Dollywood Suggestions/Tips

As I've mentioned elsewhere here, having 125 hours of paid vacation time at my disposal, I'm looking at a possible Dollywood trip this summer.

Right now I'm planning on a 4-day trip (Monday through Thursday) in mid-July - drive down there one day (and spend time exploring the area some), spend two days at Dollywood and drive back the last day. I can get such a package (3 nights in a hotel and 2-day park admission) for around $300 through Dollywood's website, which isn't bad at all (even better than AAA as all I can find through them is a discount on one-day admission to either Dollywood or Splash Country).

Is Dollywood typically less crowded during the week like most parks, or is it hit and miss due to that area being a huge tourist destination?

What else is a "must do" or "must see" down there (besides the alpine coaster, which is already on my list)?

• Like 5

On Dollywood- it usually follows the same kind of crowds as a usual amusement park does. Mid-July should be no exception, so weekdays should be better, though I'd try to go before Friday.  Along with the rides, try to check out at least one show.  The entertainment department is top notch there.  

You're by one of the biggest things to do there in the GSM National Park.  Just pick any of the walking trails or driving tours and enjoy the scenery.  I like spending a day just walking through Gatlinburg, even if you don't do anything specific, its just a nice little place.  Putt-putt courses are big there, though personally, I think the better ones are in Gatlinburg over Pigeon Forge.  There are a few places like a movie car museum, Ripley's Believe It or Not, a chairlift which takes you up a mountain, and a few other things of that nature.  Sure, there are tourist traps, but some can perk your interests.  There's also a Titanic museum in Pigeon Forge.  I won't go through everything as I'd be going on forever.  

• Like 6

My trip to Dollywood was during the week in June. The park was packed. Took most of the day just to get on the Coasters and the Swing Ride. The park closed pretty early that day as well.

If you are lucky, it will rain one day you are there. It did the day before our group was to visit the park. So I went to the park while the group played at the Hotel and bought a 2day ticket. The park was dead and I was able to ride everything over and over in just three hours :) During our visit the next day everyone wished they had just came with me.

• Like 3

Right now I'm planning the trip for the 3rd week of July (after the All Star Game and Reds/Indians series, so things shouldn't be quite as crazy at work that week as they will be the two weeks prior to that). I'm planning to leave on a Monday, spend Tuesday and Wednesday in the park and drive back on Thursday sometime. That should give me enough time to check out various tourist attractions and still get in a lot of rides and at least one show in the park.

Also, is Dolly's Dixie Stampede Dinner Experience worth checking out? I know it's designed more for families but it sounds interesting.

• Like 3

Looking at YouTube videos of it, it certainly looks like a blast. They've got 3 shows each of the days I plan to be there, so it might be a good thing to do for dinner the night I get down there, especially as it's only half a mile from the hotel I'll probably be staying at (Roadway Inn in Pigeon Forge).

• Like 2

Was there for a few days back in July of 2013. Never felt I needed a q-bot. Seemed the longest wait was always for Tennessee Tornado. Don't miss the quirky stuff like Blazing Fury and Mountain Slidewinder. Had some real good wood fired pizza at a place near the Thunderhead and Mystery Mine. Dolly's museum is interesting. We did Dixie Stampede as well because my ex girlfriend wanted to.

• Like 2

Lots of excellent posts and tips already.

I would echo the praise of the Qbots.  If the park is crowded go get one, highly worth the additional cost.  Besides all the great rides the Craftsmen Valley is well worth the time it takes to visit every shop and talk to the artisans.  Also do not, I repeat do not miss the warm cinnamon bread at the Old Mill.  One of the best things to eat at any amusement/theme parks around.

If you are looking for a great steak while in the area hit up Calhoun's and get the Ale Steak.  The Park Grill is a fabulous choice in Gatlinburg as well.

• Like 1

First thing I always do when pulling into the area is a trip through the Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail.

Generally a day at Cades Cove and another driving to Cherokee. The rest of the time I can be found enjoying the pure curvy bliss in the Z on Tail of the Dragon. To much fun in them woods to have any time for roller coasters.

Lol....seriously though, I've been to that area probably 20+ different occasions and have never stepped foot in Dollywood. However I have promised myself that streak will end on my next trip.

P.S. - Check rates for The Park Vista Hotel (tall one in Gatlinburg) as they can be surprisingly affordable depending on the time of year and current bookings. Their trash collection area also doubles as a bear viewing area in the evenings  :)

• Like 4

One more question. Is Splash Country worth doing at all? Since Dollywood is only 4 1/2 hours away I could theoretically spend the last day at Splash Country and drive back that night, at the added expense of a 3-day park ticket compared to a 2-day ticket (the customer service rep at the booking agency who responded to my email said a 2-day ticket is good for admission to one park each day, but the 3-day ticket would give me admission to both parks each day).

