Kings Island Lockers...

steelydan

Out of all of the times I’ve visited Kings Island, I’ve never rented a locker. This is because almost every time I’ve visited there was someone who did not want to ride and was kind enough to watch our things. However in the up-coming days I plan on visiting with a group of thrill-seekers and I’d like to know how everything works.

For example:

o   What are your locker options: size, time, etc?

o   Pricing

o   In your opinion: Where is the best location for lockers?

And any other information you believe may be useful.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I like up front, because they provide USB chargers in some of the lockers. I rented a small one for 16.00 for all day and there larger ones for more. You type in a pass code and this gives you access all day for the set price. It takes cash or credit card. Call the park for the prices on the different size lockers. I do not like the ones in back by Banshee. It charges per use and you can get charged more if you are over the time limit. I have heard that lockers in that area if you pay cash and are past the time limit. Please confirm this with the park since I only heard this from other guests in the park. 

• Like 3

Out of all of the times I’ve visited Kings Island, I’ve never rented a locker. This is because almost every time I’ve visited there was someone who did not want to ride and was kind enough to watch our things. However in the up-coming days I plan on visiting with a group of thrill-seekers and I’d like to know how everything works.

For example:

o   What are your locker options: size, time, etc?

o   Pricing

o   In your opinion: Where is the best location for lockers?

And any other information you believe may be useful.

Thanks!

Everything will depend on what you will be taking. Look at what you will need and won't need. If you just want to take money, keys and cell phone, get shorts or pants that have zip up pockets. Don't use the hourly lockers. Don't use the Soak City lockers either unless you plan to go to the waterpark as they will close at a certain time, and you won't be able to get to them. The front of the park lockers are better. As Dieseltech said, your trunk is good too.

The best priced Locker at KI is the trunk of ones car.

This. Get a good pair of cargo shorts, preferably with zipper pockets (you can add zippers with a little sewing machine work), and carry nothing but a small wallet, your keys, and maybe your phone. Unless you have a medical condition that forces you to carry extra equipment, that's all you should need; if you're carrying a backpack or a bag of any kind, then you're carrying too much stuff.

• Like 5

Well we’re going with our school’s music department. Therefore we will be taking busses there. It’s not that we’re incapable of leaving our things on the bus, but I would feel better about renting out a locker.

Yes, I could drive myself there but our tickets are discounted if we go through with the school corp.

Perhaps, I’ll just pack lightly?

~

But for anyone who’s rented a locker before, are the “small” lockers decently sized? Enough to fit maybe a bag, and a few other loose articles? 

• Like 3

Is it a full-sized backpack or one of those little drawstring bags? The latter probably could easily fit in a small locker with a couple of cups. The former would depend on how full it is and how much you can compress it.

Yes, I could drive myself there but our tickets are discounted if we go through with the school corp.

Is this discount greater than the cost of a locker (which I'll note is $14, not $16, if you don't need phone charging capability)?

• Like 2

Is it a full-sized backpack or one of those little drawstring bags? The latter probably could easily fit in a small locker with a couple of cups. The former would depend on how full it is and how much you can compress it.

Is this discount greater than the cost of a locker (which I'll note is $14, not $16, if you don't need phone charging capability)?

It’s closer to a draw-string bag, than a full-sized. I’m starting to think it would be better to just rid of the backpack, haha.

However, yes, the discount is more than the price of a locker.

• Like 3

How much is the discount? Sorry, but I'm a bit perplexed as to how you would save over $14 off the online ticket price of $41.99 Mon-Thurs/$44.99 Fri-Sun. I would think the school, even at group rates, would have to lose money on the deal to offer you that deep of a discount. :)

• Like 1

How much is the discount? Sorry, but I'm a bit perplexed as to how you would save over $14 off the online ticket price of $41.99 Mon-Thurs/$44.99 Fri-Sun. I would think the school, even at group rates, would have to lose money on the deal to offer you that deep of a discount. :)

Oh, my apologies. I thought that the tickets were more expensive than that for some reason. I bought mine for $32. 

• Like 1

Well, if you already bought the ticket, then it's apparently a done deal. However, check with your school as to whether they'll let you drive to the park separately, or if you're required to ride the bus. If they'll allow you to drive separately, the cost of gas might be less than the cost of the locker (especially so if you have a few friends that are willing to ride with you and split the gas in return for using your car as a locker).

• Like 2

Well, her profile says she's 18, AKA an adult, so I didn't think too much about being school age.

And how does friends splitting the cost of gas on a road trip turn it into a vehicle for hire (which I would interpret as charging a fee with the intent of profiting, as with a taxi)?

I like up front, because they provide USB chargers in some of the lockers. I rented a small one for 16.00 for all day and there larger ones for more. You type in a pass code and this gives you access all day for the set price. It takes cash or credit card. Call the park for the prices on the different size lockers. I do not like the ones in back by Banshee. It charges per use and you can get charged more if you are over the time limit. I have heard that lockers in that area if you pay cash and are past the time limit. Please confirm this with the park since I only heard this from other guests in the park. 

The lockers by Banshee, Firehawk and Whitewater Canyon are not pay per use. For a small locker, it's $2 for the first two hours and $2 per hour after that. I believe the large lockers cost twice that, but I'm not sure.

• Like 3

I'd be ever-so-much happier with lockers if they a) used biometrics ala Universal and Disney rather than a code, and B) they were free for a short time while you rode the ride ala Universal and Disney but available for longer rental if you wished. I know it's gravy money, but the system is very insecure as we already know, and for all the 'souvenir cups are the best value' statements it's a PIA to carry them and have to deal with them to ride your favorite rides. It just really hurts the park experience for me.

• Like 7

Ultimately, what was said toward the beginning is true.

Unless you're carrying something for medical reasons or have a child with you, you should be able to reasonably fit everything you need in pockets. A wallet (really only needing cash / card, ID, and ticket) and a phone if you need one. A carabiner with keys or a single key in your pockets.

In other words, if you bring a book bag, you're going to pay. Literally and figuratively. Nothing's more frustrating than watching crowds of people rush into a queue while you fiddle with a locker. Carefully examine what's in that book bag and ask yourself if it has to come with you into the park. If not, then you probably don't need it at all. Just a thought!

• Like 6

Luckily, my phase of having to carry a bag for my medical issues ended just before the lockers became a big time thing at Kings Island.  The 3 rides I needed lockers for (at the time) were WindSeeker (before it had bins but that didn't last long), Firehawk and Flight of Fear, so I adjusted my day to ride those 3 at the same time so I only needed to use a locker once.  I had everything I needed in plastic bags in the main bag so I could carry it on WWC.  

I wouldn't say I felt frustrated by doing that.  I taught myself to be very patient about what I was going through and I knew it came with my decision to still go to Kings Island with those issues.  It was a very big deal for me to start deciding not to bring a bag.  I now only take one when I visit Soak City.  

However, since Banshee requires their use, I'd probably be a bit peeved at that.  Its one of my favorite coasters and I usually try to get on it 3-4 separate times each visit since I can't stand more than 2-3 rides in a row on it at a time.  That would be a big hassle if I still found use for a bag.   

• Like 3

If Terpy has taught me anything,( it's much more than this), it's that you don't need to pack everything you own into the park. If it won't fit in my zippered pocket on my cargo shorts, I don't really need it. I do however lament the day I can go without my phone. My dad is 90, he is the only reason I still carry it into the park. 

• Like 6