The 9 best coasters near Detroit

Follow-up: I did take a moment to look into what an enhanced driver license involves and it seems to be relatively harmless.  They say it's just storing basically a unique ID or token on the RFID chip that's meaningless without access to the government's database.  The only questionable part that I can find is that it involves data sharing between various state and federal governmental agencies.

Still interested in getting a passport (for other reasons) but maybe I'll just get an enhanced license and check Canada's Wonderland out.  :)

• Like 1

The only parks I've seen advertised in the DTW area are Cedar Point and Michigan's Adventure. Banshee might've made the local news but I don't recall.

Chicago is a popular day trip from here but generally not for thrill rides.

Passports are indeed rather easy to obtain, so long as one isn't faced by budget constraints. I'm trying to limit expenditures until more money starts rolling in.

• Like 1

The major thing stopping me from going to Canada's Wonderland (other than budget) is Customs. I don't know what it would take to get my daily prescription medication across the border in both directions. I know I researched it once, but I can't recall what I found out.

• Like 2

Unless there are no enthusiasts in the Detroit area, I'm pretty sure some have likely partaken in such a trip to Gurnee.  

Indeed.  I'm personally interested in making a trip out there, now that I've been gifted a SIX pass.  That said, I did say that we generally do not head to Chicago for that reason.  Most people in Metro Detroit, on most of their thrill ride-seeking trips, do not go to Illinois.  If we did, the park might see fit to advertise to keep us going back.

Thanks for the link. I did some digging from there, and it seems that I just need the original labeled containers provided by the pharmacy, with a copy of the prescription for backup. I always carry my medication in the original containers when I travel, so I would just need to make a copy of the prescription to bring with me as well.

• Like 2

Exactly, their target markets provide sufficient attendance that they do not need to pull in guests from five hours away who have other parks within half that distance.  One of those is the flagship of Six Flags' direct competitor no less.

They occupy the same industry under similar business models..  They've been known to partake in competitive acts before.  See also: opening Kingda Ka a mere two years after Top Thrill Dragster, for one.

While most of their parks are not directly in the same market, they are competitive businesses overall.

Your post though is exactly what I was saying regarding the Metro Detroit market.  SFGAm and CP are not direct competitors.  Some might choose to visit Gurnee but most of the time, they'll be down at Sandusky, or in Orlando or LA.