Wooden Coaster or Giga?!

DontWantToWait42mar0

After recently riding Voyage, The Legend, and Raven at Holiday World, I would definitely vote for a wooden coaster. The wooden coasters at Holiday World, are pretty much like no coasters I've ridden before, I could ride those three coasters all day long! They just seem so intense and forceful! As for Holiday World's newest coaster, Thunderbird, once was enough. Anymore I just find most B&Ms to be so smooth that they are just forceless and boring. I really hope that if the next coaster that Kings Island builds is steel, they use a different manufacturer than B&M. Preferably Intamin!

Cedar Fair won't be buying coasters from INTAMIN any time soon.

You need to ride Ravine Flyer II, Rampage, Tremors....but also The New Texas Giant, Goliath at Six Flags Great America, etc. That last group has fine steel coasters!

• Like 6

I doubt we will be seeing much in the way of Wood Coasters these days. Aside from the RMC creations that is.

Not saying they are dead, just that folks appear to want tall, tall, tall, fast, fast, fast, these days. B&M provides that with unmatched reliability.

That said, I would like to see an RMC at Kings Island.

• Like 1

At Six Flags, look at Georgia Cyclone. Melinda Ashcraft, the now-retired GM, had a three year plan to completely retrack it with Topper track.

Year one got done. A part of year two. Then the plan (and Melinda) retired.

Watch Georgia Cyclone.

By its future, much can be learned.

RMC at Kings Island? Be careful what you wish for. Lots of conversions and even tear downs out there.

It's NOT just Six Flags.

Take one of your major parks, take your (somewhat) premier wood coaster...watch for Fury. If, any.

Yep, watch there, too.

Then there's Kentucky. However long that may last.

Interesting times.

Very interesting times.

Terp, philosophical on a Sunday...a day to ponder...decisions--cross threadin'.

• Like 6

Unfortunately, while we are ROARing about the new RMC hybrids taking life from wooden coasters we have yet to try, these conversions have already been set in motion. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And more related to the question at hand, I originally voted for giga, but I changed my answer after riding the awesomeness that is Lightning Racer :wub: . I want a twisty wooden coaster (with Lightning Racer's smoothness) and I want it NOW, Daddy!

-MDMC, channeling Verruca Salt.

• Like 6

Not saying they are dead, just that folks appear to want tall, tall, tall, fast, fast, fast, these days.

This sentence could have just as easily been written in '99 or '00.  ;) (Son of Beast, Millenium Force, Steel Dragon 2000, Goliath)

I agree; I don't think wooden coasters are going away anytime soon. The amusement industry gets on kicks and trends. This is justifiable in the sense that no one wants to flop on a multi-million dollar investment, (Pilgrims Plunge, Tomb Raider: The Ride, Timber Tower). Some think it's best to cash in on a proven, popular attraction. Once something becomes stale, new concepts emerge or older concepts re-emerge, (sometimes with new twists), and old becomes new again.

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

I myself would love a giga at my home park. I venture up the point usually a couple times a year but have yet to enjoy a night ride on Millennium Force due to hoards of bugs that swarm the lake. I would just love to be able to ride a giga at night bug free without having to make a 6 hour trip to do so. I ride exclusively in the front btw, hence the bug windshield issue. Considering it seems Cedar Fair are putting up a giga in each of their parks I don't see this as too much of a stretch... especially considering how much space we have at the Island.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I don't see a wooden coaster coaster coming to Kings Island until after the giga coaster is built. Giga coasters are some of the most popular rides at any amusement parks. One of the most notable ones is Fury 325 at Carrowinds. Kings Island could use a giga coaster behind Banshee and have the station in the X-Base with Flight of Fear and Firehawk. While I don't think that the giga coaster will come in 2016 i can defiantly see a new giga coaster or any coaster between 2018 to 2019. I find that we will see no record breaking giga coaster especially after the introduction of Fury 325. I do believe that we will see a triotech dark ride come before that. Also some classic rides from 
Europe after Cedar Fair sent two pickers over there. Also I think that we will also see another skyhawk ride like the one from Canada's wonderland.

Thank You,

Beasttamer.

• Like 1

Also note the title of this thread. I firmly believe KI will get a wood coaster before a giga. Canada's Wonderland built one and their within that former radius of parks that couldn't get a B&M, but they also have a country boarder there (I would guess less people visit both CW and CP in the same seasons than CP and KI). With CP being so close, I say KI will be lucky to see a giga at all.

I could be wrong here but I thing Levy was suppose to go to one of the parks out west and something happen with the state of California so keep them from getting it. Being so close to CP I can't see KI getting a giga as grand as MF. If so they had 2 chances with DB and Banshee to go that route and they chose not to. CF paid 30,000,000 for fury. I rather see them use the money in other places. Could build 2 or more woodies for that kind of money and have some left over to clean up some of the rough spots in the park. Personally I think the next coaster will be a Vortex replacement but that's just me guessing

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Don't you jinx my Vortex.. not.. yet..

I'd still rather GOOD FUN and/ or thrilling flats be added in the usually vacant cement slab across from Shake Rattle and Roll (which by the way is already acting weird after an off season of renovations), and also a couple out and around the brakes for Diamondback and around the back end of Backlot Stunt Track.

But... if we were getting a woodie or a giga.. I would expect Cedar Fair to input a giga before a woodie..

I'd rather have a woodie though; a fun modern one, finally.

• Like 4

I don't think Kings Island will add a wooden coaster anytime soon. Why? You might wonder. Well think about the last wooden coaster Kings Island built. Son of Beast right. After that disaster I don't see Kings Island Going that way.

Personally I think that a giga coaster would be fun and awesome, but what coaster wouldn't right. If it were up to me I would put a stratacoaster up before either one. Although I don't see that happening.

Thank you for welcoming me to this site I find it very fun to discuss with other Kings Island enthusiasts.

Thank You,

Beasttamer 

• Like 6

I don't think Kings Island will add a wooden coaster anytime soon. Why? You might wonder. Well think about the last wooden coaster Kings Island built. Son of Beast right. After that disaster I don't see Kings Island Going that way.

Personally I think that a giga coaster would be fun and awesome, but what coaster wouldn't right. If it were up to me I would put a stratacoaster up before either one. Although I don't see that happening.

Thank you for welcoming me to this site I find it very fun to discuss with other Kings Island enthusiasts.

Thank You,

Beasttamer 

Woodie construction and design has come a long way since SOB, plus it makes a big difference when you stick with a reputable manufacturer for a ride of such a magnitude!

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...