Flight of Fear questions

Seafire

Going to KI on Wednesday and I'm going to ride FoF first.

1. Is it rough or bumpy?

2. At what speed does it take off?

3. Can you see at all in it?

4. Seat recommendations?

5. Do you think it is good or bad?

• Like 2

1. Its a very jerky ride no matter what seat you are in. Bumpy, no, as long as you put your restraint all the way down and leave no gap.

2. 54mph

3. From outside you can only see the building, from inside the actual building it depends if they have lights on or off. I've ridden it where I could see the entire track, I've ridden it when I can see partials of the ride, and I've ridden it in complete darkness.

4, Very front seat

5. I ride it only once now each time I visit the park, its still a fun ride.

• Like 3

Going to KI on Wednesday and I'm going to ride FoF first.

1. Is it rough or bumpy? - Slightly jerky but not overly rough or bumpy.

2. At what speed does it take off? - 55 MPH

3. Can you see at all in it? - Some although it was mighty dark last week.

4. Seat recommendations? - Very back seat on the right.

5. Do you think it is good or bad? - Still a great ride.  It was a ground breaking ride and still the most under rated coaster at KI.

Welcome to Kings Island Central!

To answer your questions:

1. It's not smooth like Diamondback or Banshee, but it's not rough like Vortex or Adventure Express.
  2. Its top speed is 54 mph. Its launch is also instantaneous, unlike the other launcher in the park, Backlot, which has a more gradual speed increase.
  3. For a normal ride-through, even with your eyes being somewhat adjusted to the low-light environments of the queue/station, it's fairly difficult to see in the actual ride building. Like Cody said, sometimes they'll have the entire interior lit up with work lights, and other times they'll have it pitch black, which makes it even more terrifying given how tightly compacted the coaster is.
  4. For maximum scariness, take the front left seat for an unobstructed view of...nothingness. The left seat is ideal because when you hit the mid-course brake run, that downward turn after the brake makes you feel like you're about to fall out of your seat.
  5. Still to this day one of my most favorite coaster experiences. I've ridden it probably 300+ times.
  • Like 5

Just a note that the massive amount of bold text on this page is likely caused by unclosed formatting tags in the OP's signature. She needs to check and ensure that every open tag is closed by a corresponding close tag (a close tag is the same as an open tag, except with a forward slash between the left bracket and the name of the tag), and that tags are closed in the exact reverse of the order they are opened.

Welcome to KIC, and know that everyone is entitled to a massive screw-up every now and then, because nobody's perfect. :)

• Like 3

Just a note that the massive amount of bold text on this page is likely caused by unclosed formatting tags in the OP's signature. She needs to check and ensure that every open tag is closed by a corresponding close tag (a close tag is the same as an open tag, except with a forward slash between the left bracket and the name of the tag), and that tags are closed in the exact reverse of the order they are opened.

Welcome to KIC, and know that everyone is entitled to a massive screw-up every now and then, because nobody's perfect. :)

You would think that by the latest update, in 2015, IP.Board would automatically parse posts and signatures to verify that all tags are closed as needed, but alas.

• Like 1

It's got what some affectionately call "the Premier rattle" that many rides by that coaster's manufacturer - Premier Rides - have in common. It's sort of a vibration (probably due to the launch mechanism) that feels very similar to Backlot Stunt Coaster. When BLSC pulls up into the over-banked turn and slaloms before the "subway stairs," it feels a lot like Flight of Fear. 

It's smooth like a steel coaster, but it does snap through some elements and inversions. However, there are no over-the-shoulder restraints (like Banshee), so you won't slam your head against anything. 

The launch sounds worse than it is, so don't freak out when you see it blast out the station while you wait.

It's easily one of my top 10 coasters if and only if the interior show lights are on. I've only been once this year, and it was in pitch black darkness. Personally, I think that defeats the purpose. Inside of the large show building, the track and supports are coiled and knotted and it's truly ridiculously cool looking. Sometimes (at least, in past seasons?) the ride building is lit with purple and red floodlights angled in all directions that allow you to see how crazy the track looks while also being very disorienting for the ride's first 10 seconds, during which you really can't tell if you're upside down or not. To me, riding in the pitch black darkness is kind of a let down.

Have the theatrical lights (NOT the overhead work lights) been on at all this season? Or have we degraded to the point that it's either pitch black or full work lights on?  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

I have not been on the ride this year with lights on.

Have you been to SFA or SFFT? They have outdoor versions of Flight of Fear (Joker's Jinx and Poltergeist). They do not have mid course brake. You may really like those. They look somewhat like Borg Spheres for you Star Trek fans.

• Like 4

Is it true that in the front seat you can sometimes see a little of the track in front of you?

If it's pitch black, no.

If the colored floodlights are on, yes. However, you wouldn't want to spend your time trying to figure out what's about to happen. Like Space Mountain, half the fun is that you don't know exactly what's coming.

