Thunderbird Media Day

zacc1993

I will make this just a quick little trip report so I can get back to my school work. I have procrastinated long enough today already.

------------

I was lucky enough to win one of the auction seats for Thunderbird. I was on the first train, right wing, row 4. The morning we got there was very cold. We had to be at the park by 6:15 am for check-in. The auction riders were taken back first to Thunderbird before the rest of the group left the main gate. We were seated almost immediately in the nice and cold train and we waited for launch. I spent the day at Holiday World, with my mom. She loves wing riders and Holiday World so it made sense she was my guest today. 

Once the rest of the group made their way back to the plaza, you could hear a speech being given out in the plaza before we were launched. I couldn't make out anything that was said so if anyone here was there and not in station  and knows what was said, feel free to let us know. Launch time was precisely 6:50 am. You could hear the countdown start outside and work its way into the building. 5...4...3...2...1... "It's Launch Time!" 

We proceeded into the staging area amidst a dense fog and thunderstorm effects. We waited several seconds in the fog while it thundered around us. Then at the loudest crack of thunder, the train was whisked away. Through the fog, down the launch track, and into the Immelman. You truly were upside down before you knew it. The ride never let up. The vertical loop, horseshoe turns, zero g-roll, and fly throughs were amazing. The finish reminded me of Banshee so much but Thunderbird crawls through it slower and is drawn out, creating some crazy hangtime.  It was overall a fantastic addition to Holiday World! 

2vcjmg2.jpg

After our first flight we were able to warm ourselves up with breakfast: egg and cheese sandwiches on a buttered biscuit, strawberries and blueberries, cinnamon rolls, orange juice, and several other items. Ride time on Thunderbird, Voyage, and Crows Nest went until noon, so about 5 hours. Plenty of time to relax and enjoy the day. 

We were lucky enough to spend a little time on the other woodies when they were open, which ended up being only about 45 minutes. Raven still kicks some serious butt and Legend packs a punch with those lateral G's. The Legend is still my mom's favorite wooden coaster. Just goes to show you why we build so many different types of roller coasters, we all have different tastes. She didn't really say it but Thunderbird might be her favorite steel one now just based on her reactions to the ride.

w1wly8.jpg

We were treated to lunch around noon. They served pulled pork sandwiches and country fried steak, the new menu at the new food stand by Thunderbird (forgot the name). It was all delicious.  :D The Thunderbird Ice Cream was very different and not something everyone will like. It's vanilla ice cream with caramel and pecans. The funky thing about the ice cream though is that the pecans are fire roasted, making them spicy. I do encourage you to try it at least once. 

It was a very long day at the park and we didn't even stay for the last bit of ride time on Thunderbird or get dinner. We had been in the park for roughly 9 hours and had already ridden Thunderbird 14 times so we had plenty of laps. I was reminded why I love this little park in my home state. Can't wait to return later this summer!

As always, thanks for reading!

14cs5dc.jpg

2uf9hg3.jpg

n2zle1.jpg

2hp0y2b.jpg

inad4x.jpg

oaxhqv.jpg

29qebz7.jpg

• Like 19

Yes, it was a great day. I got 13 rides in on Thunderbird, and 4 on The Voyage.  It was also bittersweet, as The Beast got demoted to #2 on my top woodies list.  All I can say is OMG.  I can't wait to use my free tickets this year to ride all the other rides ,and check out Wildebeest (sp?) . On a side note, I also took the title for first lost item on Thunderbird. lol

17073425298_64bd7ccf30_z.jpg

17053723277_c66708e6e8_z.jpg

17073417058_c6b24bb6b5_z.jpg17053667127_90fa9df9ae_z.jpg

17235109046_82f2f10efb_z.jpg16638697944_c1afeb8e56_z.jpg17073639860_695faaa75c_z.jpg17073324108_e59d0c96b0_z.jpg

17259408202_a30d3d3f94_z.jpg16640892883_d5d7eb7e40_z.jpg17260640121_dff42c124c_z.jpg

17235187006_75401fc9c5_z.jpg

• Like 3