Wooden Coaster or Giga?!

DontWantToWait42mar0

• 1 month later...

I would rather have a wooden coaster than a giga because I'm too afraid to ride a giga. Heck, I'm probably not gonna ride Diamondback for a few more years! Meanwhile, I try to ride The Beast at least twice every time I visit Kings Island. As long as this new woodie isn't related to The Beast, I'm all for it. I mean, I don't think any of us want to ride That Weird Cousin That Would Always Make You Pull His Finger of Beast.  ;)

• Like 1

I just think you're going to need more than "a wooden coaster" to get the attention of the masses.

I mean, they did that before and it worked for a few years but...heh.

But I also think there's a snowballs chance in hell Cedar Fair would have made that same decision so I'm probably over cynical.

WindingSon,

Might I suggest you're not seeing the big picture? A new wooden coaster might not get all the buzz that Banshee or Diamondback received, but does that really matter? The initial hype dies down before the end of a ride's first season. A wooden coaster done right would improve the guest experience in a new way. There are things that many people like about real wooden coasters that you do not get with steel, plain and simple. If the ride is good enough to make someone come back the positive word of mouth will bring in the money, (which given wood coasters lower build cost would have to be significantly less to make a respectable ROI.)

WindingSon,

Might I suggest you're not seeing the big picture? A new wooden coaster might not get all the buzz that Banshee or Diamondback received, but does that really matter? The initial hype dies down before the end of a ride's first season. A wooden coaster done right would improve the guest experience in a new way. There are things that many people like about real wooden coasters that you do not get with steel, plain and simple. If the ride is good enough to make someone come back the positive word of mouth will bring in the money, (which given wood coasters lower build cost would have to be significantly less to make a respectable ROI.)

I get what you're saying. I love wood coasters and feel KI could probably use another. I just think they have lower ROI and I'm not convinced that's where CF wants to go.

In regards to GP thinking it's SOB. If they still think it's SOB, they're probably going to think Beast had piano wires in the tunnels and some of the other drastic park rumors. Nothing you say or do will change that either, because they know they're right *rolls eyes*. These are the same people that think Cedar Point is on an ocean, or that Magnum is a woodie, or even Gemini. 

Regardless a new wooden coaster can be built here soon, and I would be quite happy. If it causes a GP dilemma or bad rumors, etc, no big deal. There is a very large PR department starting at the park level all the way to corporate that will make sure to market the ride positively and quell any PR dilemmas anyone from the GP would bring. See the parks Facebook, they deal with it everyday and see way worse comments than someone thinking SOB still exists.

The GP will always continue to be the GP, and I really don't care if they think SOB still exists. Hell, let them think it, menans a shorter line for me. 

• Like 1

I voted a while back on this topic (Giga) and I will definitely keep that same vote after riding Fury 325. That ride is unbelievable. If they are able to bring in B&M and create something similar if not better than Fury 325 then I will be all for it. The speed, pacing, airtime, and elements on that ride are just outstanding. Although a wooden coaster back near White Water Canyon without land clearing would be pretty awesome I would still go with a giga coaster.

• Like 4

I voted for a giga coaster because Kings Island already has a awesome wooden coaster in The Beast, and considering that the other Cedar Fair parks with B&M hypers have received gigas in the past few years, it seems likely that Kings Island will go the same route. I don't see them getting a new coaster until at least 2019 though.

I don't understand your reasoning. Couldn't you say "I voted for wooden coaster because Kings Island already has an awesome steel coaster in Diamondback, Banshee, Flight of Fear, etc.. Wooden coasters are not homogenous experiences just because they don't come in inverted, or floorless or wing varieties. :)

• Like 5

I need a kewpie Hamburger right now, only 15 mins away 

Hmm...  Thanks to Wikipedia, I just now discovered that Kewpee spawned Halo Burger, a Flint, MI-based chain that's expanded into the Metro Detroit area in the past few years.  That's something I've been meaning to try; I wonder how similar the fare is.  Maybe I'll finally try it today as I haven't been to one in about a decade.

Edit: I've also discovered that a lot of the Metro Detroit stores closed within the first couple years.  This sounds like yet another case of biting off more of the burger than you can chew.  At least there are still a couple left to try.

• Like 1

After recently riding Voyage, The Legend, and Raven at Holiday World, I would definitely vote for a wooden coaster. The wooden coasters at Holiday World, are pretty much like no coasters I've ridden before, I could ride those three coasters all day long! They just seem so intense and forceful! As for Holiday World's newest coaster, Thunderbird, once was enough. Anymore I just find most B&Ms to be so smooth that they are just forceless and boring. I really hope that if the next coaster that Kings Island builds is steel, they use a different manufacturer than B&M. Preferably Intamin!

• Like 4