Upgrades and Changes 2015

kjkjkj

So, I couldn't make it to the park for Opening Day or Preview Night. So I just wanted to start a topic where everyone could post about changes they have seen around the park, whether big or small. I would really like to see pictures as well! Hope everyone had a great time this weekend. I'm really curious about Tower Gardens, I have heard the waterfall is gone. How does that area look? Also, did the 80s store make a comeback anywhere in the park?

• Like 3

I posted a lot of pictures in the Kings Island 2015 Discussion Thread Friday evening.

Hank's Burrito Shack now features pulled chicken. It's pretty good; I think I prefer it over the grilled chicken served there from 2012-2014.

Ugh. Well, that knocks one food stand off my list. I can't stand pulled chicken.

• Like 2

^^ You have a dining plan, so I suggest trying it before knocking it.

I suspect that this will be a more consistent product. The grilled chicken was sometimes burnt and/or overcooked. The cooking method for pulled chicken would be easier to get right.

On another note, the finely shredded mild cheddar at Hank's has been replaced with a coarsely shredded Colby Jack.

• Like 8

The only Beir Garten bar food choices this year are basically "backdoor Hank's" nachos or tacos. Alternatively you could have turkey legs from the grill which is not in that area.

The park maps are no longer folder. The shows and dining plans have a separate flyer.

• Like 6

The Coney Mall entrance sign and pillars are gone. Tower Gardens is still there, but reduced in size. The Beast only has the vocal warnings on the first lift hill, and now that is repeated, proceeded by "Welcome to The Beast!" The small waterfall near the entrance to the KIMVR was not on. The KIMVR speakers are not working properly for the music, but are for the Emcee. This was my first preview event and opening day, but I thought it was cool that they opened the park Saturday morning at the front gate with the National Anthem, had a rope blocking Rivertown past the Diamondback and made it an event to actually open the park for the morning. Friday night's fireworks show was preceded by an announcement that it was a guests' birthday, and she was allowed to count down to the fireworks. Lastly, there are two new rides in Planet Snoopy, some renovations on I-Street, and food service is slow. :)

• Like 2

If I recall correctly for the few times I have made it up for ERT they do the National Anthem daily with the rope drop as well.

It seemed like the light show on the Eiffel Tower was much better this year during the fireworks as well, but maybe it's just because it's been 6 months since I saw it last.

• Like 5

The Coney Mall entrance sign and pillars are gone.

I noticed that on preview night and have been thoroughly disappointed about it ever since.

It was one of the more sad moments of the evening seeing that one more element of Coney Mall is gone......

.....Hopefully we'll see it return this season.......And SOON!

• Like 6

If I remember correctly, last season the train didn't even regularly operate until summer. Can anyone back me up on that?

The train, in recent memory anyway, has always operated until closing time and was operational all season. Last year, they were working on it and it took several weeks before it operated (perhaps because the season started "earlier" than normal). They typically only run one train in the beginning of the season.

• Like 2

Beast Retracted oh yeah and the 2 minute lift hill is sped up, of course the Coke freestyle, and marketplace were nice additions, i love that the eyesore dinosaur at the front has been removed, i didn't go passed the new rides sadly

• Like 1

I agree with the coney mall sign. It seems like - with all of the design of the new additions to the park - that they are moving away from themed areas all together and going for a generic - outdoor shopping mall modern look throughout. The new tv monitor directories - while "nice" look like something id find at my nearest "shopping village" advertising the sale at HOT TOPIC. I guess if you're going to play generic pop music everywhere theme be darned then why bother with signs saying your in a different area when it certainly doesn't look or "feel" different. I feel like Paramount totally muddled the themes - then CF just figured why bother. The new "shade tarps" are the same everywhere in the park - just different colors. The landscaping is essentially the same. the music the same, the annoying TVs playing the same loops, the directories the same, the uniforms the same etc etc. I think the themed area ship has LONNNNNNG sailed. Its amazing to me that Knotts and the other Cedar Fair parks are even run by the same company when looking at the changes to Knotts in recent years to restore theming and "immersive experiences" (Calico Mine Train, Timber River) and other CF parks are going for this generic "airport-office complex look" see the new entry complex for Carrowinds - YIKES Mall Modern! Its sad because I truly appreciate well themed areas and the variety of experiences that these give to a park, but I see more and more that I am not the KI demographic. AMUSEMENT PARK not THEME PARK anymore.

• Like 7