Carowinds' Thunder Road to race no more

Carowinds just made a huge mistake, investing millions with GCI to fix a classic only to tear it down... shameful.

Yeah, that's the part that perplexes me. That the park would spend such a large sum of money to refurbish a coaster, ensuring guests could continue to enjoy it for many more years... and then demolish it.

I'm sure the Soak City expansion will be great and feature a nice collection of family-friendly attractions, but it's still sad to see an older coaster like Thunder Road go.

• Like 5

Sad, for sure, to see a classic removed. Hopefully a worthy replacement is part of the park's expansion plans. I do wonder how this decision will be viewed 5 years from now.

With this announcement, I definitely plan to take my first visit before the ride's closing weekend.

• Like 4

There was once a boat, an island, a plantation house.

And Terp once adored Coney Island of Ohio...it was the grandest amusement park he had ever seen. Shooting Star, Lost River...

Most of all, for him...Rolling Thinder...

Thinder? Is that a clue or a typo? :P

Rolling Tinder! :P

To remain on-topic, I have to say that this news scares me. A lot.

• Like 2

Yikes- this worries me because it does show Cedar Fair will remove classic attractions if they feel they are in the way of future projects or park expansion. And there are a handful of members of the GP who don't see the value in keeping these classic wooden rides (usually they are also the ones who want giant steel coasters instead every year). Though looking at the comment responses to those FB posts, MOST of the GP seems ENRAGED. Whizzer @ SFGam was saved by fan outrage, and Thunder Road is still standing for now, so this may not be set in stone but I'm not sure if it'll be enough. Cedar Fair will go where the money tells them though, and if they see enough money in keeping Thunder Road, they may do it.

This also makes me think about the future of Racer @ Kings Island, and the other coasters possibly on the chopping block. Racer might be OK since Flight of Fear and Firehawk being behind it already put Racer in a spot that really can't be used for much else but it may still end up cut at some point (for simply saving on ride upkeep) if its popularity gets too low. Coney Mall without Racer would feel very, very weird. Another big option is Vortex- a very different type of ride, but it is old and I noticed its ridership has been going down every year since 2012. It's the one I worry may get cut next to make room for a new roller coaster around 2019. The Bat did just get a re-theme, but it was a light one (a lot of old TOP GUN & Flight Deck stuff remains) and King Cobra was removed shortly after a new paintjob as well but one thing in its favor is its location isn't very prime for a major attraction and its ride type is known to be rare now. I hope all 3 stay but these are the major coasters I could see being removed within the next 5-10 years or so. I would hate it if it happens to ANY of them.

One other thing I did just remember though- Thunder Road was once painted and had its paintjob stripped off, and it rotted badly afterwards. Could this have negatively affected its lifespan compared to its "sister" coasters, Racer & Rebel Yell? I honestly wonder, but don't know...

Also I nearly called Thunder Road Rolling Thunder several times while posting this. Both were classic wooden racing coasters with similar names. One is already gone- and now the other may get the same fate. Sad and ironic at the same time.

• Like 13

Not to be the naysayer here... But Cedar Fair doesn't make impulse purchases. Things are planned out well in advance. And if whatever CF is planning absolutely cannot be done without the removal of Thunder Road, then I hate to say it, but the ride's fate is likely quite sealed, no matter how much the fans lament it.

Also remember that rides are machines and machines have a life expectancy. There's no easy decision to remove a ride (well, MAYBE Son of Beast...) because there will ALWAYS be backlash. No matter what you decide to remove, you're removing SOMEBODY'S favorite ride. So let this be a reminder that nothing lasts forever, and sit upright, hold on tight, and enjoy EVERY round on all of your favorite rides.

I know that my beloved Vortex won't last forever. The day its removal is announced, I will probably cry myself to sleep that night (and I'm being quite serious). But I know it's coming, so I ride the heck out of it now while I can and enjoy every moment of it like it's the last ride I'll have.

• Like 13

Well, looking at Carowinds on Google Maps, the removal of Thunder Road will open up a HUGE section of land to expand on- though I question why they can't just do like Racer & Rebel Yell do and "tunnel" through Thunder Road. Here's an image I made from Google Maps with sections highlighted- blue is the current waterpark, and the red is possible expansion area (Thunder Road is in between these 2). They may not use all of it, depending on if they want to save some parking lot or use the section where the trees are:

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy10/McSalsa/Carowinds%20Googlemaps%20Expansion_zpsauixa3kr.png~original

That's at least DOUBLE the waterpark size, which if all used would create one heck of a GIANT waterpark that would put even Spashin' Safari and Schiltterbahn (hope I spelled that right) to shame. Though I don't think they will and some of that will probably also be used for the dry park or stay parking lot. Thinking about it, if I recall, Cedar Fair under Matt Ouimet has stated they would be interested in building on-site hotels for their parks if they hand the funds. With Carowinds obviously being seen as a hotspot for growth, they may be wanting to add one.

