Poor, Poor Monster

BoddaH1994

I doubt we'll see any major overhaul of Monster this season. It looks like it's just a motor replacement, in which case it'll probably be back up and running within the next few weeks, depending on how long it takes to get the necessary parts and such.

• Like 1

Most likely they have removed the tubs so that equipment can easily reach the motor without damaging them. From Subway, you can see that most of the motor housing is exposed. I really do hope it gets a lighting package upgrade though ... As a matter of fact...wouldn't it be cool if Scrambler and Zephyr were to get a lighting package too... Maybe all the flats at KI will eventually get lighting packages....

• Like 6

According to a photo I saw on Facebook today (posted by a friend of mine), the arms have now been removed in addition to the cars. One person commenting on the photo said that he spoke with Don during ERT last night about it; that person said that Don said it would be back open "within a couple months", but with "no specific time frame" (quotes are the words of the commenter).

• Like 9

^Yea, I agree with the black paintjob

I really like the colors of Cedar Point's Monster, but, JMO, I think the black keeps with the traditional feel of the older amusement park

feeling that Coney Mall has. 

I love nostalgia. Guess i'm getting old.

• Like 7

To me, it's not so much the color but the quality.

The black looks like it was slopped on there by a bunch of teenagers with brushes and cans of paint with instructions to cover it all. I would prefer a nice sprayed finish with a good coat of clear on top. A secondary color would also look nice to help contrast the black.

The lights......not even sure what those are we currently have.

Somebody previously mentioned "bug lights"......lol, that's pretty accurate.

• Like 5

I love the Monster- Ii's hard to get men to ride it, though.

I'm not saying that this is the reason the carts are off, but the way it's built, all that molded fiberglass, there's a piece of hardware within the monster car that's very difficult to get to, and hard to inspect.

If that piece of hardware breaks due to age, it wouldn't be a mere stall, it would be truly disastrous. All the cars off all at once looks like they may be tending to things before it goes bad.

Also; they just might be redoing the lights to be more update and easier to maintain.

• Like 4

To me, it's not so much the color but the quality.

The black looks like it was slopped on there by a bunch of teenagers with brushes and cans of paint with instructions to cover it all. I would prefer a nice sprayed finish with a good coat of clear on top. A secondary color would also look nice to help contrast the black.

The lights......not even sure what those are we currently have.

Somebody previously mentioned "bug lights"......lol, that's pretty accurate.

Yea, I agree with that, a good paint job goes along way.

I once seen a guy paint his pickup, with a 3 cans of spraypaint, in an hours time. He thought it was it was the best looking thing on the road.

He was the only one......

Some time and good old-fashioned elbow grease makes all the differance in the world. 

• Like 4

Impossible to get in America Edison style light bulbs.

I'm starting to see a pattern with these renovations.

As to the hand painted pickup - I love those, but not for myself. I love them because if the owner of the truck is that oblivious to detail, he's advertising that he's the one to avoid on the road.

• Like 3

Most likely they have removed the tubs so that equipment can easily reach the motor without damaging them. From Subway, you can see that most of the motor housing is exposed. I really do hope it gets a lighting package upgrade though ... As a matter of fact...wouldn't it be cool if Scrambler and Zephyr were to get a lighting package too... Maybe all the flats at KI will eventually get lighting packages....

Last I saw Zypher does have the newer LED lights.

• Like 2

It's interesting to note that this is not the first time that Monster has been "removed" during a season. From 1981...

mzrcN5j.jpg

I reverse image searched the picture to give credit, but it appears the original site is now gone. But this picture was also posted a couple years back in this thread, where there were then arguments on whether our current Monster is the original Monster. I've heard it was replaced by a different one around this time, but I've never been able to prove/disprove that claim.

• Like 10

Unless you hoarded light bulbs before they were phased out, just like I may have done...

You and I both! I do art for a living. With the new style bulbs, I might as well use an oil lamp for lighting. I somewhat value the ability to see what I'm working on.

• Like 3

I was at the park on Tuesday and it appeared to seem that they were bringing pieces back to the ride to potentially reassemble? Maybe they just needed to get a few replacement parts to fix whatever was wrong.

• Like 1

Try the new D shaped Slim Style LED lighting from Philips. Get the daylight version. You won't be disappointed. Home Depot has them.

So, something like this.  Added benefits over CFL include no mercury and a plastic (shatterproof) outer shell.  A lot of LED bulbs, including the IKEA ones I'm using, are still glass.  They're fully dimmable but sadly only come in 40W and 60W equivalent; no 100W.

• Like 1

I'm starting to see a pattern with these renovations.

As to the hand painted pickup - I love those, but not for myself. I love them because if the owner of the truck is that oblivious to detail, he's advertising that he's the one to avoid on the road.

Yes, This guy's driving skill was just as good as his painting skills.

The same guy wanted me to install a lexan late model spoiler (off one of our old race cars) on the top of the tailgate 

of the same truck. Said it would keep the rear of the truck on the ground at 90 mph

I was scared every time he pulled out of his driveway. :ph34r:

• Like 5

Get some LED bulbs.  They're so energy efficient that you can feel okay using the lights.   :)

Maybe.  But the cost is REALLY going to need to come down so that the savings are realized.  I can buy a 75W flood light for around $4-5 for outside.  An equivalent LED bulb is north of $25.  I'd feel much better about making the environment greener if some of that meant more green stayed in my virtual wallet.

• Like 2

Last I saw Zypher does have the newer LED lights.

Hmmm....I'll have to check it out next time I'm there.