Kings Island's capacity

Magenta Lizard

I've been going to KI since the early 80s and I remember quite well the painted queue lines on the ground. Once I got old enough to ride some of the coasters, I remember standing in those queue lines and having to follow the patterns painted on the ground. When I was younger, I don't think there was ever a time I rode Vortex where it wasn't out of the main queue and down by one of the games. That was just normal.

I also remember the opening summer of Flight of Fear. I went one day with some good friends and we must've waited at least a good 4 hours or more. I don't think it was the actual opening weekend, but I think it was pretty early in that season. We waited over 4 hours to have the sense beat out of our heads that day. We all walked off that ride with a headache, so much so, that we didn't really do anything else. I think we grabbed some lunch and then left.

• Like 5

Back when they had The Beast paw prints from the Eiffel Tower and it had queue lines painted in Rivertown, it would often extend to past Rivertown LaRosa's (thank goodness for the Coca-Cola Cool Zone, I miss that). Son of Beast's line would go past Delirium/King Cobra and sometimes to AE's queue.

I was describing that to my stepson when we were there in October. He was amazed anybody would wait in a line that long. I don't think he's been there when it's crowded...that's going to change this season.

• Like 3

I really have no way to verify this, not do I know if its actually true or not, but...

I remember going to the park as a kid one year, it was either memorial day weekend or 4th of July weekend, and it was packed. The line for The Beast extended all the way near the front gates. This would have been early to mid 80s, like around 1984 or somewhere along those lines. Could have been my childhood imagination just exaggerating a busy day, I was too little (or perhaps too scared, can't remember for sure) to ride The Beast back then, so it didn't matter to me, but the thought has always stuck with me. As I've grown older, I seriously doubt my childhood memory is 100% correct, but it makes for a great story :)

• Like 6

I really have no way to verify this, not do I know if its actually true or not, but...

I remember going to the park as a kid one year, it was either memorial day weekend or 4th of July weekend, and it was packed. The line for The Beast extended all the way near the front gates. This would have been early to mid 80s, like around 1984 or somewhere along those lines. Could have been my childhood imagination just exaggerating a busy day, I was too little (or perhaps too scared, can't remember for sure) to ride The Beast back then, so it didn't matter to me, but the thought has always stuck with me. As I've grown older, I seriously doubt my childhood memory is 100% correct, but it makes for a great story :)

And The Beast claws painted on the ground to keep the line orderly.

• Like 4

Although during the 90's The Beast Line would often snake past La Rosa's that was because during those days. ( ie the Paramount years) management hardly ever filled up the switchbacks even on Saturday. Therefore the appearance of a long wait was very deceptive-usually the wait was not longer than 45 minutes.

• Like 2

Yes Jsus I am sure. Was at CP last year on the Saturday of 4th of July weekend-got there at 3p and went to Dragster first-it was about a 15 minute wait. The rest of the rides were also short waits that day. Also remember being at KI back in 2010 on a 4th of July weekend Saturday-it was absolutely gorgeous out and the park was practically empty. Was also at CP Memorial Day weekend back in 2012 and, again, crowds not bad at all. I just don't think amusement parks are a popular form of entertainment on holiday weekends-people prefer to do other things like family picnics.

The Beast queue used to have an additional block of queue lines (the pad is still visible behind the exitway fence), and indeed the lines - with all queues open - would extend to the Eiffel Tower beside the Taxies. Long lines indeed.

Had a Banshee Brew while there, and was pleasantly surprised to see that adult beverage prices have been reduced somewhat (they're only about a buck above Disney/Universal prices now). Curious who brews Banshee Brew? It was tasty, but had a bit of 'pumpkin spice' that I wasn't crazy about.

• Like 3

Yes Jsus I am sure. Was at CP last year on the Saturday of 4th of July weekend-got there at 3p and went to Dragster first-it was about a 15 minute wait. The rest of the rides were also short waits that day. Also remember being at KI back in 2010 on a 4th of July weekend Saturday-it was absolutely gorgeous out and the park was practically empty. Was also at CP Memorial Day weekend back in 2012 and, again, crowds not bad at all. I just don't think amusement parks are a popular form of entertainment on holiday weekends-people prefer to do other things like family picnics.

Example: Thursday, July 4, 2013. Being a Thursday, many of us had work the next day, which you would think would keep people away. Add on top of that rain that was in the forecast that did come down in quantity, throughout the day.

Did that keep people away? Hardly! The masses didn't even leave when it was pouring. Everyone just stood around waiting for rides to reopen. As for me? I mostly walked around enjoying the atmosphere, exploring the beach all the way up past Sandcastle Suites, since I'd never had so much time alone with the place.

I left after close at midnight and couldn't even back out of my spot for at least an hour. Think I ended up in a nap from all the walking I did that day.

Rainy + midweek + 4th of July holiday, you would think that's a combo for a not-so-busy park? Oh boy was it packed.

• Like 4

I have never seen the park ever turn anyone away due to high attendance. I've seen Disney during the Christmas holiday season and not allow additional admission entrance due to capacity reasons.

I thought I had heard of them turning people away at haunt before. I have no idea if it is true, but if you run out of parking spots and areas in the grass to park people???

• Like 1

I have never seen the park ever turn anyone away due to high attendance. I've seen Disney during the Christmas holiday season and not allow additional admission entrance due to capacity reasons.

I thought I had heard of them turning people away at haunt before. I have no idea if it is true, but if you run out of parking spots and areas in the grass to park people???

I heard about Kings Island having to turn people away because they had to many people as well. I feel like it was a haunt too. Did that happen on Opening Day last year (I wouldn't think so)?

• Like 1

If memory serves me correctly. The first bring a friend free day had people parking at the movie theater across the street and then some. A gold star to anyone that still has the photos of the parking lot shot from the helicopter.

• Like 1

They will have staff park in the grass on certain Saturdays during Haunt.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I used to work as an employee at Kings Island.  I can remember on a bring a friend free day they closed the front gate around 4 or 5 pm.  And where i worked we were allowed to recieve attendance numbers for our figures. And if i recall ot hit 65000 people.  Was the worst 12 hour shift of my life.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, cowboysrul0624 said:

I used to work as an employee at Kings Island.  I can remember on a bring a friend free day they closed the front gate around 4 or 5 pm.  And where i worked we were allowed to recieve attendance numbers for our figures. And if i recall ot hit 65000 people.  Was the worst 12 hour shift of my life.  

We would love to hear some more stories of your KI days. Welcone to KIC!