I also feel if Thunder Road does go, Carowinds next big coaster after Fury 325 should be a wooden coaster- most likely GCI given they seem to be Cedar Fair's go-to. With only Hurler and the kids coaster, their wooden lineup doesn't look so good.

• Like 3

I've never been to Carowinds, do they have a hotel on property?  I thought a hotel, or a revamping of a hotel if one current exists, was part of the $50 mil package presented to the state(s) for funding.  Expanding the water park, could lead to including an indoor water park as part of a new hotel on the property, allowing guests to use it during the colder fall/spring seasons before the outdoor park is open.  A new hotel would cost a lot of money, and will chew up most of that $50 mil investment.

• Like 2

Well the picture McSalsa threw up there does show that the ride does not trully run on the state border as it once was said to do....

Sad day for a coaster for sure...

Here are some quick positives for the KID wooden coasters though.... Racer already has three spots where the structure was changed to allow people to walk under it (FoF area, old Days of Thunder theater,  and the Dino's Alive area), so if future park expansion were to happen over there, at least the coaster would appear to be saved....  As for The Beast, it uses terrain that would cost a pretty penny to level and then use.  Woodstock Express, maybe might be in the way of a future expansion....  So at least the rides wouldnt be torn down because of expansion....

I wonder if the results of the rebuild were not what was wanted by the company and then this decision to go forth with future plans was the back up plan...

• Like 5

Here are some quick positives for the KID wooden coasters though.... Racer already has three spots where the structure was changed to allow people to walk under it (FoF area, old Days of Thunder theater,  and the Dino's Alive area), so if future park expansion were to happen over there, at least the coaster would appear to be saved.... 

What's to stop them from doing the same with Thunder Road?  I highly doubt that it would cost that much.  It does sound more like they decided it wasn't worth it.  Whether it's because the ride is noisy, a visual barrier, or not providing desirable ROI from the retracking, only the park knows.

• Like 1

When the cost of maintenance of ANY attraction exceeds the perceived value it brings to the park- this will happen.  

As it pertains to The Racer... It may happen all the time, but I'm not sure when the last time I saw both trains operating on a consistent basis was.  Not saying it's in jeopardy- but the paint job has seen better days.  I was called everything but a heretic when I suggested that SOB could be removed.  With Banshee I can't recall the last time SOB was mentioned.  

Things are removed for park improvement- something the CF management in the last 5 years has done well.  In Carowinds case, I agree with 'Terp- better days are in the works.  

• Like 4

Who knows if it's just this ride being removed? There is quite a small parking lot by comparison next door that they could expand out to. The turnaround on the ride alone is enough for a second wave pool if they went the route of KI Soak City upgrades. 

There is alot of land to be used, and who knows for what yet. New slide complexes, new childrens adventure areas, cabanas, eateries to compliment the waterpark. This upgrade could be quite expansive. Given that they're willing to remove a somewhat freshly retracked classic wooden roller coaster for this should show the magnitude of the plans for season 2016 and beyond regarding that area of the park. This probably wasn't a light decision to be made if this is indeed for the waterpark. 

There is the very small slightly skeptical approach that Cedar Fair finally buys an RMC, which if that happens will cause a massive outrage from me for sure, and I'd assume many others as well. That's a very SIX thing to do, and they've already done that enough the past few years.

If Carowinds wanted to replace Thunder Road with a GCI, then they would remove the Hurler. Also with that logic, Cedar Fair would have replaced Mean Streak at Cedar Point a long time ago with a simple GCI. 

Why not a GCI racing coaster?  

Lightning Racer 2.0 anyone?

• Like 1

I have a theory as to what's going to happen. Let it be known that I have absolutely no insider information - this is 100% a complete and total guess on my part based solely on conjecture and observations of trends. That said, I still want to post it, if for no other reason than so that I can have a timestamp and gloat about being first if it ends up being true (even though a timestamp does a fat lot of good on a forum where posts are editable - but I digress). Do not take this as scripture or use it as the springboard for a rumor (looking at you, Screamscape!) as it is a total guess like I said. And if I'm wrong, that's cool, too.

