Poor, Poor Monster

BoddaH1994

I'm assuming another, hey lets wait until the season starts before taking a down a ride for a major overhaul, like we had with SRR.

To be fair I remember seeing this ride having portions of it blocked off at various times the last couple seasons. Most likely suffered another break down of some sort and the park decided it should just be redone.

Tending to the multiple other rides in time for a complete season so they can focus on one major job with less distraction makes sense.

• Like 16

Ouch. Poor Monster. I really hope this is just a repair, and that is actually gets done. What would worry me is having already seen one of the Spider rides go (Paul Revere's Midnight Ride @ Holiday World) though that was a slightly different model. Monster is MUCH older too though, so I wonder if replacement parts exist.

If it does go, not sure what could take Monster's place. A Tilt-A-Whirl or something?

• Like 4

I'm assuming another, hey lets wait until the season starts before taking a down a ride for a major overhaul, like we had with SRR.

To be fair I remember seeing this ride having portions of it blocked off at various times the last couple seasons. Most likely suffered another break down of some sort and the park decided it should just be redone.

Tending to the multiple other rides in time for a complete season so they can focus on one major job with less distraction makes sense.

The flat rides need major overhauls. That's one of the things a big themepark never really invests in. Even though i never ride the flats, it's nice to see them redone.

• Like 3

Yea I'm hoping it's just a major overhaul. Maybe they are going to slowly do them all and give them more detailed refurb and add new lighting packages. Coney Mall could look amazing in a few years if that is the case. Hopefully this would include some chaser lights along Racer's run along the midway

• Like 9

Monster is a fantastic Kings Island ride - it's incredibly accommodating (if you're less than 46" you just have to ride with an adult), it's an original park ride, and it looks beautiful at night. And although I'd be sad to see it go, I half wonder if it'd be wiser for the park to replace it with a similar flat ride.

Italian manufacturer Emiliana Luna Park offers a ride model called the "Polyp Ride". It's similar to Monster, but has five arms instead of six. Although it seats eight less riders (40 versus 48), it can load all its arms at once (versus Monster being limited to just two at a time) and therefore probably has a much higher hourly capacity. The cars also appear much easier to load and unload, versus Monster's cumbersome pod design.

https://youtu.be/xWkpKYMVJEE?t=49s

Once again, it'd be sad to see an original park ride removed. But the more I look at this alternative, the more appealing it seems. Has anyone ever ridden one of these Polyp Rides and able to share how it compares to an Eyerly Monster?

• Like 3

Hopefully so upstop.

The Monster is one of those classics that I hope will never change for historical nostalgia for the park. Hopefully it will be back in the coming weeks.

• Like 7

I love Monster. This is without a doubt one of my alltime favorite classic flat rides. There is just something about the idea of riding a piece of history that makes the park feel more like home. A familiar old friend. Not to mention, I enjoy all the little quirky things about this old guy. All the sounds it makes, the insanely intricate looking mechanics that go into it ( and considering how old tihs ride is just makes it that much more impressive to me ), and oddly enough-the smell. The ride experience is always fun with nice little pops of airtime and not to mention a great way to cool off on a hot day with a nice breeze ( also a good way to get a little sun when you're stuck at the top while the other arms are unloading )

So moral of the story is, I hope whatever they are doing ultimately leads to the rides return to service. A trip to the park isn't fullfilled for me without a spin on Monster.

• Like 11