Roller Coaster Guilty Pleasures

CoasterDirected

...most people...

Smile.

The whole concept of 'guilty pleasure' is tied up in liking a coaster you know you "shouldn't."

For years, I knew, as an "enthusiast," I "shouldn't" like NJFTP. Therefore, I didn't go.

Finally, in 1998, curiosity got the best of me.

My coaster snobbery kept me away from a wonderful park for at least 20 years. I no longer care what I "should" or "shouldn't" like. For very similar reasons, I also do not see myself as a coaster enthusiast. More like an industry cheerleader, avid fan and observer.

I "should" like Voyage. Nope. Not even a little.

I "should" revere Holiday World. I DO hold Pat Koch in high esteem...the park? No. Not anymore.

I "should" look down my nose at SIX. Nope.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

I like what I like and don't what I don't. Without feeling guilty. It's my time, my money, my life. If I choose to like what others do or don't, it's of no great consequence, to them or me.

• Like 19

My guilty pleasure would be Intamin coasters, they have a bad rep as far as reliability, and capacity. But when I need that extra thrill. I make the trip up north to get my fix. It's well worth the time and money.

• Like 1

Hmm...with my limited park experience, I haven't been on too many coasters that are generally seen as "bad" but there could be some options:

7r6e00158t408002dhq004.jpg

Vortex @ Kings Island

While the hatred isn't universal (there seem to still be PLENTY of fans of this ride besides me), Vortex (and these huge Arrow Loopers in general) tend to get more flak than most rides for their head-banging and in polls like the Mitch Hawker poll will often be fairly near the bottom (In the 2013 MH Steel Poll Vortex ranked #294 out of 364 rides). While I do agree there is head-banging here, it's not enough to outweigh the good features the ride has IMO- a great layout, good forces, actual airtime from the cars near the back on the big drop, etc etc. And, thanks to its pretty solid capacity and few Ques, lines are almost always less than 30 minutes making this my main go-to coaster on a crowded day.

9afpc0002nlb000006ooe2.jpg

Backlot Stunt Coaster @ Kings Island

It gets OK reviews for the most part (ranked 226th on the Mitch Hawker poll which isn't terrible) but BLSC does get a bit of hate it seems- I'd guess it's not really for the ride experience itself but what it replaced and where it was put down within the park though, which I do agree wasn't the best of moves (this ride would fit much better in Action Zone). The ride itself is far from bad though, and is actually really fun for a small coaster. It kinda stinks how bad it's capacity is though. But, if the park isn't crowded, this one is on my to-do list whenever I visit KI.

Adventure Express almost made my cut as a guilty pleasure, but while I love that ride, it's huge cult following as one of the best mine train coasters ever made alone made me think it just a bit too mainstream, and this is for coasters that DON'T get glowing reviews often.

Legend @ Holiday World doesn't really count as a guilty pleasure (great reviews and usually it ranks fairly high in polls), but I do have an uncommon opinion on it: I think it's the best coaster at Holiday World when most rank it last (though depending on how Thunderbird reviews, this may change).

(Responses to a few earlier posts)

Also: Front Row on The Beast, especially at night, is awesome but this is such a common opinion and Beast is usually seen in such a good light I don't think it counts as a guilty pleasure (even as my favorite coaster so far overall). I don't think modern INTAMIN rides should count either- while they break down a lot, when they work, a lot of their rides are considered world-class and beloved by the hardcore coaster enthusiasts. Rides like Bizarro (SNFE), El Toro (SFGadv), Expedition GeForce (Holiday Park Germany) and many others would not top poll after poll otherwise or be ranked 9.0+ on websites with coaster ratings. Some of their older rides, like White Cyclone @ Nagashima Spa Land (random example I picked from my head), could theoretically count though as those didn't review nearly as well.

And finally, I agree with Terpy- to quote Yukon Cornelius from the Rudolph special- "I'LL LIKE WHAT I LIKE AND YOU LIKE WHAT YOU LIKE!". :P

• Like 6

...most people...

Smile.

The whole concept of 'guilty pleasure' is tied up in liking a coaster you know you "shouldn't."

