Roller Coaster Guilty Pleasures

CoasterDirected

I agree with some sentiments expressed here. I've been on other message boards with people complaining about Millennium Force being boring. I still like it and if they find it boring, hopefully they won't be in line, making it shorter for me.

I say do what you like because life is too short to worry about what others think.

Kinda like movies. I don't pay any attention to reviews. If I think it will be interesting, I'll go find out for  myself.

• Like 7

I love that I get to share these rides with my son now and honestly,  I forgot how fun the old flat rides can be. We went to Camden Park and I just love the Whip, the Tilt-A-Whirl, the Scrambler, The Paratrooper, The Little Dipper, The Big Dipper, and The Camden Princess. I showed him how to get the cars spinning on the Tilt-A-Whirl faster.

We had a fun round of miniature golf as well. We ate pizza, had a frozen lemonade, and I took him to the Sugar Shop. I was totally surprised that he only wanted to buy one thing in there. I figured I would go broke there. :lol:

• Like 4

I've been on other message boards with people complaining about Millennium Force being boring.

At first I read that as Millennium Falcon, and I was like "what the ****, man?" But then I realized what you actually wrote. :P

Carry on. :)

• Like 4

I love that I get to share these rides with my son now and honestly,  I forgot how fun the old flat rides can be. We went to Camden Park and I just love the Whip, the Tilt-A-Whirl, the Scrambler, The Paratrooper, The Little Dipper, The Big Dipper, and The Camden Princess. I showed him how to get the cars spinning on the Tilt-A-Whirl faster.

We had a fun round of miniature golf as well. We ate pizza, had a frozen lemonade, and I took him to the Sugar Shop. I was totally surprised that he only wanted to buy one thing in there. I figured I would go broke there. :lol:

Camden Park's Whip ride is an absolute gem. It's easy to become jaded toward small parks when you live so close to the likes of KI and Cedar Point, but in my humble opinion, Camden Park is not to be missed. I wasn't blown away by everything there (despite what their website says about accepting credit cards, bring cash. Trust me.) but Big Dipper is an absolute blast (especially in the back... er, second to last seat... er, whatever you want to consider it) and their Whip is second to none. And great people. Had a great chat with the nice young lady working the cash register at CP Outfitters (she noticed The Vortex shirt I was wearing and commented that it was her favorite coaster, and I advised her to try riding in 7-1 next time she's in the area). Haunted House is also a great ride, and is not to be missed as it may not be long before it's the last of its kind to be in operation.

• Like 3

^The Camden Haunted House should also be considered a coaster, that thing is exciting.

I consider it to be one.

You board a vehicle, and are then hoisted up a hill by a chain lift. Then, following a track, you make your way back to where you started using only gravity to power your vehicle.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter because no matter how you slice it, the ride is great. But in my humble opinion, it's a coaster. And if I were in charge at Camden Park, I would market it as such. But that's just me.

• Like 4

I don't feel guilty about doing things I enjoy, certainly not riding roller coasters.  For instance, many claim that Gatekeeper is just totally boring and lame.  I enjoy it.  Because they don't, the lines are shorter for me.   :)

Its not exactly guilty pleasures, even though I titled it that, but more of you like it but can't explain it for any good reason per say

• Like 2

The Racer at KI.

It may not be the tallest, fastest, or longest coaster in the park but I love it. More than I should.

I don't really mind bumpiness. It may not be steel, but that doesn't exactly change my outlook on it.

• Like 2

I hate to tell you all...but I am an open person.

Me and my buddies had season passes to Wyandot Lake back in high school. We would get kicked out of everything and every ride. Throwing inter tubes off the slides where it happened to go over the parking lot (I still chuckle about that, some poor sap having to go retrieve four inter tubes way out in the parking lot...lulz...I mean that's deplorable behavorior lads), having penny battles on the Scrambler. But I secretly love the Sea Dragon. The Sea Dragon happened to be surrounded by a lazy river called Kanoochie Creek. We would hit the first turnaround hill while riding the Sea Dragon and launch ice cubes down at the people drifting in the lazy river. I would never condone such things and feel bad now...but we were youths. That's dumb, funny crap.

Nobody "like" this as its something that is frowned upon...but it was a guilty pleasure when I knew no better.

• Like 5

Terp likes being unpredictable.

You learned and matured. That's what matters.

In high school, Terp had a whitewall with a combover. Hated it. The school had dress code litigation over, among other things, long hair on boys. My dad shocked the kids...with a large donation for attorney fees. I was raised to respect nonconformity--within limits.

• Like 6

No guilty pleasures exactly, I like what I like, it's been that way.

