Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow, EPCOT

BB1

I have recently been going through some of my old EPCOT photos and I was recently refreshing myself on the history of EPCOT. One of the key points of EPCOT was that it was supposed to bring the future to today, with a new town that was replicated to what science was pointing towards during that era. As the years changed, and monetary funding changed, EPCOT was then changed to another theme park, rather than a self sustaining mini city. That being said, I would like to see what you guys think about EPCOT: Would you rather have seen a new futuristic city pop up in the WDW, or keep to what EPCOT became and what it keeps changing into as the future comes closer and closer?

• Like 1

I think it would be hard to keep it as a city of the future as technology keeps changing so be hard to do that. Think the path they are going to is best. Keep it an educational park but with lots of rides. IT will help attract kids to it and keep them engaged. Think having the "future" area with all the different pavilions is good and attractions for them and then the world showcase to learn more about other countries and cultures. Though I think they could use some expansion of attractions throughout it. I can understand some disappointment with the Viking ride being removed for a Frozen one, but overall I think it will attract more people and help out, just maybe add some other educational aspect like a small theatre somewhere to it eventually. Think could be good to also add the Ratatouille dark ride to the France area and one in Germany since it has a ride building already. A river rapids ride would go great in Canada.

• Like 4

I see EPCOT as an allegory for corporate culture, society as a whole, monetary short-sightedness and what I call the "Florida Disney Experience," which is now also infiltrating California. As the comany's magic band of profiteers figures out more and more ways to

extract dinero from Disney denizens, the past cannot be frozen in time, but it can unfortunately become part of the future. It's a small world, after all. All too small at times.

• Like 5

Epcot was my favorite part of Disney when I went 15 years ago. Seemed like a lot of Magic Kingdom was under construction for refurbs at the time. I was very disappointed that I couldn't ride the teacups.

So, Epcot was my favorite part. I wasn't super into the futuristic stuff, mostly I loved the World Showcase. It was fascinating to see sort of a snippet of all those countries. I loved the designs of the buildings. I loved all the cool little souvenirs. I don't remember there being a whole lot of rides at the time. The one that really stands out in my mind was the El Rio del Tiempo boat ride in Mexico. I thought that was the coolest thing ever.

It would be awesome if they'd add some thrill rides. Maybe a themed flat in each nation. Make it more of an amusement park than a pleasant walk, but not tear apart the beauty of what it already is. I can see a Whip or Teacups or Monster ride in Mexico where the cars look like sombreros. I love purdude86's idea of a river rapids ride in Canada. Just think of what else they could do!

• Like 1

Only for a few weeks while an extended preview of "Miles From Tomorrowland" is shown. Celebration was intended to be in the spirit of Epcot, but its citizens rightly rebelled against the various limits Disney put on the community such that Disney ridded itself of it rather than deal with the discord. Walt's original vision for Epcot was never sustainable and he knew it. From the get-go, his investors wanted another Disneyland in Florida. During his lifetime, higher ups in the company didn't squawk about the "Florida Project", but after his death, those execs were free to do (with the blessing of Roy Disney, who was always the $ behind Walt's imagination) what was really needed--a resort featuring theme parks.

I still enjoy Epcot, but I think it has veered far away from its original intent to be educational. People want D and E ticket rides all over the parks, so expect to see more rides like Soarin 2.0 (coming in 2016 or 17). I don't think Spaceship Earth is going anywhere, but Energy is just plain awful these days with an early- 90s Bill Nye, Ellen and Alex Trebek. Both Innoventions pavilions will soon be closed, leaving behind the last place in the park to showcase those technologies mentioned above.

• Like 1

When I lived in Orlando, the only times my friends and I went to Epcot was for the International Food and Wine Festival or to play a game we called, "Drink Around the World." When friends with small children would visit (or should I say, use my place as a free place to stay while going to the Disney parks) I would tell them to put Epcot at the bottom of the list due to the lack of rides and things to entertain younger children. I can definitely see why Disney would want to throw some Frozen into Epcot. I have a small wager with my friends that Spaceship Earth will become a Star Wars themed ride in the not too distant future.

Back on point with the community in Epcot.. I believe with the constant changing in technology, that it would be extremely difficult to keep the community ahead of the times. Also, after speaking to some of those who have done the college internship at Disney, I would pass on living anywhere ran by Disney.

• Like 3

Consider that Epcot ultimately was meant to be a permanent World's Fair, in the grand style of pavilions and innovation showcases particularly of the 1964 & '65 Worlds Fairs in New York City. Each pavilion focused on a single, central topic, overseen by one sponsor and containing (in most cases) multiple attractions, restaurants, and shops focused on that topic.

