Carowinds' Thunder Road to race no more

I was so shocked when I saw the plans for the water park expansion. Thunder Road was such a classic coaster that will never be built again, and nothing was wrong with it. Hopefully if I go to Carowinds for an hour Friday morning, and see Thunder Road one last time. :( I'm going to miss it so much. I got to ride it 25 times, 3 of those times in a row. 

Here's the plans for the water park expansion apparently 

Overall plan: LINK

Slide complex: LINK
Wave pool: LINK
Play structure: LINK

• Like 4

Thunder Road is pretty much just a big pile o' wood now. All that remains are the station, lifthills, turnarounds, and hills leading up to the turnarounds. Apparently the official reason it's coming down is because the lift hill and other spots needed to be retracked but the ride was not popular enough to warrant repairs. It's a sad time in Carowinds' history.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I was so shocked when I saw the plans for the water park expansion. Thunder Road was such a classic coaster that will never be built again, and nothing was wrong with it. Hopefully if I go to Carowinds for an hour Friday morning, and see Thunder Road one last time. :( I'm going to miss it so much. I got to ride it 25 times, 3 of those times in a row.

Here's the plans for the water park expansion apparently

Overall plan: LINK

Slide complex: LINK

Wave pool: LINK

Play structure: LINK

Sorry for double posting but please note Paramount Parks on that plan board for the overall. (Maybe Paramount has been Cedar Fair all along?!)

• Like 2

Paramount Parks Inc still exists as a subsidiary of Cedar Fair named "Cedar Fair Southwest, Inc" and is still the corporate parent of Carowinds. Many of the individual parks have been transferred to their own entities, such as "Kings Island Company".

It just might be that the Coaster had not had great upkerp.

Let's face facts parks plan a few years out.

Thunder Road was well-maintained until the end.

• Like 6

I am only going to say this one time.....

Anything that requires "millions of dollars" worth of work at one time when a brand new version would cost $7 million is not well maintain not properly maintained. The rebuilds that Carowinds did were not the result of years of proper maintenance. Thunder Road was stripped of it's paint in the mid 90s and it was only recently that they started to use waterseal on the structure. I really hate to speak ill of Carowinds but maintenance is cheaper than restoration(rebuilding) of a structure, has Racer had LARGE sections of it's structure torn down to the footers and rebuilt?

• Like 4

Still tremendously sad.

This would be like Lagoon deciding to take down the Roller Coaster for me. Every enthusiast has their coaster, and for those who like Thunder Road, this is devastating. 

Lucky, Roller Coaster extends into the parking lot and is nowhere near the water park. (It's also well maintained and a source of pride)

• Like 3