Poor, Poor Monster

BoddaH1994

Get some LED bulbs. They're so energy efficient that you can feel okay using the lights. :)

Maybe. But the cost is REALLY going to need to come down so that the savings are realized. I can buy a 75W flood light for around $4-5 for

outside. An equivalent LED bulb is north of $25. I'd feel much better about making the environment greener if some of that meant more green stayed in my virtual wallet.

But, the energy savings and far less frequent bulb replacement quickly pay for the bulb...

• Like 4

Most likely they have removed the tubs so that equipment can easily reach the motor without damaging them. From Subway, you can see that most of the motor housing is exposed. I really do hope it gets a lighting package upgrade though ... As a matter of fact...wouldn't it be cool if Scrambler and Zephyr were to get a lighting package too... Maybe all the flats at KI will eventually get lighting packages....

Last I saw Zypher does have the newer LED lights.

Hmmm....I'll have to check it out next time I'm there.

Zephyr has had LED lights for a couple years to my knowledge. Same with the carousel for the most part.

• Like 1

Get some LED bulbs.  They're so energy efficient that you can feel okay using the lights.   :)

Maybe.  But the cost is REALLY going to need to come down so that the savings are realized.  I can buy a 75W flood light for around $4-5 for outside.  An equivalent LED bulb is north of $25.  I'd feel much better about making the environment greener if some of that meant more green stayed in my virtual wallet.

Not gonna happen. Much like how eating healthy costs twice what not eating healthy does. The powers that be aren't stupid and know every trick to maximizing their bank accounts.

The trick to saving incandescent light bulbs from burning out is investing in LUTRON Maestro Dimmers. Since burnt out light bulbs are generally caused by the filament expanding or contracting too fast when switching the light on or off, these dimmers slowly dim on and slowly dim off your lights.

For reference, I installed two of these dimmers into my family room of 14 recessed cans (all incandescent, 65 watt), and I've only had to change 2 bulbs in the 5 years they've been installed.

LED's also, in my experience, dim over time. Since it's slow, it goes unnoticed; unless you compare it right next to a brand new LED.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Hmmm. Hopefully it will ALSO be back in action next season. B)

Grit your teeth,

Bear the Load,

Enjoy your Ride...

Hopefully ALL the rides are. Especially The Racer...
Has The Racer not been working?

Grit your teeth,

Bear the Load,

Enjoy your Ride...

Thunder Road (The Racer's younger sister at Carowinds) is being removed for "future additions."
  • Like 1

Grit your teeth,

Bear the Load,

Enjoy your Ride...

Thunder Road (The Racer's younger sister at Carowinds) is being removed for "future additions."
Oh, whew... I got worried I wouldn't be able to ride The Racer on Sunday.

I wonder if they'll try to turn Thunder Road into something similar to Twisted Colossus.

Edit: but I digress...

Hope Monster will be back to normal soon!

• Like 1

Things aren't forever is an absolutely true statement, but I will say when it's day comes, they had better darn well have a very great replacement, or very good reason to remove it. I did relinquish buying my Cedar Fair pass for a few years after Geauga Lake was abruptly shut down, I wouldn't have any issue to do it again

• Like 1

It is true that rides don't last forever, however wooden roller coasters have been known to last longer than steel coasters. There are coasters from the 1920's that still operate, Cyclone at Coney Island in Brooklyn, NY is an example. Structure and track can be replaced or repared when they start going through fatigue. When a steel coaster gets metal fatigue, thats it. Many mechanical elements on wood coasters could be replaced by ones from a modern manufacturer of wooden coasters, such as GCI, while steel rides have to close because replacement parts are difficult to find once it's manufacturer becomes defunct, such as King Cobra once TOGO went bankrupt.

Usually a wooden coaster might close because of dwindling popularity, or in some cases it could be an unsafe structure. The Racer, despite not being as popular as The Beast, still got a very large line this past Friday when I went, and I rarely ever see a train leave the station with an empty seat, unless it's a slow day or a passanger is riding alone. I don't see why removing it would be an option because its one of the main reasons why the park became so popular and it pays tribute to the Shooting Star from beloved Coney Island.

But back on topic with the Monster, I've always wondered how the park gets replacement parts for it, because Eyerly Aircraft Company doesn't make rides anymore, at least I don't believe they do.

• Like 5

When I was there Friday, it was the same state it was at Coasterstock: its arms are off and sitting neatly within the fences, and the cars are lined up behind.

I could swear I heard someone ask Don about it and he said it would be back (and, I believe, this season), but I can't remember when I heard it, if it was at The Beast tour on Friday or sometime earlier (possibly Coasterstock).

• Like 3

Please explain metal fatigue to me.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/british/metal-fatigue

Metal fatigue is a form of weakness, resulting from constant use. In the case of a steel coaster, and wooden ones alike, track and supports move; this movement can be seen on Diamondback from the Rivertown midway or on Vortex from The Beast's loading platform. However the constant swaying, wobbling and bouncing of the structure can cause weakness, and in most cases tearing and ripping of the metal.

• Like 3

And yet, if such structures as roller coasters were designed to be perfectly rigid, they would likely experience even more metal fatigue.

Keep in mind that if a ride is not permitted to bend and sway, it will ultimately snap.  Why?  Metal fatigue.

Then there's Vortex shedding as occurred on Cedar Point's VertiGo, but that's another story.

• Like 2

Please explain metal fatigue to me.

Ask Camden Park.

Spider.

Ironically.

See also Holiday World.

One park acted in time. The other....didn't.

As a newbie to this world I find myself googling after almost all of your posts it seems terp. Haha. That isn't a complaint either just to make sure I didn't come across as whining.

• Like 6

^ When I was in line for Invertigo yesterday, I noticed one of the supports sway after the train went through the loop.

On the benches across from the Rivertown Fries shop, (it's a smoking area, be warned)' you can watch the support of the Diamondback shake to bejesus. It's not dangerous. If it were brittle, THAT would be dangerous.

• Like 7

Anyone know the latest on Monster? Today was my first time back at the park in almost 2 weeks and I didn't get time to venture over to Coney Mall to see what was going on

Baby Crawford coming 2016!

• Like 1