Kings Island's capacity

Magenta Lizard

Of course they do, as required by fire code. You've probably noticed by now buildings that have those signs up, it's just a little more complicated for the whole park.

Now, whether they choose to go that high before turning people away or not, that I do not know.

• Like 4

:lol: I like how you put that!

I tried doing some research, but it led to a fascinating, albeit impractical result:

1. Given certain, average dimensions of people, including an allowance for personal space, 12,388 people can stand on a single acre of land comfortably.

2. Kings Island is a 364-acre park.

3. 12,388 x 364 = 4,509,232

But of course, no. That would be half the population of New Jersey. So it's back to the drawing board I go!

• Like 9

From the perspective of some guests, Bring-a-Friend-Free Day was indeed awesome. Lots of great memories, friends having a good time genuinely, and lots of new friendships being formed right there in the park, as so many people had this huge "event" in which to share in excitement and fun. The lines were hilariously long (Vortex's would stretch to the Goblet toss), and if you thought basketball bouncing was annoying on regular admission days, thunder, my friends. Thunder. But it was alive, and full of laughter and screams (and not just at food prices).

I have no data to form an opinion about the perspective of the Park during those days. I can only guess a possible underestimation of the percentage of pass holders who would actually participate in the offer? I'll never know.

• Like 6

TEA? Are you cross-threading? I think I'm gonna have to go pick up some iced tea, but not sure where.

You win, Terpy. I'm now sitting here with a mostly-finished Snapple Peach Tea by way of meijer. :P

Wait, sorry, it's only stylized as meijer in their logo. In text, it's Meijer.

Remind you of another recent discussion?

• Like 5

From the perspective of some guests, Bring-a-Friend-Free Day was indeed awesome. Lots of great memories, friends having a good time genuinely, and lots of new friendships being formed right there in the park, as so many people had this huge "event" in which to share in excitement and fun. The lines were hilariously long (Vortex's would stretch to the Goblet toss), and if you thought basketball bouncing was annoying on regular admission days, thunder, my friends. Thunder. But it was alive, and full of laughter and screams (and not just at food prices).

I have no data to form an opinion about the perspective of the Park during those days. I can only guess a possible underestimation of the percentage of pass holders who would actually participate in the offer? I'll never know.

I grew up in a time when the line for Vortex being at Goblet toss was considered short.

• Like 7

Oh, me, too. Vortex's inaugural seasons did, indeed, see mammoth queues! Hey, remember when Screamin' Demon debuted, and you had to pass through the line of people just to get on Der Spinning Keggers? (It was the only time I can remember where two lines criss-crossed.) I think I stayed pretty much out at Giant Slide/Zodiac all that day while my folks did their first ride on that new coaster. I remember, 'cause my dad came over like at 3:00-ish and took us over to Hanna Barbara Land, where my cousin and I marathonned the helicopter ride (the one that allowed you to control "lift" - they later took the helicopter "blades" off and made it a Jetsons' ride) almost the entire rest of the day, and were amazed as we made our way to HBL, at how the line for Screamin' Demon was still past the Keggers! Ah, the memories of this zany little park of ours!

• Like 6

I also remember going to the park to ride FOF on season pass holders only day and encountering a very short, yet 8 hour long line! I remember asking why such a short line (starting at the heightmeasuring pole) would be 8 hours long...I was told that they were only operating one train....so I came back the following weekend to find an 8 hour line.....beginning at The Beast plaza. So, several weekends later, the line started at the Windeeker restrooms. (4 hours) long. I made an internal promise to ride only when the line got smaller. I finally got my first ride in August....only by waiting in a four hour line that started at the toilets....good thing it started where it did.

• Like 3

Back in 2002 or 2003 the capacity reached around 64,000 or 65,000. Remember they had the parking lot camera up that day, and all you saw were endless rows of cars. The parking lot trams ran two to three hours after the park closed. And those bring a friend free days were awesome to work, we got slammed pretty hard those days.

• Like 5

Bring a friend free was awesome.

I totally agree. I went to a few of these events. What was good about these were that they ran on random days during the week. Unlike the current promotions where they run them on Sundays and usually on Mother's Day and Father's Day. The Bring a Friend Free days that I went to were usually on a Monday or Tuesday.

The last one I attended was on a Monday back in the summer of 2006 and my wife and I had just started dating. She had a season pass that year and I did not. That afternoon, I got off work early and we headed out to the park. We had a great time, and if I remember correctly, crowds weren't too bad that day. At least nothing worse than a regular Saturday with no special events going on.

I quite enjoyed these days. It let me take friends who didn't have a pass, and it also let me attend the one year I didn't have one. Great opportunities for people to visit the park when they otherwise wouldn't be able to.

• Like 3

I remember working a 4th of July I did a double shift and was there all day. I remember being told the parking lot was full and they were Peking people out by the softball field. Extremely busy day and I loved every minute of it. I don't know if they didn't allow guests in after a certain point but I can tell you The Racer queues were full and running out past my game.

• Like 1

If you want to park on the grass, just go to Cedar Point on a weekend 4th of July with nice weather. That place gets so beyond packed it's ridiculous.

You might even make the news all the way out to Detroit because of how many hours it took to leave the parking lot.. Er, grass.

And by grass, I mean way back between Mean Streak and Gemini, around the corner from the so-called "Soak City lot".

• Like 3

I remember back in the 90's that Vortex had lines that would extend all the way to Antique Cars, sometimes to Scrambler. I was at Flight of Fear's opening day which was insane. Imagine X-Base's crowds it gets now, but with only Flight of Fear there.

Yeah.

I've also had to park in the grass as well, about where the new wave pool is now.

Back when they had The Beast paw prints from the Eiffel Tower and it had queue lines painted in Rivertown, it would often extend to past Rivertown LaRosa's (thank goodness for the Coca-Cola Cool Zone, I miss that). Son of Beast's line would go past Delirium/King Cobra and sometimes to AE's queue.

• Like 5