To understand what's happened to Epcot requires a broad view of The Walt Disney Company and its highs and lows; the artistic direction of Imagineering at one time versus another; and reception to what EPCOT Center was. Remember that, at the time EPCOT Center opened, "Disney" was the name of two theme parks: the original Disneyland and its younger sister, Magic Kingdom. A "Disney Park" (long before their corporate combination as such) was castles, fairytales, movie sets, immersion, and fantasy. EPCOT was, quite simply, unlike anything folks could've expected. Science? Technology? Pavilions? Education? Culture? Not a single appearance by Mickey, Cinderella, Alice...

EPCOT changed. And now, Disney's lofty vision of itself tells them that Epcot will always be among the top 5 most visited parks in the world, because why wouldn't it be? No need for renovation, overhaul, updating, or investment beyond the minimum.

Science and technology? Hardly. See Innoventions.

Education? Well... See Test Track, Seas With Nemo, and Mission: Space versus what they replaced.

Culture? See Arendelle (or will it still, insultingly, be called Norway?) or Imagination.

The rumor continues to be that Epcot will get a full, complete, floor-to-ceiling make-over of its Future World. Let's hope.

• Like 3

I think the decision to shift Epcot away from the educational park it was designed for came when the original sponsorship agreements for much of Future World's rides were ending. Companies chose to spend their marketing $ in other places. Those sponsorships helped (and still do) pay for the upkeep of the ride (or, in World Showcase's case) the entire pavilion. Norway was sponsored by the country (which had input on the building's design) at its outset, so it can hardly be called 'insulting'. As long as the big Future World rides have sponsors (Siemens, HP, Chevrolet, Nestle(tho perhaps its sponsorship of The Land is tied into its beverage deal as the provider of chocolate milk) I don't see them going anywhere.

• Like 1

The original idea from an imaginary and romantic standpoint was genius. Throughout the late 19th and into the second half of the 20th century the World's Fair was the world's greatest event and stage. From around the world people witnessed the latest and greatest inventions from electric lights and Ferris Wheels to ice cream cones and television.

From a business standpoint it was stupid and problematic. Much of the allure of the World's Fair was that it was an event that happened once in some years like the Olympics. If the Olympics constantly cycled who would care? Also this idea was behind the times. The world in the 1960-'70s was much different than 1908. The glory days of the World's Fair ended with the development of television and jet travel. A single showcase such as the World's Fair was unnecessary, the very idea quaint. Also, monetization proved to be a problem down the road.

It is a great thing that Disney had business savvy people around him just as it was good for then to have a dreamer in Disney. Rarely can one person do both as these seem to be on polar ends of the spectrum.

I wonder if Walt Disney were still alive what he would think of the company he started. I wonder if he would think like me that Disney has become too commercialized that they are resting on their laurels while raking in the cash. I find it hard to believe that he would support the abandonment of traditional animation and the generally lower quality of Disney animated feature films of late, (post "Disney Renaissance" of late '80s and '90s.). Sorry for that really long post, but I think it was all valuable.

• Like 3

Disney was an innovator, so I don't think he would necessarily dismiss the shift in animation. After all, even when he was alive, the purpose of the company was certainly to entertain, but, in the words of my favorite shark on Shark Tank Kevin O' Leary "To make money!" He may be dismayed at the vast amounts of divisions and properties the company holds, but I think he would be surprised and awed more than anything. Overall, I think he would be satisfied that his little mouse has spurned such a huge empire. As Ki Guy mentioned, the world changes. Either you adapt or get left behind. Disney to me didn't seem like the type to simply stand still. He was personally involved and providing feedback on a number of projects until 2 days before his death.

• Like 5

Soarin'.

Mission: Space.

The experience of walking through World Showcase and browsing the shops.

The variety of restaurants to choose from.

The birds-eye view from the monorail as it passes through EPCOT.

And that's just what I can recall off the top of my head. I'm sure there were many more details that I've forgotten in the two and a half years since my visit.

• Like 4

• 7 months later...

I'm officially "qualified" (to a lesser extent) to join in on this thread. I've wanted to get in on a Disney thread around here forEVER! :)

Last month, I went to Magic Kingdom and Epcot (or EPCOT, as I should apparently capitalize it. I get why people say that now!) Right now, those are the only two Disney parks I've ever visited. I'd never been to EPCOT before, and I was in a stroller during my last visit to the Magic Kingdom. (It's because I was that young. I know what you were thinking.)

I'm right there with Steph88 and jcgoble3. I LOVED EPCOT--definitely moreso than MK, although I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like EPCOT has aged horribly and is kinda forgotten/going in an unnatural direction. It seems like when EPCOT is good, it's really good--I loved Journey Into Imagination With Figment, the World Showcase, Spaceship Earth, the World Showcase, the aesthetics of (most of) Future World, and the World Showcase. Test Track is probably one of my favorite rides ever. I'd put it just below Tomb Raider: The Ride, Curse of DarKastle, and The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man in my top four favorite flat rides. (I wasn't sure if I had the stomach for Mission: SPACE, so it got skipped.) I could live in just about any particular World Showcase pavilion, though I'd personally request France. The pear ice cream and beignets were out of this world.

