Easter Sunday 2004

bwware

First of all, sorry in advance that this is so darn long! These trip reports get kind of addicting!

You know when your a little kid, and your parents would take you to Kings Island and you would dream about having the WHOLE park to yourself? Being able to hop on ANY ride you want ANY time you wanted? And not have to wait in ANY lines? Well, today my dream came true!

I got to the park about 11:30 and I could tell that I was going to have a great day just by looking at the parking lot! Very few cars mean very few lines!

I walk up to the front gate and there is a guy talking on a mic sitting at the tram station. "Welcome everyone to Paramount's Kings Island! We have a special Easter treat just waiting for you inside! It is in the form of very few lines inside the park" so I turn around to him and give him a thumbs up and head into the park with camera once again in hand!

With such a light crowd today, I head straight for Action Zone. I give Delirum 5 rides in a row and then head on over to SOB. Now this is one of the very few times today that I had to stand in a line, but that was only because I wanted the front seat! Running only one train, I had to wait 6 rotations before I got my turn. No biggie. I spent most of the time in there taking pictures and watching the 2 ride ops outside of the control room throw plastic easter eggs across the SOB tracks. While I doubt a plastic easter egg would cause any great harm, I just kept wondering how a "higher up" might feel about these 2 throwing stuff back and forth across the track! I knew it was only a matter of time before an egg landed on the tracks as seen here! When I got up to the front of the line, I thought I would use this time to ask the ride op what happend to SOB on Friday. I knew I wouldnt get an answer out of her before I even asked, but felt it wouldnt hurt to try! Here is how the conversation went:

Me: Did you work on Friday?

Female Ride Op: Yes

Me: Did this thing really Valley on Friday or is there more to it?

Ride op: Ummm....bahh...bah.....ummmmm

Me: You cant tell me can you.

Ride op: No, I better not.

Me: Oh I totally understand, just thought I would try

She smiles and walks over to her little station, but then she walks right back over to me....

Ride Op: What made you ask such a question?

Me: Oh I seen pictures of it on the web just sitting on the bottom of the loop.

Ride Op: I see

Me: Was it really just sitting on the bottom of the loop?

Ride Op: Yes it was. Really

Me: Can you tell me how they got it out of there so fast?

Ride Op: Well they were lucky. It stopped at a section of track that was easy to take apart. They take the track apart and take the train off of it and put the track back together. Very long process.

Me: I was just wondering. It seems you guys got it back up and running pretty quickly.

Ride Op: Well, I will tell you this much. The internet is not totally right. It did a little more than just Valley.

Me: Like what? (thinking a wheel flew off of it)

Ride Op: I'm sorry

Me: Oh, I TOTALLY understand! Thanks for telling me everything you did!

By that time, my ride was there, she smiles at me, checked my seat and I was off! I must say, maybe it was just the front seat, but the ride is MUCH smoother than I ever remember it! Still a little bumpy! But a LOT better than before!

When the ride ended, I told her thanks again and I was off...

A hop on Top Gun and then Drop/Zone was calling my name and I got 3 rides in on that! I am trying to get asjusted to that ride, but it STILL gets me EVERYTIME we get to the top of that thing! Just very spooky!!

Face/Off was next in the back/front car. First time riding in that seat! Sweet ride as always!

I did Delirum 5 more time. A ride op is starting to notice how many times I am riding it. One time I get in my seat and he goes "you again?" and I told him "yep! I just cant get enough of this ride!" I will see him again later during my visit to the park today.

With Action Zone behind me, I hope on an almost EMPTY AE train for a quick ride. They seemed to have the sound FX turned up today as I could hear them even as I was on Drop Zone! You know the bird calls and such?

Anyway, was now heading for the recaR but was told it was down right now. I asked it it was running at all that day and she told me it was. I asked if it would be running again later and she said she was sure it would be. I rode The Racer anyway just to see if I could see any activity on the "mystery" side of The Racer/FoF. I dont see anything really.....

I hop on the Monster to see what all the hype is all about. Feels like the same old monster to me.

A ride on FoF and then it was off to visit the Birthday boy.....

The Vortex was running 2 trains today. Thats really all they needed! Heck, they could have done with just one train! Station was empty! Was running a little smoother today than usual so I gave it a second spin just for the heck of it!

I did a little spongebob afterward. I didnt listen to Mr. Krabs by walking all the way to the end of my row as I was pretty much the ONLY one in my row! I sat in the very middle, back row to take it all in. You know, as a whole, the cartoon IS pretty funny.

Headed over to The Beast and little did I know that one of my greatest Kings Island dreams was about to come true!

The volume on the The Beast video seemed a little louder today. I stood there for about 5 mins and watched the 4000 trip guy section. I thought the whole countdown to his 2000 ride was a little corny! Now as for The Beast iself. The ride was a total walk on! Any seat! The Beast was ALL mine! Took a trip and as I was getting off, a ride op walked up and said I could stay on if I wanted. WHAT WAS THIS? I could stay ON The Beast!! And not have to get off!?!?!? MY DREAMS COME TRUE!!! I rode that sucker 5 times in a row and never once had to get back in line! I just made myself at home in my very own seat! People would come, people would go, but I wasnt going anywhere....at least not yet.

As for the ride itself, they seem to have the sound FX turned up even more now and now they have a guy welcoming you to The Beast as your going up the first hill. I might be wrong, but I think I also heard a growl on the first hill as well. Something else I noticed as well was that it was running VERY slow today. Slower than I had EVER seen it! I mean EVER!! I dont know if there were testing the new sections of breaks on the tracks or what, but it was sloooow.

