Has Dinosaurs Alive ran it's course?

Coaster Addict

I think we may be missing the point here with DA. We are not really the target market. I take my son through there every time we go to the park. He absolutely loves it. Can't get enough of it. Moving or not. He roars at the Dinos.

I see kids up to about 9/10 who just love it. Kids and Dinos are a perfect fit. Not sure why.

As for the sensors, I think many are messed with by the sunlight or shade combo. As they are motion activated they rely on light bouncing back into the bulb.

Plus with that area so far out of the way, it's not like it's keeping future growth from happening. However this year they did remove the paid photo booth area and replaced it with a dinosaur selfie area.

• Like 6

Also keep in mind tha what half of them are static displays only.

Half of them are not static displays, or are at least not supposed to be. There should be over 60 animatronics, according to the advertising for the attraction, with only a handful of the dinosaurs being static.

And it's beyond dreadful on a really hot day.

This I'll agree with... it boggles my mind how an area that appears so shaded can end up being so unbearably hot. Maybe I've just always visited the attraction at the worst possible time though.

• Like 4

I think DA really was and still is a great extra attraction at the park and offers a break from the lines and rides as well as the hot sun, but like most of you, I am afraid that this attraction is showing early signs of fatigue. Nothing seems to be made to last anymore. There is so much potential for this attraction to flourish to keep people wanting to come back to it ( pass holder or not ). Either way, if DA is on its way out at any given point in the future, I hope the land that the attraction currently occupies can be transformed into something else that utlizes the peaceful serentiy of the woods.

• Like 3

I think we may be missing the point here with DA. We are not really the target market. ...

If I'm not the target market(two four year olds), then who is?

We as in the general we. We the coaster enthusiasts. We who are a bit older.

In what you quoted I even said kids under 10 appear to be the target market

• Like 4

Dinosaurs do not need to move to be a success. When I was but a small BB1, I went to a small park in Kentucky called Dinosaur World. Huge dinosaurs, didn't move at all. Yet I loved that place, in fact I remember it more than anything. I kept this place in mind throughout the years, and it still is a place of intrigue. I need to go back, but again this is a testament to Dinosaurs in general, DA is Dinosaur World V II. (If you have never went, and if you have children or are just interested in it, I highly suggest you go; EDIT: Yep, 8:30-5)

• Like 2

IMO, it's ran its course as a pay attraction. Free? Sure, keep it around but don't charge people for a half assed(present day) attraction.

Agree it is definitely not worth paying for anymore, though if they can make revenue off of it don't see them making it free. Though they do keep lowering the price or making bundle deals with it.

Also don't agree with people saying it needs to be removed and a new ride there. It is a great spot for a new ride or an X-Base extension but there is still plenty of other space to expand without having to remove something.

I agree with both of you, It's a very nice walk to wined down from a long day of roller coaster and thrill rides (if free) otherwise leave the themed walkway, and a few dinosaurs and build a nice dinosaur themed roller coaster back there. Seriously how bad ass would an intense prehistoric themed Intamin  be? do I dare say a Velociraptor Dive Coaster?

• Like 1

I'd not hold my breath on an INTAMIN installation any time soon.

Shoot! The Rapids?

I hope that's sarcasm, seeing as how KI has three water rides.... I don't hold my breath for an Intamin either, but a man can dream. Id be perfectly happy with anything back there really.

I know the idea has been discussed before and that it's a silly bit of armchair Imagineering, but here in Columbus the zoo has a relaxing, drop-free boat ride through a few simple Pacific Island animal habitats that, every summer, becomes Dinosaur Island. They simply rent animatronic dinosaurs and place them along the ride's course. Very simple. No drops. Just a relaxing boat tour. I think they charge $2 or $3 dollars for passholders and guests, respectively. 

Dinsaur-Island-feature.jpg

Even though the terrain back there is prohibitive, I think a relaxing boat ride past dinosaurs is such a nice diversion. What a simple way to reinvigorate the attraction. And if each boat tripped the animatronic well before it was in sight, it would give the appearance that they're constantly moving, at least.

Obviously it's entirely unlikely, but perhaps in another world the Cedar Fair parks would've built this kind of thing to begin with.

EDIT: By the way, don't come up here looking for it... This summer, it's Pirate Island instead, and is likely to stay that way; the zoo purchased the pirates instead of renting the dinosaurs. ;) 

• Like 8

Come June 12th (and potentially the rest of this season), expect to see a renewed interest in everything involving dinosaurs. Definitely not the overwhelming amount seen in '93, but still quite a bit.

Then all we'll need is an animatronic Chris Pratt, doing wheelies on a motorcycle in the Velociraptor section. ;)

• Like 5

You can get close at Universal's Islands of Adventure, where the [in?]famous Triceratops Encounter attraction in Jurassic Park is becoming a meet-and-greet with Jurassic World's intelligent velociraptors. Seriously. 

• Like 4

That boat ride sounds like a FANTASTIC idea. CP could definitely use something like it, since Paddlewheel Excursions has gone the way of the dinosaur. I miss that ride.

There's a place in Pigeon Forge that is an indoor dinosaur themed boat ride with lots of animatronics and special effects. I've been there a couple times and they do a very nice job of keeping it up, despite there never being a crowd. (Actually we had the place to ourselves both times we went.) It was REALLY cool. I'd love to see them do something like that only outdoors.

• Like 2

The Columbus Zoo found a way to increase the price of a ride from $1 to $2-3 as well as seeming to drastical increase ridership. Whenever we were at the zoo, there was a decent steady line for the ride. I wasn't sold on it but I also realize that I'm not the target audience for the experience. I'll just be over watching the Asian small-clawed otters play.

The youngest two still enjoy DA and we normally make at least 1-2 trips each season. It's a really nice break from rides while still allowing them to be active instead of sitting still.

I've seen one of the dinosaur companies in the vendor hall of previous conferences but I've never paid much attention to their rental/purchase price. Knowing the running cost of other exhibits, it's not a small investment but I'm curious as to the ROI.

• Like 1

I'll be honest... I really don't know why, but I thoroughly enjoyed the dino boat ride at the Columbus Zoo. I can't say I have an objective reason for why I thought it was cool--Dinosaurs Alive doesn't do much for me. I'm a little bummed it's changing. I guess I'm weird like that. (Maybe it's the boat? I thought Paddlewheel Excursions was pretty neat, too. I'll have to test that theory out at Busch Gardens Williamsburg, despite the lack of animatronics.)

As far as the future of Dinosaurs Alive goes... I dunno. It doesn't bother me that it's there, and it seems to be fairly popular with the kiddos. It's not unusual to overhear younger kids at the park talking about it. I don't feel a pressing need to go through it (I've probably been through three times, at most, since it was installed) but it's not aimed at me. As long as someone's enjoying it, it can keep on keepin' on, as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 5

I am 99.99% positive Dinosaurs Alive is under a 5 year contract. 

That being said, a group of KICers went through on Saturday late afternoon and we were quite disappointed with the upkeep of the dinos. Several dinos are covered in what looks to be mold....some of the dinos that are close to the path, you can look in the mouths of the and they are not in the best condition, some with epoxy (spelling?) showing where they've tried to fix things....some of the "skin" wearing off of the "horns", etc.

Overall, it's an interesting exhibit, but not something I see sticking around for much longer. 

• Like 5