Kings Dominion ride removal / 2016 coaster addition?

RUMOR: According to In the Loop, Kings Dominion will be adding a B&M coaster, because the exclusivity rights from Busch Gardens and B&M expire. As per rumor, This would unfortunately comes at the price of a coaster removal. The coaster appointed, ( according to the rumor ) would be Shockwave the last TOGO standup coaster on the continent. And one of the only few TOGOs left in the world. As a coaster enthusiast I would hate to see that happen. Another option would be to remove Hurler. ( the better option in my opinion ). To me the removal of Hurler would make more sense considering the ride is a walk on all the time, and it seemed fairly vanilla for a woodie. With the next addition most likely being B&M, what would seem most fitting for KD? A winged coaster or a hyper similar to Diamonback or Behemoth would be my best bet. I'm hoping another manufacture could get to see the spotlight. ( Mack hyper coaster anybody? ). The options are limitless, it's a bright future for the coaster world.

• Like 5

I'm game for some predictions.

If B&M (though I'm kind of doubting the exclusivity rights rumor)- I don't see them getting a hyper coaster as it would be a bit odd to advertise with I305 already on the property.  I could actually see them getting an inverted coaster since a B&M would do things that Volcano doesn't and has much better capacity (something KD could use).  Either a flyer or wing coaster would be ideal as it would be something fairly unique to the area. 

If the Hurler rumor turns to be true, why not a GCI?  That'd be something they could hold over BGW, having a woodie worthy of decent attention, go a bit old school.  I could also see KD adding to a fairly nice selection of family coasters with a Mack or something of similar scale.  They've already dealt with Mack twice in the past.  

This idea is going to come out of left field, but I can almost see a Eurofighter working out.  

• Like 7

I agree. With I305 already there a hyper wouldn't seem as major an addition. Though I305 seems to be more about speed and intensity (haven't been on it but just judging by POV videos so correct me if I'm wrong) whereas the hypers are usually airtime machines. So would still provide some variance. But think a wing coaster or flyer would give more variety. Feel like an inverted, while a great addition, would be a bit of a retread with having both Volcano and Dominator there already. A flyer or wing rider would just add a bit more variety for them than an inverted like Banshee did for us.

• Like 3

I agree. With I305 already there a hyper wouldn't seem as major an addition. Though I305 seems to be more about speed and intensity (haven't been on it but just judging by POV videos so correct me if I'm wrong) whereas the hypers are usually airtime machines. So would still provide some variance. But think a wing coaster or flyer would give more variety. Feel like an inverted, while a great addition, would be a bit of a retread with having both Volcano and Dominator there already. A flyer or wing rider would just add a bit more variety for them than an inverted like Banshee did for us.

More than likely, it will be winged or drop (?) coaster?  A drop coaster may be dismissed as a copy of Griffon at BGE by the locals though.

I-305 is lateral force and speed machine although there are 3 air time hills that are also really intense as well.  Out of 4 giga coasters I have been on, I-305 is by far the most forceful.  

• Like 2

Hi guys! I’m a longtime lurker on here, first time poster. I live in Virginia and am a member of a Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens Williamsburg fansite, so perhaps I can provide some insight.

As for the exclusivity contract between BGW and B&M, it is believed that it in fact did exist. However, with BGW’s last three coasters coming from Zierer and Premier, we believe the contract expired a few years ago. If KD were waiting to jump in and build a B&M as soon as they could, they would have done it already.

Shockwave, our TOGO standup, is likely not in danger of removal… at least not right now. It’s located smack in the middle of our Candy Apple Grove midway (equivalent to KI’s Coney Mall), surrounded by other attractions and without any backstage access. It also has a small footprint, high popularity, and some of the best reliability in the park. Plus, with the spare parts from King Kobra and SkyRider, it has plenty of parts. I cannot imagine this coaster leaving any time soon, and it’s difficult to envision an E-ticket coaster taking its place.

All signs are pointing towards Hurler for removal. Hurler is located in a somewhat remote corner of the park, and behind it sits a fairly large amount of open land. It also takes up a large amount of space, which is considerably unjustified given its dismally low ridership. In fact, the last bit of Wayne’s World theming was stripped away from its station this season. Most people criticize Hurler for either being: A.) extremely rough, or B.) boring. Even if KD’s next coaster doesn’t replace Hurler, I am confident that it will be the next coaster to be removed.