For years, I knew, as an "enthusiast," I "shouldn't" like NJFTP. Therefore, I didn't go.

Finally, in 1998, curiosity got the best of me.

My coaster snobbery kept me away from a wonderful park for at least 20 years. I no longer care what I "should" or "shouldn't" like. For very similar reasons, I also do not see myself as a coaster enthusiast. More like an industry cheerleader, avid fan and observer.

I "should" like Voyage. Nope. Not even a little.

I "should" revere Holiday World. I DO hold Pat Koch in high esteem...the park? No. Not anymore.

I "should" look down my nose at SIX. Nope.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

I like what I like and don't what I don't. Without feeling guilty. It's my time, my money, my life. If I choose to like what others do or don't, it's of no great consequence, to them or me.

I could use that for 90 percent of things i've been told I should like or not like. 

Words of wisdom.....

• Like 6

I "shouldn't" like Maggie because from what I'm told, there are better coasters at Cedar Point. I've ridden all of the ones they'll let me on, and I've yet to find it, so unless Wilderness Run is REALLY spectacular, I don't buy into that... Despite the public perception, Maggie is my absolute favorite inversionless coaster (well, definitely so when trimless. With trims, it's a toss-up between that and...)

Phantom's Revenge. As a fan of Arrow Loopers, and Toomer designs in general, I'm torn on this one. I hate that it came at the cost of an old Toomer, but it's just so darn good, I can't help but love it. Under normal circumstances, it's my favorite inversionless coaster ever. However, as said above, in the rare case of a trimless ride on Maggie, it does get beat.

I love Arrow Loopers more than any other type of coaster. Public perception would indicate that apparently that's not normal. If the public wants to keep my wait times lower by avoiding these rides, more power to them.

Dinn coasters in general. I just like them, OK? Mean Streak, Predator, and Thunder Run all sit proudly in my top 5 woodies.

Carowinds Hurler. I don't get the hate. I really don't. I've never had a ride on this that was even remotely rough. It is a smooth, enjoyable woodie by my experience. KD's Hurler, however...

Vekoma Junior coasters. What? They're fun little rides and at most parks they rarely have a wait.

Goliath (SFGAm). It's really popular to hate on RMC. I don't like the notion of butchering classic woodies to build them, but I've got no qualms with original installs. I think it's steel. Some (incorrectly) think it's wooden. But what I DO know for sure is that it's a heck of a ride.

Viper at Darien Lake. Occasionally I'll slip up and acknowledge that this is actually my favorite Arrow Looper... Sorry, Vortex :'(

Six Flags. I've only been to one of their parks, admittedly, but I really don't get the hate. SFGAm is one of the best parks I've ever been to and has an incredibly diverse coaster lineup with GREAT woodies, awesome B&Ms (besides the Flyer, which is mediocre at best), one of the best Arrow Loopers around, and my favorite non-spinning Mouse. I would complain about the price of parking, but Kings Island is quickly encroaching on them in that regard.

Lightning Run. I'm skinny and the restraints don't bother me at all. In fact, it is my all-time favorite steel coaster with a height of less than 150 feet.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, some things that I don't particularly care for as much as conventions indicate I should...

Millennium Force. I get the "Millennium" part of it, but I've yet to find anything resembling force and I've ridden a lot of different rows... The CP&LERR is a much more exciting ride.

The Beast. I have an enormous appreciation for the ride and its history, but in my opinion, long flat straightaways (excluding launch strips and brake runs) are THE cardinal sin in coaster design, and unfortunately, are a sin that The Beast commits in a couple of places. I like the ride, but I'm not going to pretend it's the greatest wooden coaster ever built. Not by a LONG shot. See also Ride of Steel at Darien Lake (and SFA, I suppose, though I haven't ridden that one). I enjoy it, but I wish there were something more exciting where those straightaways are.

Volcano: The Blast Coaster. Sorry, Terpy. The launches are cool, but I CANNOT STAND slow inversions, and unfortunately, this ride has too many for me. The last inversion on Banshee almost kills that ride for me, too, TBH.

