Has Dinosaurs Alive ran it's course?

Coaster Addict

My daughter is finally old enough to enjoy Kings Island! She was very excited to show her shiny new gold pass to enter Dinosaurs Alive. Unfortunately as we began to walk through jurassic island, we quickly realized that none of these animatronic wonders of the world were moving. It wasn't until we approached the fossil digging area that the dinosaurs started moving. Another family that was behind us actually paid hard earned cash for this disaster. So... Was it just a one time mishap, or has this happened to anyone else? (I spent about 10 minutes at each dinosaur trying to get them to move.)

• Like 4

The dinosaurs are activated by crowd movement and often take a break after their last activation. If you wait for a couple of minutes, they will reactivate.  If you look around the display, you will see their silent eye activation and you can walk past it to turn the dinosaur on. I happened to enter once and the group ahead of me was activating the displays, but by the time I got to the first display, it had stopped. Just take a break for a minute and they should start up again shortly. If they don't start up, it might be something else but I have never seen the whole area not working.

• Like 6

I went through it tonight for the first time. My wife and I enjoyed a little stroll through the woods but I also feel like the space could be better used. I definitely don't think I would pay additional money to enter it if I didn't have a gold pass.

• Like 9

Back on May 1, the first dozen or so dinos on the trail were non-functional, and yes, I attempted multiple times to trip the "eyes". It wasn't until I got about 10 minutes into the trail that I encountered ones that were working.

• Like 6

Its the same at Carowinds and Kings Dominion. Most of them work but some don't. Some emit a high pitched noise instead of dino sounds and others don't respond to the "user control panel".

My kids love them only for the Giant sand box...

• Like 5

Call me lazy, I think it would be more fun had they really themed it well, and made it some sort of ride.  They spent a lot of money on that, and I don't think it was worth it.  I had much higher hopes prior to seeing it for the first time.  And it's beyond dreadful on a really hot day.

• Like 3

Me and the youngster went through it for the fist time a couple weeks ago. I didn't think it was to bad.

But I also was a big fan of dino's growing up.

The older I get, though, the more i seem to like things i really liked as a kid.

• Like 9

It is a nice, big attraction full of shade trees and interesting, life-sized replicas of fascinating animals. You don't have to stand in long lines to enjoy it.  You can spend as much time in it as you like (as long as the attraction remains open), you can take pictures, it is relatively peaceful, and it rarely seems to break down. I like it, and hope it stays around for a while.

• Like 9

I like it a lot. I was always turned off by the short program on each dino and then the 2 minute break they take after each. Just let the things keep moving. Or else what's the point? Either give the illusion they're real or don't.

It's just like what Terp says about ride closures: if a ride is closed when I try to get on it, then for my intents and purposes, it was closed all day. If half the dinosaurs I walk by don't move (because I caught them during a "break,") then those 30 dinosaurs must just not move at all.

Which is not good show.

Either we're supposed to think they're real, we're supposed to think they're statues, OR we're supposed to think they're statues they occasionally move. Which of those is the most engaging? Which is the current plan?

• Like 10

Yea if they could do some better upkeep on it I think ti would be a nice addition to keep for awhile still. I wet through it last year since we got the free admission with the Gold Pass. It was nice to walk through as it was but I'm glad I didn't have to pay for it. It can be fun and the kids in it seemed to enjoy it a lot too. It does make for a nice break from the crowds and rides and is a scenic walk to get away for a few minutes.

• Like 1

It really needs to be taken offline and replaced with a proper attraction - preferably one that is 60-75% indoors and/or makes great use of the already existing trees. I'd love to see it replaced with a super solid B/C+ ticket. I'm sure they could re-skin some of the figures and make use of them in same way or another. 

Maybe keep the same walkway and just re-theme it all into something else that is educational.

It was nice to be able to stroll through last night for a bit of a break from the hustle and bustle of the rest of the park. Plus having some shade is nice.

• Like 2

Maybe keep the same walkway and just re-theme it all into something else that is educational.

It was nice to be able to stroll through last night for a bit of a break from the hustle and bustle of the rest of the park. Plus having some shade is nice.

Maybe they could charge $5 ($4 for passholders) for a beautiful Midwestern Woods Walk featuring 100+ varieties of deciduous forest biome flora. (Squirrel sighting extra) 

• Like 5

IMO, it's ran its course as a pay attraction. Free? Sure, keep it around but don't charge people for a half assed(present day) attraction.

Agree it is definitely not worth paying for anymore, though if they can make revenue off of it don't see them making it free. Though they do keep lowering the price or making bundle deals with it.

Also don't agree with people saying it needs to be removed and a new ride there. It is a great spot for a new ride or an X-Base extension but there is still plenty of other space to expand without having to remove something.

• Like 3

I went through it and can't imagine paying to go through it. Thankfully its free with gold pass, but I'd much rather replace it with a better and more enjoyable perk. It felt so awkward just going around and looking at these statues(it seemed like none of them worked and one of them had their sound really messed up), I can see this attraction fitting in better at a museum than I do at an amusement park.

Hi guys! "Kings Dominion" guy again. I struck up a conversation with a few of Kings Dominion's high-ups, including the vice president and general major, about future park prospects. While they obviously didn't confirm anything, they massively hinted that Dinosaurs Alive will be on its way out within the next few years. This should, of course, be taken with a massive grain of salt, but my understanding is that Cedar Fair's contract with the manufacturer of Dinosaurs Alive (who also maintain the attraction) is up, and that they are opting not to renew (perhaps due to all the technical difficulties?). That would bring about a removal of all eight Dinosaurs Alive attractions across the Cedar Fair chain.

Take that for what it's worth, I suppose.

• Like 1