Busch Gardens Tampa: New ride watch

So, Busch Gardens Tampa has a special place in my heart so this is a topic I've been following for a while. I figured I'd make a thread to post news and speculation about their newest attraction in development.

On February 12th, a spokesperson for Busch Gardens, Travis Claytor, announced a new ride would be added in 2016.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/tourism/busch-gardens-to-open-new-ride-in-2016/2217415

The park filed for an expansion of the King Tut's Tomb building, which leads me to speculate that it will be a pretty cool Egypt-themed dark ride/water ride combo. Which to me, sounds pretty exciting!!!

http://tbo.com/news/business/new-attraction-coming-to-busch-gardens-egypt-area-20150212/

Serengeti Railway has been temporarily closed for rerouting.

http://tbo.com/events-tampa-bay/serengeti-railway-temporarily-closes-as-busch-gardens-builds-attraction-20150317/

http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/local/2015/03/18/busch-gardens-tampa-railroad-closes/24966513/

That's all the news I've seen so far but I'll post more as I find it!

• Like 9

Just got my Platinum Pass last weekend and made my first visit to BGT. Not much to see and I was bummed to not be able to ride the train.

The folks (some of them anyways, Terp) on the fansites are saying it is going to be a MACK Spinning Coaster.

I cannot really handle spinning rides, especially tight circles, so I am hoping it is anything but that.

• Like 5

I've heard that as well. But if you notice in the second article, they filed the building expansions with the Southwest Florida Water Management District. I'm not entirely sure why they would have to file permits for a building project with a water management authority, unless maybe it was a water ride. I may be wrong though, does anyone have an insight as to that?

I have also heard some talk of lift hills. I'm currently thinking it might be a log flume ride, stylized similar to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZqRaZmuRUI

This is Lost River of the Pharoahs at Water World in Colorado. It has some pretty impressive theming, and I think Busch Gardens could do something like this only up the ante even more.

The major problem with my theory is that they already have the Stanley Falls Log Flume. I don't know if they'd add a second.

I'd be excited to ride a spinning coaster or a log flume, as long as it has good theming.

• Like 1

I've heard that as well. But if you notice in the second article, they filed the building expansions with the Southwest Florida Water Management District. I'm not entirely sure why they would have to file permits for a building project with a water management authority, unless maybe it was a water ride.

Maybe because the building has water lines? Any expansion would surely require them for sprinkler lines at minimum. :)

• Like 2

If this ride does is involve water (besides the sprinkler systems), maybe it could be a spinning coaster with a splashdown. I picture this creating a whirlpool effect if the cars are spinning when they hit the splashdown! This would look really cool, although I could see this turning dangerous though as cars might get sucked into the whirlpool, causing the ride to valley. If this was a workable possibility, it would be a really unique idea!

-MDMC, just thinking out loud...

• Like 2

It's incredibly smart IF this primarily an indoor attraction. They really don't have any rides there currently that can operate in inclement weather, and it would be a nice way to be able to get out of the blazing sun, heat and humidity during the summer months. This - to me - is probably the park that could use a dark ride/indoor attraction the most just due to the weather conditions that this park has to deal with. I think the actual attraction/ride in this case is secondary to the fact that it may be indoors.

• Like 4

Yep, they are definitely much in need of a dark ride. I think when this thing opens, if it's totally indoors, it will have the longest line in the park during summer!

I wonder, with a splashdown, how well the ride will hold up to the mositure in an indoor environment. Tomb Raider: The Ride/The Crypt didn't stand up to the moisture of exposure to water jets very well. It reached the end of its service life after only ten seasons. They'd have to be very careful about how they do an indoor splashdown and address the moisture exposure problems if they want the ride to be a good, long term investment.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

If it's like Steel Dragon at Waldameer, where it's more of a controlled, slower spin, I can handle it. If it's like the Crazy Mouse coaster I rode this weekend, it may be a one and done thing for me! :P

Edit: Steel Dragon claims to have freely spinning cars. That was not my experience several years ago. One of the rare spinning rides that didn't give me a migrane.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

That looks amazing!!! I wasn't expecting to see any news on it until later today. But I saw this article this morning:

http://www.miamiherald.com/living/travel/florida-travel/article22439055.html

I wonder if it will have any indoor elements as we first believed? It looks like it will be at least partially outdoors.

I love the Cobra, epic theming at its best! And I love the name Cobra's Curse. It goes really well with the Egypt themed area. This ride seems like it'll be not only a blast, but also really nice to look at.

• Like 1