Theme parks turning aging coasters into new thrill rides

I think it was a fantastic idea for Mantis/Rougarou. The ride can have a whole new life and become popular again now.

And then there's some things that would be better left as is. Beast & Racer being two of them.

Really depends on the ride.

• Like 10

To be the devil's advocate, I submit that the Coney Island Cyclone is not today the ride it was 20 years ago, much less 50.

I daresay the same is at least equally true of Racer--in that the 2015 ride is not the 1972 experience. In 1972, the trains had no individually ratcheting restraints, no seat dividers, no headrests, no hard polyurethane foam, no seat belts...the coaster had manually controlled skid brakes, the track was oiled...

• Like 10

It was also a heck of a lot nicer to look at.

And that makes for a different experience. 

I seriously think Coney Mall has more potential than just about any other Kings Island area. The whole thing deserves the '60s  / '70s vibe Gemini Midway makeover, with retro patterns, streamlined facades, popcorn lights, groovy music... and it all begins with Racer.

• Like 12

Because of The Racer's historic value in bringing back the roller coaster, which made it earn its status as an ACE landmark, I would love to see it restored. New wood track in some areas, and a fresh coat of paint can make all the difference.

Would be nice but your have to add hills back in and remove a set of cars from each train. The Beast is way different than it used to be. Only used to be a buz bar with no padding and head rest and skid breaks. If you went on a day that it rained you used to get a wild ride. Today I don't see that happening.

• Like 3

Those are all true factors. It is agreeable and understandable why the fifth car shouldn't be removed, because it was added to increase capacity as a result of the rides popularity. The only major change to the trackage was the removal of the final dip before the brake run into the station.

To be the devil's advocate, I submit that the Coney Island Cyclone is not today the ride it was 20 years ago, much less 50.

I daresay the same is at least equally true of Racer--in that the 2015 ride is not the 1972 experience. In 1972, the trains had no individually ratcheting restraints, no seat dividers, no headrests, no hard polyurethane foam, no seat belts...the coaster had manually controlled skid brakes, the track was oiled...

Don't forget..... Racer had an extra drop that was removed from both sides during the Paramount years...

Took the words out of my mouth.. er fingers....

Because of The Racer's historic value in bringing back the roller coaster, which made it earn its status as an ACE landmark, I would love to see it restored. New wood track in some areas, and a fresh coat of paint can make all the difference.

Would be nice but your have to add hills back in and remove a set of cars from each train. The Beast is way different than it used to be. Only used to be a buz bar with no padding and head rest and skid breaks. If you went on a day that it rained you used to get a wild ride. Today I don't see that happening.

The Skid brakes were a wonderful time for coasters.   I didnt know the track was oiled....

Now why did the cars go from soft foam to the hard foam... I just assumed it was age not on purpose..... (Shark, old enough to remember softer foam, skid brakes, and maybe no seat dividers on The Beast but never remembers a time without individual ratcheting lap bars (I think)...)

• Like 2

I was thinking on the subject and realized that this is not a wholly new phenomenon. Kennywood was doing this long before, and the results in both cases have been well recieved. How ever I do not agree with making wooden coaster steel, that is too much change.

• Like 1