations?

Cedar Fair president and CEO Matt Ouimet plans to eventually expand the Amusement Dark concept to all 11 park locations in the chain.

"I think ultimately you'll see them at every Cedar Fair park," said Ouimet, a former Disney executive who served a stint as Disneyland president.

Plans, think? He doesn't guarantee it.

With no Amusement Dark projects currently in the pipeline, it’s unlikely we'll see any new dark rides added at any Cedar Fair parks in 2016 — but that hasn’t stopped Ouimet from planning for 2017 and beyond.

So.. They've either got 9 of these things in the 5-year plan, or Matt was simply saying that it is his intent to deploy more Amusement Dark installations. He doesn't guarantee that this will happen, and it sounds like they haven't even figured out what they might do for at least some of the parks. Might this end up happening? He seems to want it to. Just keep in mind it's hardly set in stone.

"We have blank spaces and empty boxes at every park," Ouimet said.

This isn't a hint of anything.. Anyone who knows much about the chain knows that there are some parks with empty land and others with empty buildings of a size that could fit one of these things. Knott's is currently putting one into an empty building. Doesn't mean KI will..

Technically the building Knotts used was far from empty. Just storage and remainders of KoD.

Just because it's only been open to the public for a couple months of the year last couple seasons doesn't mean it hasn't been in real usage. Sorry your post, imo, made it sound like the box has been totally vacant ever since that Crypt ride went buhbye. The building at Knotts was basically a indoor junkyard after KoD was ended along with the dinos left standing until they fell apart (Well more than they already were before it closed...) but again that was not empty and used for nothing either.

• Like 1

I don't think having a huge building on a main artery of the park closed the majority (all of the regular) season counts good use as an attraction. Haunt is a seasonal "extentsion" and as such should use temporary structures or at least not tie up major structures that that be used for full season attractions. If there REALLY is no plan for the space that fine, but to say its in use isn't really a fair statement. If the building was a main season attraction then received a halloween overlay, then that would be better. Even the action theatre is not as bad since its basically hidden and hard to get to unless you really need to get back to it. The only thing helping the TRTR (crypt) issue is that the landscaping has finally grown in to look the way it was intended to from its opening day of a tomb deep in the jungle and it hides it better.

• Like 4

I would have no problem at all if they wanted to do an overhaul on that building and install some type of dark ride and call it The Crypt. As long as the theme made sense and there was a good reason to name it that. I've always thought a dark ride in that area and in that building would be awesome. I'd love to see that building get some use rather than to just sit there for the majority of the season closed. I also feel that you really can't say that building is "in-use" if it's only used for "Haunt." Visitors who come to KI during the summer time might not come to Haunt, so to them, that space is just empty and closed. That can't give them a very good opinion of our park if they think we just have a bunch of empty, unused spaces sitting around not being used (in their minds at least). I think we need to revive that building and make it an all season attraction. Then for Haunt, we could give it an overlay, just like they used to do with Phantom Theater. I think that would work out the best and should satisfy everyone.

• Like 3

If they use that building for one I really hope it gets a theme to fit Rivertown. As great as TRTR was I always felt it stuck out in the middle of a western themed area having an Asian inspired jungle feel. It would be easy to retheme it as a mine.

• Like 5

Oh guys I got it. The reason they revealed the Crypt's sign is because they're making a new dark ride there and paying homage to the former ride, similarly to what they did with The Bat.

It's obviously the only answer.

</sarcasm>

I imagine a dark ride paying homage to The Crypt would be a slow ride in a circle around the big box with no sound and no particular theme, and then the ride's over. It would seem the only appropriate way to pay tribute to that abomination of a ride.

• Like 4

I think they'd get rid of Boo Blasters and replace it with something that fits the Planet Snoopy area eventually. Maybe another family flat with Snoopy theming.

I hope they'd keep Boo Blasters, or at least the Boo Blasters ride system - it's one of Kings Island's most inclusive attractions. Practically any guest can ride, regardless of height, physical limitations, service animals, etc. If they put a Wonder Mountain like attraction, with a roller coaster or drop segment, it'd prevent many guests from enjoying the experience.

• Like 3

I agree, Boo Blasters ride system is terrific for anyone, I also hope they stick with a haunted environment, not nesessairly Phantom Theater but something similar. I think The Bat, Beast, or Banshee would all make great themes, though I doubt they will use those. Maybe we need something fresh but also familar.

• Like 3

As I recall, CF trademarked "Amusement Dark" a while back and it was brought up as speculation of a new ride of some sort. I'm guessing that the concept isn't for a single dark ride in any park but a series of dark rides in every park that would have interchangeable themes. Dark rides typically cost less than rollercoasters (with the exception of Disney's elaborate rides) and with interchangeable themes could be "new" for years to come...what a cost savings for CF, so I wouldn't be surprised if we end up seeing several dark rides in all of the parks in the future.

• Like 2

I agree with Spectrum and MaestroJr, I really don't want the omnimover system to leave the Boo Blasters building since it is inclusive to all and makes for great capacity too with constant moving and no real restraints to worry about checking. But it does need a new theme. Maybe the new Peanuts movie coming out will help spark more interest, and story, for the characters with kids and we can get a Peanuts dark ride to fit the area and still be something to appeal for all.

• Like 5