My personal belief is that we're going to see a waterpark expansion for Carowinds. Now, what would be the most economical means to do this? To use rides and attractions that you already own, of course. There is one glaring elephant in the Cedar Fair portfolio - one property that is unlike any of the others. One, and only one, standalone waterpark. That would be Wildwater Kingdom (of the Geauga Lake variety, not the Dorney variety). I could see Cedar Fair finally closing this property down. It is kind of the oddball among their parks, and frankly, their list of attractions doesn't really appear to be on par even with the attached waterparks at most of their dry parks. There are three attractions at Wildwater Kingdom that appear to be movable: Thunder Falls, Liquid Lightning, and Splash Landing (a slide complex, Proslide Tornado, and childrens' play area, respectively). Any waterpark can always use an extra slide complex or childrens' play area, and as for the Proslide Tornado, Carowinds doesn't have one, and those are a popular attraction at every waterpark I've seen that has one. I see all three of these making their way to Carowinds and the last remaining vestige of what was once the largest amusement park in the world finally being closed down for good.

Now, where does that leave Thunder Road? Why remove it rather than build a path under it? Well of course, there could be maintenance reasons for its removal, but even if there is no issue whatsoever with maintenance or ridership, I see one big thing that eats up a lot of land. Precious land if Carowinds wants to expand the waterpark. The straightaways don't have a huge footprint, and you could reasonably just build a path below and be done with it, just like what happened at KI with Racer. However, the turnarounds DO take up space. Quite a lot of it, in fact. Coincidentally, just about enough to throw a Proslide Tornado down precisely where they sit. By removing Thunder Road, you free up enough land that you can install a Proslide Tornado and a slide complex without taking away any parking, which is something of a precious resource in their lot - especially after losing quite a bit of it to Fury. That lot can get filled. On Good Friday, it very nearly did (I saw it in person, almost completely full before noon). If this were all true, it would bring an additional eight slides to the waterpark at Carowinds. That's a large number. Talk about "making a splash".

As I said, this is a complete and total guess. But I don't think it's too far-fetched. Widwater Kingdom has received such a spectacular lack of attention in the last several years that it's almost comical. In fact, want a good chuckle? Go to their website (which is http://www.wildwaterfun.com in case you don't know) on a desktop and hover over the "What's New" header on their menu... The park is clearly an afterthought, to put it kindly. Their social media presence is nearly nonexistant. They are the only Cedar Fair property that did not receive one of the stylized skyline images that can be seen on the Cedar Fair corporate website. They are, as mentioned before, an elephant in the room. And for locals to the former Geauga Lake market, a market to which two of my closest friends belonged, the very existence of that waterpark is a painful reminder of what once was. I really think its days are numbered, and I think Carowinds is going to be the park to reap the benefits.

I don't know if my theory holds any water at all. It may be exactly what's happening, or it could be that I couldn't be farther from the truth. But I've made my guess. Let's see what happens. If the park has decided to remove an ostensibly popular ride, they must have very, very good reasons. I'm sure after all is said and done, Carowinds visitors won't be disappointed. And on the bright side, Rebel Yell is more or less an identical ride, and it's only a hop, a skip, and a jump away.

Also - a side note. I'd be willing to bet money that a waterpark expansion would also be paired with a rebranding of the waterpark to the Soak City brand seen at other parks. The Wildwater Kingdom trademark is also currently less than a year away from its renewal deadline. I could also see a rebranding of the Dorney Park waterpark for the 2016 season because of this. I don't know much about trademarks, but it seems that a year is a bit too close to the renewal deadline for comfort if the trademark is intended to see continued use. But again, I may be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time and God-willing, it won't be the last.

• Like 10

For what it's worth, part of a plan for demolition and waterpark expansion has been filed with one of the park's counties. See the Carowinds Connection forum; it was quickly posted to the Thunder Road thread there.

If Aurora's Wildwater Kingdom were to close, Cedar Point's Soak City could also be seen as a possible destination for attractions. Much of that park is woefully outdated.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from our first ever visit to Carowinds.  Except for the lift hill of Intimidator and Fury 325, Thunder Road was the first glimpse of structure letting us know we made it to the park.  I was surprised to see the coaster at the intersection.  We got to ride Thunder Road multiple times during our 2.5 day visit.  Unfortunately they did not have both sides running simultaneously but we did get to ride both sides.  We both enjoyed the ride very much.  The last hop on the SC side is a bit rough.  I liked that the 2nd hill was not as tall as say The Racer so the train was able to keep speed and the turnaround hill was the taller hill.  During our visit while riding Afterburn and Thunder Road, the parking lot near Thunder Road was completely empty.  They must be using the new gate as the primary lot and will reclaim the parking lot and Thunder Road to allow expansion of the Water Park.  It makes sense but sad to see that Thunder Road has to go.  Carowinds is a very nice park, and hope to visit again sometime.

• Like 6