I-305. Oh, is blacking out supposed to be fun? Sorry, headaches aren't my cup of tea. And for someone who LOVES Arrow Loopers to complain that a ride gives them a headache, you're doing something VERY wrong.

Canada's Wonderland. Beautiful park. Located in a great area. Friendly staff. But they have hands-down the WORST collection of coasters I've ever seen in a major amusement park. Riding the rides there is a literal test of human endurance. And now that Fury 325 exists and outshines Leviathan in every conceivable way, the only coaster that might ever draw me back is Behemoth. And even then, Raging Bull is considerably closer and doesn't require a passport...

• Like 3

I think people are misintepreting the thrust of this topic. I interpreted it as not so much about unpopular opinions, but about coasters that you yourself think are bad coasters, yet you find yourself occasionally riding and enjoying them anyway in kind of a masochistic way.

• Like 1

As far as that I would say Son of Beast was mine. Get banged around on that and was not a good design in the cars for tall people. But I always enjoyed it still. And would kind of make a game and see fi I could go the whole ride without having the lap bar cinch down more from the forces. Usually after bringing the bar down to a secure tight position, the forces during the ride would manage to bring it down another 2-3 clicks.

As for rides I really like but have unpopular public opinion for the most part I would agree with the others about BLSC. I really enjoy it, especially the tunnel at the end is one of my favorite coaster elements at KI since it is pitch black and swerving around fast. The entire track is a fun ride though

• Like 1

I think people are misintepreting the thrust of this topic. I interpreted it as not so much about unpopular opinions, but about coasters that you yourself think are bad coasters, yet you find yourself occasionally riding and enjoying them anyway in kind of a masochistic way.

To an extent yes, thats what I thought. 

• Like 1

My KI coaster guilty pleasures are Flight of Fear and Flying Ace. FoF has been sort of rough lately (mostly I'm referring to last season), yet I keep riding because somehow I really want to like it, but then it's just more of the usual. Flying Ace has a similar story, though I don't ride it as much. Although it's not a coaster, I'd also say The Crypt was definitely a guilty pleasure of mine when it was around because even though it had a tamer ride cycle for the last few years, I still (somewhat) enjoyed it, despite remembering what Tomb Raider was like. As for other parks, I'd say Mean Streak at Cedar Point was a guilty pleasure of mine for a short time. 

• Like 2

Can I out someone else's guilty pleasure...that there is only guilt on my end? My nephew now loves Firehawk more than any other ride. We rode it together 2 times yesterday, 3 times today and he did one solo ride. I rode it more in one weekend than I did the last two seasons combined. Where did I go wrong?

Mine? Wild Mouse coasters shouldn't make me giggle so much and give me such a flip in the stomach at each turn. But it does and I love it.

• Like 4

I wouldn't say I feel /guilty/ exactly but... My husband has told me "if I beat you up as much as The Beast, you'd leave me!" I do often get bruises, etc, but I just can't stop loving that ride!

Or have him arrested. :D

Awesome line, glad I wasn't drinking anything, It would've been all over my computer screen.

• Like 2

Darien Lake's Mind Eraser isn't too bad either. However, there's a clone just a few hours northwest of there that may just be the worst coaster I've ever ridden. It's a toss-up between that coaster and the one right next to it...

Wait, so other versions aren't as bad as that one to Mind Eraser's northwest??? I've been skipping them from my dislike of that one... And nothing is worse than the one that stands beside it...

I don't feel guilty about doing things I enjoy, certainly not riding roller coasters.  For instance, many claim that Gatekeeper is just totally boring and lame.  I enjoy it.  Because they don't, the lines are shorter for me.  :)

• Like 9

I agree. It's something along the lines of what Clint Eastwood said after the infamous chair speech when a reporter asked him how he felt about the reaction it got. He said something along the lines of, "When you get to be my age you stop giving a %#&^ what other people think about you."

Sums up my view, precisely, and I'm nowhere near his age.

• Like 7

Dave Grohl is one who really made me stop believing in such things. He's a sharp guy and I believe he is correct in many of his views. I'd post a link to several of his quotes and interviews if it weren't for certain adjectives he uses. If you're interested search for it, but be warned, it's not safe language.

• Like 1