Moving on, I took ride on TR:TR for whatever reason. Something just draws me to that ride for some reason. Not sure what, but I feel like I HAVE to ALWAYS ride it after The Beast! I dont know.....

I got my Potato Work fries (as always) and head over to the Paramount Theater to catch the new show. After I find out that I am an hour early for the show, I decide that I want to make my rides on Delirum an even 20 for the day. I head over and ride that thing 10 times in a row! The ride op from earler was still there and he was counting along with me. As I got off, he would tell me what number I was at. Pretty cool dude! That will no doubt be the MOST times I ever ride that ride in a single visit again! The ride just flat out RULES!

I head on over to the theater where they were already letting people inside. I walk in to a pretty darn near empty theater. Choose my seat, 5th row center and watch the show.

The show was ok. Nothing to write home about. A couple of good jokes. I know it is still early and all, so who knows what it will be like come the middle of summer when they have all the kinks worked out!

After the show, I snapped some pics of the new theater. Just be warned! THESE PICTURES CONTAIN A FEW SCENES FROM THE SHOW! IF YOU DO NOT WANT ANY PART OF THE SHOW SPOILED FOR YOU, THEN PLEASE DO NOT CLICK ON THIS PICTURE LINK! I simply wanted to share my day with the rest of you. I do not in ANY way want to spoil any of the fun for any of you. Again, if you do not want any of the show spoiled for you, please do not click on the link!

I give the whole day an A+! 20 rides on Delirium was worth the trip itself plus 5 rides in a row The Beast was just icing on the cake!!

I set up my pictures a little different today.

Click HERE if you want NON PARAMOUNT THEATER pictures! You can click that link knowing you will see NO PICTURES of the theater at all.

Click HERE if you DO want to see pictures of the inside of the theater as well as scenes from the show itself. This is you last spoiler warning! Some pics are a little blurry since you were not allowed to use the flash during the show itself.

Thanks for reading!!

Yeah, I went on Easter to, for almost two hours. I got there at 2, and was greeted by not one full row in the parking lot. I too walked onto Face Off, Drop Zone and Delirium. Actually, in the two hours I was there, I managed to grab rides on Face Off, Drop Zone, Delirium, Adventure Express, The Racer, Flight of Fear, Vortex, Flying Eagles, 2 rides on The Beast, and a walk on to Scooby Doo to end the day. Sadly, I had to leave about quarter till four. I would really have enjoyed staying till 8, but I had to get to easter diner. It was an excellent day to be at the park. I just wish I could have gotten up there earlier and stayed longer because the only thing that limited how many rides you got was how fast you could walk to other rides.

I do believe that the taking of pictures during the Paramount Magic of the Movies show is forbidden as it includes images from unreleased movies. IMO, that show was pathetic and is the worst show they`ve had in the theater in the last four years. Both magic shows and Graveyard Shift were better.

Like I said before I canned my Plans to go to PKI on Easter because the Weather Reports said it was suppose to Storm and be Rainy all day but when I got out of Church it was Sunny and Pretty warm too lets just say I was kinda PO'ed!

Weather Forcasters dont know crap!

just to let you know...you should not be taking pics while on the ride...that is a saftey hazard...and you should not post things on a website that you do not know about

HUH? I did not take any pictures on any rides! What one did you see that makes you think I did?

And as for posting things I dont know about? Huh? I'm confused! Anyone else have any ideas?

I worked a closing shift on easter sunday. (Lucky me, I'm Jewish!) It was fun and cold! But I am glad to hear that the guests had a lot of fun! I saw a ton of rides on slingshot, maybe because of the buy one, get the other passenger free deal with the free video. I don't know, the main thing is that the guests had a lot of fun, and that is what counts.

HUH? I did not take any pictures on any rides! What one did you see that makes you think I did?

And as for posting things I dont know about? Huh? I'm confused! Anyone else have any ideas?

Don't worry about it, man. She's from HB. Nobody can tell the difference between the entertainment shows and the rides over there. tongue.gif

But for future reference, if I EVER see you with a camera on SOB, I will kill you. mad.gifph34r.giftongue.gif

Something else I noticed as well was that it was running VERY slow today. Slower than I had EVER seen it! I mean EVER!! I dont know if there were testing the new sections of breaks on the tracks or what, but it was sloooow.

That would be the price of having walk-ons. With less mass on the train, the force the magnetic brakes exert on the train slow it much easier. Full trains go much much faster than near-empty ones.

This is kind of off topic but bwware were do you see the pictures of sob valleying. you said you saw them in your trip report. In another trip report( not on this site) they said you could see SOB valleying from AE. If you could telll me were that would be greatly appreciated. Great TR

I don`t remember where but I know I saw a picture that was reportedly from when it rolled back. However, since the picture is a still image, it is hard to decipher whether or not the train was actually rolling backwards. In short, it would be hard to tell if the train in the picture was taken during normal operation or if it indeed was taken during a roll back.

It didn't roll back.

And even if it did:

1) Anyone who talked about it on this forum would likely have their post removed.

2) Any employee who talked about it would be fired - then possibly shot between the eyes.

I know I'm sarcastic a lot on these boards, but this is not a joke. Anyone who has any reliable knoweledge on any type of mechanical incident or closure (except for weather or something) can't talk about. It's part of the agreement to work there.