Mason Hotels

benny1388

We're considering a drive down on Friday to take in a few area favorites, including a few hours at the park. Then staying the night in Mason and then getting in the entire day Saturday at the park.

I see Super8 and the like in the area and none of them have massively negative reviews, but I was wondering if anybody here had any feedback on any of the places in the area like if there were any to avoid  etc.

edit: malem's reply made me realize I should indicate I'm looking for a budget hotel. We need clean, functional, and safe. Just a place to sleep and shower.

• Like 1

Family of 5 here.  We always stay at this little motel in Lebanon called The Shaker Inn.  10 minutes from the park.  I don't know if it qualifies as "budget", but it does for us.  It is always clean, and a nice little family owned place.  Might not fit everyone's style though.  Single story, slightly old-school.  But the rooms are excellent if you want sleep and a shower.

• Like 3

The cheap motels in Mason are extremely so (and I don't necessarily mean 'price'). You'll save money, and the people running them are friendly, but you'll see why they're so cheap quickly!  (I've been to two that have cigarette burns in the bed covers, mold in the ceiling panels, and ... hair... I'll just stop there.) The neighborhood is relatively safe, though, and well-patrolled at both "ends" of the town (by that I mean the Fields-Ertel end and the Kings Mills end).

I'd recommend spending a little more for the quality of the overall experience. Avoid the ones that advertise their weekly rates up front! Also, be aware that "nationally-advertised, brand-name" chains do not necessarily denote quality! Trust me. Conversely, chains whose names might lead you to believe that they're cheap because they're small ("micro"), might actually be of higher quality than you might expect. Check on-line for their rates.

• Like 5

I'll second the Shaker Inn.  I've known two groups that have stayed there over the past ten years and both have liked it for the same reason.  The people there really do seem to care.  It is modest, but clean, functional and safe, and you definitely don't feel like you're staying in a chain when you're there.  Lebanon is a lot quieter than Mason and has a nice downtown area if you are hungry, thirsty, or are really into antiques.

• Like 3

Conversely, chains whose names might lead you to believe that they're cheap because they're small ("micro"), might actually be of higher quality than you might expect. Check on-line for their rates.

To be a bit more blunt on this, I highly recommend the Microtel Inn over by The Beach Waterpark. I have stayed there twice before, for Opening and Closing Days last year, and can't really complain about anything.

• Like 4

Not sure how budget you mean.  I hope this will help. 

The Red Roof Inn on Fields Ertel Road used to be a Clarion hotel a few years when I last stayed there. It was a favorite of my team - inexpensive but nice ($60-$70 a night), It's been years since I've stayed at the RRI in Blue Ash but it looks as though it was renovated. 

I second malem about the Comfort Inn on Fields Ertle Rd. I'm staying there now; it has been renovated since the last time I stayed and it's nice and clean. A king room with AAA rates was about $76 before taxes. 

I would recommend double checking TripAdvisor before booking anything. Just read them with a healthy dose of reality as some people are expecting a Hilton experience but staying at a budget hotel. 

• Like 3

I stayed in that Microtel years ago before the brand was bought by Wyndham. It's been a while since I've stayed in one but Microtel's are a bit quirky and seem to be designed to maximize the limited space. Mirrors along the wall to make the room look bigger and tv mounted up high so it doesn't take up desk/dresser space. My personal favorite is the padded window bench; it's the perfect space to curl up with a good book.

• Like 4

First, I've not stayed in Mason in more than 30 years.

Second, I intensely do NOT recommend the Red Roof Inn in Blue Ash. The inn itself is now run by a franchisee. The area, and the inn, doesn't feel as safe as it once did. I last stayed there about four years ago. I would never stay there again. Let's just say it's best if all the things you left in a room are still there on your return. Better still if, in the event they are not, the response isn't "Oh, well, that's what your homeowner's insurance is for. File a claim with them. Stuff like that happens." (I didn't. And it was taken care of, NO thanks to the franchisee. So, NO THANKS to that franchisee. Now or ever. For me. After my complaint to corporate, a large box arrived at my abode. With my stuff. Really?)

• Like 6

Thanks for the feedback folks. Lots of good info.

I'll check out the Share Inn sometime, but probably when we don't have the kids. Microtel looks to be the way to go for us, assuming this coming weekend pans out as planned.

• Like 2

Might as well throw this in here as a PSA.

On the radio the other day, they were talking about hotels in the downtown area and the All star game coming this summer (I don't know the exact dates, but its usually early July IIRC)  They said most hotels downtown and across the river were sold out, and the hotels up into Mason were starting to fill up (all while the price was going up as well).  If you plan to stay In the area over that time frame, may want to expand your search a little to the North and take on a larger drive to/from the park.

• Like 4

The Shaker Inn in Lebanon has been in business for a LONG time, since the 60's at least.  While I have not stayed there, it is always busy and has a nice pool in front.   As for Lebanon, it is a lot quieter than Mason.  They have a nice downtown area with nice shops, including a very good ice cream shop. If you like trains, there is a very good scenic train ride that goes from Lebanon to Mason and back with the station located just below the downtown area.  

• Like 4

Second, I intensely do NOT recommend the Red Roof Inn in Blue Ash. The inn itself is now run by a franchisee. The area, and the inn, doesn't feel as safe as it once did. I last stayed there about four years ago. I would never stay there again. Let's just say it's best if all the things you left in a room are still there on your return. Better still if, in the event they are not, the response isn't "Oh, well, that's what your homeowner's insurance is for. File a claim with them. Stuff like that happens." (I didn't. And it was taken care of, NO thanks to the franchisee. So, NO THANKS to that franchisee. Now or ever. For me. After my complaint to corporate, a large box arrived at my abode. With my stuff. Really?)