• Like 3

Just wanted to add one suggestion.  If you're a cupcake fan you'll want to stop at Tara Jean's in Sevierville.  It's off the main parkway in Sevierville just north of Wilderness in the Smokies.  They have the best cupcakes that I've tasted anywhere in the US right now, and what's better is that they'll stay fresh for 3 or 4 days so they'll still taste good when you get home.  They also sell their own ice cream and other baked goods which I haven't tried but looked amazing.  There are various deals for them (Yelp, Groupon, etc.) that will make it even more affordable, and I'd strongly suggest that you make a stop there.

http://tarajeanstn.com/

• Like 2

If I have time I'll definitely check it out. It's a shame I'll only be spending 4 days down there. So much to see and do and not possibly enough time to enjoy everything, especially when you plan on spending half your trip at an amusement park.

• Like 1

The past few years we have arrived in Pigeon Forge Thanksgiving Evening.  Black Friday shopped at the outlets and then hit up the Christmas festivities at Dollywood.  Makes for a great long weekend and the Smokey Mountain Christmas is an amazing event.  From the lights, attractions and shows.  Truly unlike anything offered in the tri state.  Crowds are fairly light in November.

• Like 2

Having just visited Dollywood....where I expected crowds to be light, even had input from 2 employees that are friends saying that crowds would be low, it was still busy. Their "TimeSavers" aka Q2Q aka Q-Bots....are really cheap compared to other parks ($25 per person), easy to use and make riding the big attractions easier. The one thing I enjoy is that if a ride goes down it will tell you that it is down and it will also tell you it's up and ready for you to ride it. 

I wish we would have spent 2 days at the park...it's not a huge park, but a lot to do there. 

If you get to, ride the alpine coasters in the area, tons of fun!

• Like 3

There's more than one alpine coaster in the area? I knew about the Smokey Mountain Alpine Coaster. I didn't know there were others.

There is one in Gatlinburg, one opening at Öber (I think that's how it spelled) in Pigeon Forge in the summer. Goats on The Roof is a good one, just about 1/2 mile from Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

3 currently open and 1 under construction as far as alpine coasters. SMAC is the longest, but Gatlinburg's is the best IMO. It's not speed limited like SMAC. Goats on the Roof is just a little further down Wears Valley Rd from SMAC. You can pick up a discount ticket for it at Fun Stop or Fast Tracks (they're all the same owner). If you're a credit whore, there is a Dragon Wagon at Fun Stop. They will all have long lines during the main part of the day. Go early or late - they're all open after dark. If you are an active ACE member, your membership card will get you a discount at all 3. 

July will be busy at Dollywood. They are open until 10 pm during Great American Summer and the crowds won't be KI level but also remember that their crews are never in a hurry. Average wait times will probably be 30-60 minutes on the coasters. A full queue on Mystery Mine (with back queue open) is 1 hour 45 minutes on average. Full queue on Wild Eagle is just over an hour, same for Blazing Fury and TN Tornado. Full queue on Thunderhead is about 30 minutes. Country Fair (kids area) will be slammed. I highly recommend not skipping the shows. Dreamland Drive-In (assuming it's back this year) is fantastic. If you get a Q-bot remember that you can reserve both rides and shows with it. On the shows, you will get priority seating and guaranteed the show time you want. Whereas you may not get into the show if you just wait in line. You can reserve both rides and shows at the same time - they don't cancel each other out. I believe shows must be reserved at the Q2Q center but rides are reserved from the Qbot itself. 

There's no such thing as a bad place to eat at Dollywood. Try to avoid peak meal times as the lines will be insane. Aunt Granny's is a fantastic sit-down buffet. Other buffets include Backstage Restaurant and Miss Lillian's Chicken House. Miss Lillian provides endless amounts of entertainment - if you don't decide to eat there, at least go hang out in the dining room and watch for a little while. She also does the preshow for Country Crossroads at the stage next door to the restaurant. The Big Skillets are great, as is Hickory House, and if you want pizza, the giant slices at Lumberjack's by Mystery Mine are more than enough food for a meal or two.

As for a plan of attack - go to the coasters first. Mystery Mine and Firechaser develop the longest lines so get them first. The coasters are laid out in a nice semi-circle that makes it easy to get them all in a row. The lines do significantly die down at night - it's not like KI or other parks where the crowds stay up until close. The last hour should drop everything down to a walk-on or close to it.

Lockers are not necessary at any of the rides. They all provide bins in the station (or in the queue, on Mountain Slidewinder). Loose articles, including hats, are not permitted on most rides. You cannot sit on your hat or stuff it down a shirt, it must stay in the station. Please don't fight the ride ops on this. Enough people do as it is.

