Carowinds' Thunder Road to race no more

There are things I answer here.

There are things I don't.

I know what I know because I am a strong proponent for the industry.

When it comes to things like this, it's "Don't ask, don't tell, don't pursue."

Also be advised plans change. If they didn't sometimes, Kings Island would have at least five more wood coasters than it does now. The Rye Aeroplane. Sigh....

Ok, as a huge wood coaster fan you've got me thinking. If you are able to disclose what the 5 are that'd be great.

Off the top of my head...

1. Rye Aeroplane instead of SOB

2. Hurler instead of SOB

• Like 2

I think Hurler was supposed to be in the spot where the Antique Cars were? I could be wrong.

Jeff Gramke said at Coasterstock that there were plans to add a wooden coaster in the location that Diamondback currently occupies. I could be remembering this wrong, but I think he said Paramount bought the park while it was being planned and put a stop to it. (I was more interested in the fact that it was to be designed using John Allen's recommendations/rules of thumb that had been used to design Beast... Oh, the possibilities.)

• Like 7

Very sad to see it go tonight. I don't have the memories that many here do, only having visited for the first time last weekend, but it is one of the more fun wooden coasters that I have ridden. Well-maintained until the end, too.

• Like 9

Decided to see if Carowinds has commented since they're being inundated with unhappy people who don't want Thunder Road to go and aren't buying Carowinds' thing about "sorry to see it go" because after all, it's their choice.

dsudH5L.png

XKLe4Xj.png

While it's nice to see them try, it comes off as a bit tone deaf. "We're glad you all liked Thunder Road but we're going to tear it down anyway! We liked it a lot too so please don't hate us!"

This is one of those times it's better to say nothing at all.

• Like 9

I think Hurler was supposed to be in the spot where the Antique Cars were? I could be wrong.

Jeff Gramke said at Coasterstock that there were plans to add a wooden coaster in the location that Diamondback currently occupies. I could be remembering this wrong, but I think he said Paramount bought the park while it was being planned and put a stop to it. (I was more interested in the fact that it was to be designed using John Allen's recommendations/rules of thumb that had been used to design Beast... Oh, the possibilities.)

It was my understanding that his coaster was designed and ready to go, but the sale was from Paramount Parks to Cedar Fair and they put the brakes on the project, most likely because of the level of debt the new chain shouldered.  Fast forward two years and we have Diamondback announced.  I'd really like to see this coaster that was lost to history get revived.

• Like 3

Fortunately we got to visit Carowinds in early June and got a handful of rides on Thunder Road.  I really enjoyed the ride even though we have The Racer in our backyard.  Since it was our first visit and not really being a water park guy, I did not pay close attention to the needs of water park expansion.  I guess is it unfortunate that Carowinds created the water park so close to Thunder Road thinking they would not have the need to expand it.  Every park should have their monster woodie (Racer, Rebel Yell, El toro, Voyage, argueably Meanstreak, etc) and Carowinds is choosing to remove theirs to benefit the water park audience.  Hurler is the only adult wooden coaster at Carowinds.  Do they plan or deserve the right to build another wooden coaster in their park, probably not in both cases, IMO.  You can only have so many B&M's.

Hopefully they will dismantle it with some dignity rather than a wrecking ball.  Is all that wood going to scrap or can it be saved for use on Hurler and WE?  Any chance of a relocate?  Is that economically possible with a wooden coaster?

• Like 1

So long Thunder Road; I only had one ride on ya back in 2001 and I only rode forwards because I was too scared to try backwards. I don't remember much about the ride, only that your claim to fame was that you crossed two states. But now, your state has become like that of a ride that was now ironically in the same park you were (for those who don't know, Stealth at (then) Paramount's Great America was removed for expansion of the waterpark as well). And now you're gone. I know some both remember you and miss you much, much more than I, and it will be weird not seeing you on the skyline like I remember that one time looking out from my hotel window at the park, but we'll survive, just like we always do. When King Cobra was removed, I was saddened, but I came to accept the loss and I really love Delirium. And I'm sure we'll love what's next for Carowinds. And Kings Dominion. And Six Flags Discovery Kingdom. Sadly, time marches on. So long, Thunder Road. 

-MDMC, waxing poetic about a now lost giant among coasters 

EDIT: PS: Sentimentality aside, I do find it odd that a racing coaster was removed as those are pretty unique.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

A coaster profile I follow on Instragram seems to have found a "leak" of the new water park expansion. If it happens to be true I am going to be so disappointed. What an awful reason to take out a coaster (2 actually). Absolutely terrible.

Another wave pool, snake pit clone, kiddie splash pad.

\

* I also see this was posted in the other thread but a more detailed version. Whoops. 

• Like 1