I second Terpy.  I stayed at both the Blue Ash and Mason Red Roofs last summer and hated them both.  While the Mason one is marginally better in that it has inside corridors, the property has not been kept up.  It is dirty, allows pets, and attracts a not so nice crowd.  The one in Blue Ash is downright awful.  Outside corridors, shady area, poorly maintained, not a lot of stuff around it that's still operating when the park closes.

My personal fav is the Hilton Garden Inn in Mason.  Newish (sev years old), well-kept, nice pool for the kids, friendly staff, right in the middle of the action (and only a 5 minute walk to Graeters!).  I concur with the other posters in that you should be wiling to spend about $75-85 for a place you'd feel safe in.  There are lots of discount codes out there for Hilton (and other major chains) that a simple internet search can provide you that usually shave off about $15-25 off the room rate. 

• Like 3

After my complaint to corporate, a large box arrived at my abode. With my stuff. Really?

Wow.  That's crazy!  I'm glad you got your stuff back.  Could have been worse I suppose.  It's been awhile, but I've stayed at some nice, clean, cheap Red Roofs before.  Too bad that one is not up to par.

• Like 5

On a similar note, and I'll try to get this from being too depressing..

My grandfather was essentially moved into an assisted living facility due to a stroke.  He had lived on his own for who knows how many years in the same apartment.  The management was given notice that he'd be out by the end of the month.  Before that time was up, they decided to show off the unit to at least one prospective tenant and, in the process of entering the unit, some of his belongings disappeared.  Only after repeated complaints and attempts to get the media involved did said belongings mysteriously reappear.

Integrity?  Ethics?  Maturity?  These concepts and more fail many people.

• Like 5

I second Terpy.  I stayed at both the Blue Ash and Mason Red Roofs last summer and hated them both.  While the Mason one is marginally better in that it has inside corridors, the property has not been kept up.  It is dirty, allows pets, and attracts a not so nice crowd.  The one in Blue Ash is downright awful.  Outside corridors, shady area, poorly maintained, not a lot of stuff around it that's still operating when the park closes.

The Interpreter - that is not acceptable. I can't even comprehend. I feel paranoid doing it but I will either lock my suitcase or bring my electronics with me. I don't want to assume one way or the other but it's not worth the risk. 

Clearly it has been a while since I've stayed in any Cincinnati area RRI - from 2004-2006, it was a nice stand-by as they were well under our work travel budget at the time. I can't remember if it was Blue Ash or the Mt Carmel Red Roof Inn where I received a call from the hotel office asking me to not leave the roof as there was a police situation on property. Traveling alone for work and hearing the police shout at the person in a room a few doors down from me for several hours. Not quite the best of evenings. 

Gabe - that is really disappointing to hear about the Mason one. It was really nice as a Clarion and one of my friends would stay there all the time. He loved it. I stayed there once when we were traveling together for work. I was impressed...but that was under different management. 

• Like 3

Exterior, yes.  Room interior?  Not so much.  Especially when there's a switch right by the door.

They're not leaving the light on *for you* if they're referring to the exterior lighting.  They're leaving those lights on for everyone.

• Like 1

I have stayed at the Super8 three times.  The first time was good, as expected for a Super8.  That was in 2009.  I stayed there last year and for opening day this year.  I'm just looking for a place to stay, nothing fancy and it serves that purpose.  The mattress is terrible, but most anything would do after walking around the park all day.  The staff is friendly, the breakfast is ok.  I prefer Comfort Inn and Holiday Inn Express, but those can be pricey on a nurse's budget during the summer travel season.  However, I may check into (get it?) the Shaker Inn sometime.

• Like 3

Our last stay in Mason, was at the Microtel. We had stayed there before, and, it was a "serviceable" experience. Our last however, left MrsNC, with a few bites around her ankles.

We have never even considered the Super 8. Red Roof? Not in this life time. 

Our real mainstay had become the KII&CC, it really was nice, if you asked for the rooms in the A, B, or C buildings. Sadly, no longer an option. 

After reading this thread, we have cancelled our room, at a different location, and booked at The Shaker Inn. We booked a small suite, which consists of 2 rooms. One with a king size bed and TV, the other a full size sofa-bed and TV. A built in microwave and refrigerator are included with the room. Final cost, with tax, $170.60 for 2 nights. And this is for Coasterstock weekend. Not sure how many rooms they have left, but MrsNC did mention to them that this site had brought us there. I am actually looking forward to this stay after reading many reviews.   I'll post a review here after our stay. Few things would make me happier, than for a small road side hotel to become our "go to" option. 

• Like 4

The Shaker Inn

We'll be staying just up the road that weekend in a cabin at Cedarbrook Campground.....$49.51 per night.

We can hash out some plans next week since I'm all about CP opening weekend today.

Leaving tommorow for 2 nights at Hotel Breakers.

Can't wait!

• Like 2

Just booked a room at the Shaker Inn for Coasterstock.  They ony had one single bed room left, and it is a smoking permitted room, but I think I can handle that.  The lady I spoke with was really nice and we talked about how it is a family run business.  I'm looking forward to it!

• Like 3