For tickets: If you buy a ticket after 3 pm, the next day is free. Downside is the parks do get a little busier after 3 each day because of this and you do have to pay parking twice. If you are going for 2 full days, buy a season pass. It's cheaper. Plus it gives you an excuse to return during the Christmas season and see the park in it's most magical form. A Gold upgrade is about $45 and gets you a 10-20% discount on everything plus free parking. Only going 2 days in a season would be a challenge to make it worth it, but if you return for Christmas it could easily be done. There are no decent discounts available in the community. I believe McDonald's cups give maybe $3 off during Great American Summer (or at least they did last year) but the best deal is either the after 3 deal or a season pass. 

In the local area: Yes, Dixie Stampede is a blast. It is geared towards kids so you have to be able to appreciate the cheesy humor. But if you aren't one of the times to just roll your eyes at everything and are willing to find the humor in it, definitely go. The food is amazing if nothing else. Also, if you arrive 45 minutes to an hour before the show starts, they do something called the Parade of Horses, where you can go down to the edge of the show ring and meet the show horses. Very cool and little known fact. Lumberjack Feud is also another really good show and I've heard Hatfield & McCoy is hilarious if you like cheap humor. For non-show food, my favorite place to eat is Holston's Kitchen in Sevierville (Michael, I took your sister there when she and her husband visited) which has a really nice variety of burgers, sandwiches, pasta and salads. Apple Barn/Applewood Farmhouse are also fantastic, though a little more touristy and a little more expensive. But the hand made apple fritters ... mmmm! The food is one of the things I miss the most about living in that area. Other local favorites are The Pottery House at the Old Mill, Bellacino's Pizza in Sevierville, and Smoky Mountain Brewery.

For easy sight-seeing: The Roaring Fork Motor Trail runs out of Gatlinburg and is about a 15 mile one-way loop through the Smokies with some beautiful views and even the occasional bear sighting. Cades Cove is about an hour away and will be very busy as it's a very popular destination. The best time to get to either location is right after sunrise when they open the gates - that's prime bear-spotting time. You don't have to stay in your car, but if you don't, please park in a designated area. Don't just stop in the middle of the road and block traffic like all the rest of the tourists do. The sunsets off of Roaring Fork are also very beautiful. Place of A Thousand Drips is a cascade waterfall that's directly beside the Roaring Fork Motor Trail. For hiking, there are some very easy trails just inside the park. Sugarlands Nature Trail is about 2 miles in on the left. It's a paved trail with lots of flowers and other plant life. The Fighting Creek Nature Trail and Gatlinburg Trail both originate at the Sugarlands Visitor Center just inside the park on the right. The Nature Trail is a gentle loop that takes you past a few historic structures and through some nice areas of forest. About a 1/2 mile off the trail is the 30 ft Cataract Falls. Not the most impressive waterfall but super easy to get to. The Gatlinburg Trail is a 2 mile trail that goes into downtown Gatlinburg. It runs alongside the Little Pigeon River and also takes you past the remains of former homesites along the trail. All that's left are the stone chimneys and foundations and it's cool yet creepy. About 2 miles down Little River Rd (A right turn at Sugarlands Visitor Center - on the way to Cades Cove) is the trailhead for Laurel Falls. It's a 1.2 mile hike on a mostly paved trail to a very nice 80' waterfall. You can also make the drive up to Newfound Gap and Clingmans Dome. Newfound Gap is about a 45 minute drive into the Smokies on 441 and Clingmans Dome is another 15-20 minutes beyond that. Absolutely stunning views from both. You can hike the 1/2 mile, very steep trail up to the observation tower at the top of Clingmans Dome, the highest peak in the GSMNP. 

If you only have one day to explore the Smokies, I recommend driving to Newfound Gap and taking in the views, then going up to Clingmans Dome and seeing the observation tower. Then drive back down and head over to Laurel Falls for a fairly easy hike with a super rewarding waterfall at the end. Then before sunset, get on the Roaring Fork Motor Trail and get some beautiful sunset views, explore the restored cabins, and see another pretty waterfall. Or you can reverse that if you're really into sunsets - trust me when I say the sunset from Clingmans Dome is breathtaking. The drive back down in the dark can be a little scary if you aren't used to twisty mountain roads, but it's very, very worth it.

Insider tip: Unless you are going in to Gatlinburg for a specific reason, take the Gatlinburg Bypass. It's the last exit off of the spur (the section of Foothills Parkway between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg) and takes you up and around the main part of Gatlinburg. Very little traffic, and there's two fantastic overlooks on to downtown Gatlinburg along it. It will drop you off south of town, just inside the National Park. Also, take Veteran's Blvd instead of the Parkway if you can. Collier is the only cross-road between it and the Parkway, it will put you out in front of Walmart, next to Nascar Speedpark. 

Sorry for the super long reply. I lived in Sevierville for the last 3 years and I absolutely adore that area. If anyone ever has questions about the area, places to stay (Rodeway Inn is a good one - don't forget to get your free pancakes!), places to eat, or things to see, you guys can always PM me through the boards. 

• Like 6