However I will say for a few times at some parks riding childrens rides have been way too fun for no reason. Take Sir Rub A Dub's Tubs at Cedar Point. Why was that so fun exactly?

Cause you love flume rides bro. I loved those Tubs as well. But I accept loving water rides and flumes as long as they are not soaking, smelly waters.

• Like 2

Lastly for the night, triple post and all their wonders,

Remember when the fairgrounds had a Bozo the clown dunk tanks? The white-faced, skinny clown that would sling insane, over the top, sexist, racist, way over the top insults at passerbys? That was one of my favorite guilty pleasures in the 80s. Our society got way too sensitive to crap like that. I miss the rude dunk tank clown more than most things concerning parks and rides and fairs.

Hell, for that matter...where the hell are dunk tanks...man?

• Like 4

Local festivals have them fairly often, still. Local high school principals, etc, are very popular as the dunkees.

Trying to remember if there was one at last year's Brookville (Ohio) Community Picnic.

I'm a bit of a festival junkie because of a specific type of carnival gambling I love. The Wizard of Oz coin pushers at KI are the closest I've found to a good quarter-dozer trailer. I go to a lot of festivals hoping for a good quarter-dozer.

• Like 4

You talking about the quarter bulldozer games? I love those magenta. I'll stop at every Catholic gambler fair there is.for those.its addicting. So is the spinning money wheel to double ones dollar...or five dollars. Im retiring soon off both games. Not the games themselves...but from the winnings.

Not really however.

• Like 3

I'm talking about these:

http://midwaymarketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/awpcp/dozers-trailer-1-large.jpg

I used to have a pic on my phone of a close up of the playing field when it was about to pay off big, but I had to delete it for space. I think I have it on my computer but can't access it at the moment. If I find it I'll post it.

I kind of swore last year at the Brookville Community Picnic that I wasn't going to play it as much this year (just a couple hours before the fireworks Saturday night, rather than all afternoon and evening Friday and all day Saturday) after the operator was extremely rude to me (we had previously been on quite friendly terms, I don't know what she was going through but she definitely was different). I don't think my resolve will hold out when the time comes around. Until she was so rude to me, I had been actually following her game the previous few years to a couple of other festivals in the fall which are an hour or more drive for me.

I love that game. I almost never leave with more money than I started with, but I get hours of entertainment out of playing. It's way cheaper than the movies when I consider cost/time.

Edit: found the pic7ef0ed39d257bb579f8dc2d0e778ae97.jpg

That's actually only the left half of the playing field, the chute for the quarters is on the right side of the pic.

Looking at it makes my fingers tingle, wanting to play! :)

• Like 3

I like those games myself. Maybe not as much as you...but they are fun, and hard to find around anymore. I like the ones that you pictured, with little chotskies to collect. I don't like the old game room ones that dealt out plastic tokens however to redeem. Give me monies man.

• Like 2

Sorry to continue hijacking the thread, but yeah, they are getting really hard to find, and it makes me crazy. I've been to a great number of festivals within an hour drive of me, and it has dwindled down to the one woman I mentioned, at least as far as I've found. There used to be a different trailer/operator at the Miamisburg Spring Fling (where I often left with more money than I started!) but it hasn't been there the last three or so years.

Playing the quarter game and visiting different festivals searching for quarter games used to be the highlights of my summers, before I got my season pass to Kings Island last year.

I haven't found any other kind of gambling I enjoy anywhere near as much. If they had them in Vegas, I'd probably have spent a lot more money than I did.

• Like 1

I'm with you on that Magenta...I don't enjoy gambling at ALL....unless there is funsies involved. They have several of these old school contraptions at the Saint Cecilia fair here in Columbus on the west side around late summer. That's the only time I get to enjoy them anymore. If and when I remember to go catholic that year. All quarters too...no funny crap.

I'll throw a quarter or two into the machine or two in salute of your shaking hands if I make it this year. Maybe I'll knock off a dollar fiftie in doing so. :). Off the edge I mean.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I know Scrambler isn't a roller coaster, but I have a guilty pleasure on that ride, as I found out yesterday (June 5). Since I normally ride by myself (and in turn have the whole seat to myself), I have found it fun to try to slide back to the middle of my seat during the ride only to be "flung" to the side again. Boy, do I appreciate good ol' centripetal force or else rides like Scrambler wouldn't be as fun as they are meant to be! :P

As for roller coasters, I like making the absolute most of the hang time in Vortex's corkscrews by relaxing my entire body, which of course causes me to come up out of the seat a little as it "hangs" against the shoulder harness. I take great pleasure in that moment of "floating."

...I have a huge appreciation for gravity. :wub:

• Like 4