Photo Ops on Rides

KatieF

Last summer, I went to KI and was surprised that I really couldn't find many working photo ops. I'm a little more chicken and haven't ridden some of the big coasters like Banshee and Diamondback yet, but I figured at least that The Beast would have a camera. I know I've seen a photo of my friends on Backlot Stunt Coaster a few years ago. I'm returning next weekend and was curious where are the working photo ops on the rides? 

• Like 3

Last summer, I went to KI and was surprised that I really couldn't find many working photo ops. I'm a little more chicken and haven't ridden some of the big coasters like Banshee and Diamondback yet, but I figured at least that The Beast would have a camera. I know I've seen a photo of my friends on Backlot Stunt Coaster a few years ago. I'm returning next weekend and was curious where are the working photo ops on the rides? 

Beast has a camera at the first tunnel. The only 3 coasters that do not not have cameras are Invertigo, Racers and The Bat.

• Like 1

Flight of Fear's and Boo Blaster's photo booths were removed before the 2014 season began.

I believe Backlot Stunt Coaster hasn't had on-ride cameras since its days as Italian Job: Stunt Track.

The only rides with on-ride cameras left are:

• Firehawk
  • Diamondback
  • Banshee
  • Vortex
  • The Beast
  • Woodstock Express
  • The Great Pumpkin Coaster
  • Race For Your Life Charlie Brown
  • Like 4

Aw, man...this kind of bums me out! I had actually wanted my picture on The Beast but the last few times I've been-- the booth has been closed. 

EDIT:

Out of curiosity, why do they generally take cameras off on rides? Do they just get old and they don't want to replace them? 

Probably when pictures aren't selling well enough on those rides to justify staffing the booth. Same reason the booths are sometimes closed.

Very true. It makes sense on rides like The Bat and Adventure Express.  But I could never quite figure out why The Beast's booth would be closed. The last few times I've been there, the amount of guests in line was insane. Seems like somebody would want a picture. 

I was also feeling the same way about BLSC, but then I realized that the line for that's probably long due to it's slow loading time. 

I feel like they should never have taken BLSC's on-ride photos out, simply because maybe after waiting so long for such a low copacity yet themed ride, one would want to go buy an on-ride photo.  

Idk, it just seems to me that BLSC could do plenty of sales had it kept its photo booth.

Italian Job, defending his user name.

• Like 3

I feel like they should never have taken BLSC's on-ride photos out, simply because maybe after waiting so long for such a low copacity yet themed ride, one would want to go buy an on-ride photo.  

Idk, it just seems to me that BLSC could do plenty of sales had it kept its photo booth.

I completely agree. The ride is ALWAYS crowded when I've been there. I never considered it being low capacity until I joined the forum,  but it's a great ride for families and coaster lovers. There's a few different spots in the ride where I can picture it being a great photo op.

Just curious, where was Backlot's on-ride camera?

What sucks is when you wait in a long line and after all that the camera did not work. This meant standing in another 90 min line. No thank you.

That's happened to me the last two times I've been to the park on The Beast. I could see them closing the booth the first time because I had went on a big school day, but the last time was at the end of June. Seemed pretty silly to me to have the camera's off.

Sling Shot and Xtreme Skyfyer have video cameras. You can purchase videos of your rides.

...when they're working. I've seen both of them down multiple times before.

Speaking of which, that's a reason that any ride's on-ride photo booth might be closed on a busy day: technical problems with the camera. It's certainly not a common occurrence, but it can and does happen.

• Like 3

Sling Shot and Xtreme Skyfyer have video cameras. You can purchase videos of your rides.

...when they're working. I've seen both of them down multiple times before.

Speaking of which, that's a reason that any ride's on-ride photo booth might be closed on a busy day: technical problems with the camera. It's certainly not a common occurrence, but it can and does happen.

Oh,  I have no doubt. Especially after seeing some of the upkeep on some rides and areas in the park. 

Do White Water Canyon or Congo Falls have cameras?

No, they do not. Not to mention that it would be impossible on White Water Canyon due to the fact that riders face in different directions and the boats can freely rotate to any orientation, so no fixed camera could possibly capture a photo guaranteed to have the riders' faces.

• Like 2

Do White Water Canyon or Congo Falls have cameras?

No, they do not. Not to mention that it would be impossible on White Water Canyon due to the fact that riders face in different directions and the boats can freely rotate to any orientation, so no fixed camera could possibly capture a photo guaranteed to have the riders' faces.

Unless you put a wireless waterproof camera for each seat in the center of each 'vehicle'.

While cool, wildly cost prohibitive.

• Like 1

I saw a sign at one of the booths this weekend about unlimited  photos from any of the 8 rides for the same day.  I did not purchase it, but I think for the price of 3 photos at the regular price the day pass would be totally worth it.     

• Like 1

As I'm sure Terpy knows, all of the cameras and the wireless access points for Banshee's attempt at an on-ride video system were removed.  The network wiring with associated conduit and junction boxes remain, however.  From the load side facing the queue, there's an AP for KIGuestWiFi on the far left corner that reused one of these ports.

This has been your random park trivia for the day.

• Like 3