Whenever KD gets a new coaster, it will almost certainly go on Hurler’s side of the park, the west side. With the exception of our Mack mouse and the long-gone Hypersonic, every coaster added to KD since 1996 has gone into the “Safari Village” section on the east side of the park. This makes the park feel lopsided and foot traffic uneven. There is room behind the Kings Dominion Theatre in the “Old Virginia” section (west side of the park) for a coaster to go along the interstate, and Dinosaurs Alive and our go-karts, both located beside the Theatre in Old Virginia, are both rumored to be on the short list for removal.

Other posters here pretty much hit the mark though: whenever KD gets a new coaster, it likely will be a B&M. Especially with the failure of Tempesto at BGW, KD has the chance to come in with a swing and dominate Virginia for quite a few years. A B&M flyer or wing rider are both possibilities, and they are both unique to the region.

Hopefully this has provided a little more info on what’s going on down in Virginia. I really enjoy the discussions you all have here, and I’d love to be able to provide insight about KI’s sister park for you all. If you have any KD questions, I guess I’m your guy!  :)

• Like 9

Welcome to KIC, JoeKD!

Especially with the failure of Tempesto at BGW, KD has the chance to come in with a swing and dominate Virginia for quite a few years.

Not meaning for this to sound like I'm attacking you: outside of the nonexistent promotion of Tempesto during its construction, how has it been a failure?

• Like 6

I will say the Hurler at KD is possibly the second roughest wooden coaster I've ever been on, Son of Beast of course holds the top spot.

Hurler at Carowinds was a much more tolerable experience last season, thanks to retracking.

If it came down to Hurler or Shockwave being removed, I'd say TIMBER!

• Like 3

I've seen many good reports about Tempesto.

The Parkfans forum for some reason hates everything about it from capacity to location. They deemed it a failure before it was even built.

I always look forward to riding a new coaster I haven't been on clone or not ( hey this fits with what I said above with Tempesto but this is about another ride) but I must say you guys are making me dread my credit ride on Hurler.

• Like 5

Welcome to KIC, JoeKD!

Especially with the failure of Tempesto at BGW, KD has the chance to come in with a swing and dominate Virginia for quite a few years.

Not meaning for this to sound like I'm attacking you: outside of the nonexistent promotion of Tempesto during its construction, how has it been a failure?

Good question! Simply put, it hasn't achieved the numbers it's been expected to. I wish I could provide you with exact numbers, but they're not what one would typically expect with the opening of a new coaster. I'm not sure if it has to do with the nonexistent advertising or not. I will say that BGW's park president, Carl Lum, explicitly stated that Tempesto wasn't meant to be a "major" coaster, so perhaps it was never intended to bring in the masses like, say, Verbolten. I don't mean to knock the coaster itself- it's a very fun attraction. I highly recommend experiencing it.

I should also add that, personally, I don't mind Hurler. I am of smaller stature, which is perhaps why I don't find it rough at all. It is, however, a somewhat boring ride, with a fairly lackluster layout. It's certainly worth at least one ride, though. 

Also, thanks for the warm welcome. Sorry about the misspelling of King Cobra- I didn't realize there was a difference in spelling! 

• Like 8

I fail to see how building a coaster that launches to 62 mph, is 150 ft tall, is one of the more abstract looking rides and even has been designed to handle an extra car for better capacity isn't a major coaster.  A smaller family coaster- perhaps, but not this.  Heck, Verbolten can be labeled as a smaller ride, yet they let people know well before February that it was being added.  

• Like 7

On Thunder Road: With how recent that rebuild was, I have a really hard time believing the Screamscape rumor that it will be torn down after this season. The only thing that gives it any credit in my mind is that--if I remember correctly, and I very well could be mistaken--it hasn't had any work done since Ouimet replaced Kinzel. I went to Carowinds in March of last year, and the last two bunny hills or so hadn't been redone (to comedic effect--up till that point, it was glass smooth. It then began jackhammering like you wouldn't believe.) It makes me wonder if the brakes were put on that project as soon as possible. But it still seems like a huge waste of investment to tear it down with as much work as it has been given.

On Shockwave: I really don't know what could replace it in the footprint that it has. It's not a particularly big ride. The first thing that comes to mind is a small Gerstlauer Eurofighter, but I think that thing would have just as bad a people capacity as Shockwave, if not worse.