Only about the first 15 seconds of the ride is really *wild.* For those first 15 seconds, you very sincerely can't tell if you're upside down or not. After that, it's got a more predictable layout - just twists and dips and slaloming to build the giant knot shape. Then, halfway through, it reaches the midcourse brakes and comes to an almost complete stop. From there, it gathers speed slowly, but mostly slaloms along the ground before going through a final corkscrew. 

To follow up on what Rustbucket said, Six Flags (and a park in China) bought clones of the ride and built it without a building around it, so there are outdoor versions of the ride in the US and China. If you really want to spoil the experience, you can see photos of the outdoor version here, and a video here. If you've ridden Rock 'N Roller Coaster at Disney's Hollywood Studios, you've ridden Vekoma's version of Premier's Flight of Fear layout.

• Like 4

I've ridden twice this season. The first of which it was pitch black and the second time the floodlights were on. Something I miss is the music! I think it is still playing but at a much lower volume. I miss hanging on that mcbr and the music blaring!

• Like 2

^

I had the same exact experience. Went early in the day and it had no lights on at all, the next time I rode in the afternoon the lights were on. Personally I like the ride with no lights on, kinda gives the ride more of an uncontrolled aspect to it kinda like The Beast at night.

• Like 2

I'm not a fan of this ride. I wasn't a fan 20 years ago when it was themed as Outer Limits, but I dislike it less now.

Back then it had over the shoulder restraints and the quick transitions turned your head into a speed bag and you left with sore ears and a headache.

I rode it again a few weeks ago and probably will never ride it again. The car and/or restraints were extremely uncomfortable for me, to the degree of really wanting to get out of the car rather than enjoying the ride.

To each their own, though, I know several people do enjoy this ride (as evidenced by the posts above).

• Like 4

• 2 years later...

I'm sure this has been answered on another topic, but why did they ever get rid of the Ride photo booth for Flight of Fear? With the addition of fun pics, I would love to pose a funny face or terrified look on my face just for jokes and giggles. At least they could put up a kiosk where you could scan your pass if you have fun pics and that way they don't have to worry about an empty once was photo stand. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shawn Meyer said:

I'm sure this has been answered on another topic, but why did they ever get rid of the Ride photo booth for Flight of Fear? With the addition of fun pics, I would love to pose a funny face or terrified look on my face just for jokes and giggles. At least they could put up a kiosk where you could scan your pass if you have fun pics and that way they don't have to worry about an empty once was photo stand. 

My guess is because not enough people were buying the photos. It disappeared a while before FunPix was a thing. I wouldn't be surprised if they removed the camera and reused it for Banshee or Mystic Timbers to save a little money; if so, they might not have a camera available to install there. The same could apply to Firehawk's camera.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As a seasoned rider of Flight of Fear, I feel I can add a few points to this conversation. I rode it the year it opened when it was Outer Limits: Flight of Fear. The hangar used to be so full of people. I was excited to ride it as this was the first LIM launched coaster. After getting my first lap with the OTSR's, this was fun, but at the same time, a very head banging experience (not in a good way like a metal concert haha). However, when the OTSR's were removed and replaced by a lap bar, this made for a much more comfortable ride. Having been on it several times over the years, I learned from other enthusiasts that once the wheels are worn to a certain degree, the ride becomes noticeably rougher. So that definitely is something will affect your ride. However, even with having been on FOF with worn wheels, it's still not as rough a ride as The Vortex. I sincerely love this coaster as it is very disorienting and there are a lot of directional changes, which can be slightly jerky, but nothing like Adventure Express. One of my favorite parts is right at the end. I'm not going to spoil it for you, but just when you think it's over, FOF throws one last thrill at you. Enjoy!

• Like 1

Last time I rode FoF at Coasterstock, it trimmed fairly lightly on the MCBR. Not the near-stop it used to do.

Also, if you're larger or taller, and FoF crushes your legs, do not sit in odd numbered rows. The even rows are more accommodating in my experience.

I do find FoF to be the best-themed coaster at a CF park. Sadly, the "outer limits" (of course with that phrase cut out for copyright reasons) phrase at the very end, along with, sometimes, the alien taunts in the station, are cut off by ride operator spiels. I've only heard the unload platform alien voice at Coasterstock.

FoF does have some areas where the theming is lax, though. The brake run are seems a bit ugly, and the unload platform is very bare compared to the heavily themed queue and station. The music in the brake run - and, if possible, the "spaghetti bowl" itself - also should be a bit louder. The ride has a great soundtrack but it's not very audible. But it's definitely improved recently, with the restoration of audio effects, the queue, and the ride's soundtrack. They just need to make the audio a bit more audible - AKA, don't have the operator cover up the alien voice in the unload platform! (And also, the third train would be nice :P)