Wooden Coaster or Giga?!

DontWantToWait42mar0

Adventure Express is a steel or hybrid coaster, but not a wooden coaster.  Its structure is wood (with steel reinforcements) but its track is steel, and that is what is typically counted.

You can have steel track with wooden supports and still be considered a woodie somehow.. IE: Toppler track

BB1 is also known as Detective Sergeant Joe Friday. "Just the facts ma'am.", ( I had to look that up. I'm not nearly that old).

Actually, I don't believe you have to be that old BC MeTV plays that show I believe. (That or Esquire)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It all depends, If it's an Intamin giga that's where my vote goes before anything else. If they were to work with GCI I would pick that over a B&M giga. 

Where is the option for hybrid? I would choose RMC over a B&M giga as well.

Face/Off is gone, Terp! (As is the Flip Side) ~ Both now sport some sort of blue hue colors.

Lol and Chang/ Green Lantern was never at Kings Island; closest it ever got was 2 hours... 

-Suspecting that you're not a fan of green, hmm.. and I welcome the return to a yellow coaster.

Are you living in the past? ...and/or not at the home park of most of this site's users?

• Like 1

I broke the tie. No way in the world should KI put in another wooden coaster this soon. There are too many people that genuinely believe that riders died on Son of Beast, and it's fact that dozens, plural, were sent to the hospital. And the general public's propensity for misidentifying rides and perpetuating false rumors is huge. People still think that there were deaths on the original Bat (despite the lack of the internet back then to spread rumors with), and I can only wonder how many have now attributed those deaths to the former Flight Deck. Build a major wooden coaster, people are going to think it's Son of Beast and think that people died on it, and that rumor will spread like wildfire on the internet, and that's not a good thing.

For another example of this, see Kentucky Kingdom and drop rides.

• Like 5

I completely disagree for a multitude of reasons.  First, with Son of Beast's notoriety, people knew what it looked like, where it was located and what's sitting there now.  Unless a new wooden coaster uses SOB's old station and is of similar size, I don't see any confusion occurring.  There's a nice big tombstone for SOB in Banshee's queue for good measure.  Secondly, the park has the coaster that restarted America's love of coasters along with one of the most praised wooden coasters in the world.  I think they would be okay getting another with the reputation they have with those.  Thirdly, there are enough new things you can do with a wooden coaster which would easily distinguish it from Son of Beast- articulated trains, 90 degree banked curves, station fly-through's, etc. 

• Like 3

...and all of that is rendered irrelevant by the fact that I have heard people misidentify the Rivertown woodie as Son of Beast.

It doesn't matter what you do if distinguish a new woodie, be it unique elements, building in a totally different section of the park, whatever; too many people in the general public will firmly believe that it is simply a modified and/or relocated version of Son of Beast. And I'll bet some of these people likely never even rode SOB (or weren't even around while it existed) and haven't a clue as to what elements SOB had, and will believe that whatever elements the new woodie has must be the same elements that SOB had, and therefore this must be SOB.

• Like 2

So the empty station in Action Zone and the big Son of Beast tombstone won't tip people off?

If people have heard of it, then they would have looked it up on the internet (look how many people carry Smart Phones) and found the slew of articles and the video KI posted of the ride being demolished, possibly even the Banshee announcement video where its seen being destroyed.  I would argue that the Internet would make people more aware that Son of Beast is no more and would know a new wood coaster (which would likely have no mention of the word Beast in its name) is not Son of Beast.  

EDIT: And if they go with GCI (the most likely candidate), they can bring up that company's reputation.  They have a number or awards for all their coasters. 

EDIT 2- The first few listings under a Google search come up with links to SOB closing/demolition stories.

There are people out there that you could beat with a hundred clue sticks, and they would STILL confuse the two coasters. These are the type of people that hear one rumor, latch on to it, and flat-out refuse to believe anything else regardless of how much evidence to the contrary they are presented with or have shoved into their faces. Sadly, there are too many of these people.

It's the same reason the anti-vaccination movement is so strong (ugh); people choose to believe one unsubstantiated rumor over reams of hard evidence disproving said rumor. This is why I fear for the future of the United States.

• Like 5

I don't think there are as many people like that as you are leading me to believe, at least not at the rate where KI will never get a wooden coaster again.  I consider that a very small percentage of KI's guests.   

Also, what of the people (which, there are quite a few) who miss SOB?  I think the GP would be more open to the idea than what you're claiming.  Every park has rumors like that to contend with. 

I'm not saying that there are tons of these people, just that there are enough to cause massive headaches that KI would be better off not dealing with. A relatively small number of people can ruin things for the masses.

And I never said that KI will never get a wooden coaster ever again. I just think they need to wait another 15 to 20, maybe 30, years to hopefully let the rumors die off before building another woodie.

• Like 1

Also note the title of this thread. I firmly believe KI will get a wood coaster before a giga.   Canada's Wonderland built one and their within that former radius of parks that couldn't get a B&M, but they also have a country boarder there (I would guess less people visit both CW and CP in the same seasons than CP and KI).  With CP being so close, I say KI will be lucky to see a giga at all.  

• Like 2