But when it's bad, it's extremely obvious. The Land building and the area around it is laughably dated and feels as magical as a dying shopping mall. Soarin' was one of the biggest disappointments I've ever had in an amusement park; I can honestly say I prefer Europe in the Air at BGW, which is nothing to write home about. I will admit that I did not experience anything in The Land besides Soarin', so perhaps my judgment is premature... but I'm not holding my breath. The building containing Ellen's Energy Adventure is in the same boat, and its placement is really awkward. Outside of the World Showcase, the appearance of any Disney characters felt incredibly forced--which now makes sense, given bkroz's post. Even within the World Showcase, character appearances don't feel natural, but they're at least excusable because the characters are typically in appropriate pavilions. I am cringing at the idea of Norway becoming Arendelle, because that's so much of a step in the wrong direction for EPCOT's overall theme. If you have to implement the Frozen thing, MK's Fantasyland would feel at least slightly more natural.

Now that I know other people's reactions to EPCOT, I'm a whole lot more curious about the park's original purpose. I'll have to research this. I wonder how my opinions will change because of it.

I'm also curious to know what I will think of EPCOT if/when I make it to the Disneyland Resort. Or, if I should be so lucky, one of the overseas parks.

EDIT: On a related note... Now that I've experienced the Magic Kingdom park, I'm also cringing at the idea of a Star Wars area at Disneyland. Sorry, jcgoble3. If my understanding of Disneyland is accurate, then that will seem like an extremely obvious and out-of-place attempt to stem the tidal wave of Californians descending upon Wizarding World West. But that's me. (Also, I never realized just how unique of a place Wizarding World East is. There really isn't anything comparable around there outside of Universal--all the Disney film properties are limited to specific rides, not entire park areas. The closest comparison is, quite seriously, the Sesame Street kiddie area at BGT. Until this year, Universal was essentially reduced in my head to "We do what Disney does, but without the Disney." It really does stand its own.)

• Like 4

At the park's outset, the WS pavilions were either in whole or in part financed by their respective countries for a set amount of years.  Over time, many, including Norway, didn't re-up. In those cases, Disney has free reign to do what it will with those pavilions.  The Land will get a nice face lift with the 3rd theater (and accompanying digital upgrade to go along with the new film) for Soarin' and hopefully Imagination and Energy will as well.  The boat ride in the Land used to be personally narrated and was much more informative than the current generic auto spiel you get now.  If you're at all interested in what goes on behind the scenes at the Land, spring for the "Behind the Seeds" tour offered there.

• Like 3

Epcot used to be one of my favorite parks anywhere. The original Journey to Imagination (and the upstairs Imageworks), Horizons, World of Motion were all rides I looked forward to on an upcoming trip. I liked how you learned something while still having fun at many of the attractions.

Now I still like the park but not nearly as much. I won't ride Mission Space because the cabin looks very claustrophic, I'm not a fan of Soarin' and the original version of Test Track was interesting with the simulated car tests compared to now where it feels like you are just riding around with blue lights.

It is also frusturating to me to see buildings used for former guest areas like the Millennium Village and Oddyssey yet they still feel the need to close more buildings like Wonders of Life. To be fair, they weren't maintining it well either with the last time I was in there many attractions in the main room were covered with tarps or shut off. If they were going to close Wonders of Life, I would have rather seen Mission Space go there and keep Horizons.

Finally there is World Showcase. There were all those concepts for future rides and the Rhine River boat ride for Germany has the show building built (edit, I see that was already mentioned in an above post) yet half the park only has 1 currently operating ride.

• Like 2

Epcot used to be one of my favorite parks anywhere. The original Journey to Imagination (and the upstairs Imageworks), Horizons, World of Motion were all rides I looked forward to on an upcoming trip. I liked how you learned something while still having fun at many of the attractions.

Now I still like the park but not nearly as much. I won't ride Mission Space because the cabin looks very claustrophic, I'm not a fan of Soarin' and the original version of Test Track was interesting with the simulated car tests compared to now where it feels like you are just riding around with blue lights.

It is also frusturating to me to see buildings used for former guest areas like the Millennium Village and Oddyssey yet they still feel the need to close more buildings like Wonders of Life. To be fair, they weren't maintining it well either with the last time I was in there many attractions in the main room were covered with tarps or shut off. If they were going to close Wonders of Life, I would have rather seen Mission Space go there and keep Horizons.

Finally there is World Showcase. There were all those concepts for future rides and the Rhine River boat ride for Germany has the show building built (edit, I see that was already mentioned in an above post) yet half the park only has 1 currently operating ride.

I agree Future World could use a lot of love.  Lots of capital is being invested right now in Avatar over at AK and Pixar/Star Wars over at the Studios, not to mention Disney Springs and their overseas projects.  Like all good parks, it has a 5 year plan, so I wouldn't be surprised to hear about a big investment in Epcot after those aforementioned projects are opened. Iger and Co. are well aware of the glaring need for improvement at Epcot.  They'll get there.

• Like 2