Surf Dog (Pleasantly Surprised)

thedaveyboyshow

I was fortunate enough to have "discovered" the Surf Dog ride during my visit to Kings Island on Sunday.  I was in line for Invertigo with some friends, we somehow got talking with the couple in front of us.  They highly recommended taking some time to venture over to Planet Snoopy and take in a ride on Surf Dog.  We were highly skeptical; however, decided to go for it.  Man-oh-man am I glad we got in on that conversation.  Surprisingly, Row 6 on the far side of the ride during the fireworks on Sunday night was a memory I will cherish for a very long time.  This ride is fantastic. I would highly recommend a journey over to Planet Snoopy and catch a ride! 

11180333_10205368661828254_1149642872279

• Like 11

I rode SD for the first time last year and loved it! I was a little worried because sometimes I get nauseous on things that spin, but it was really pleasant. I also enjoyed getting to ride with kids because it was pretty funny to see their reactions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

I rode SD for the first time last year and loved it! I was a little worried because sometimes I get nauseous on things that spin, but it was really pleasant. I also enjoyed getting to ride with kids because it was pretty funny to see their reactions.

Yes!  The reactions of the kids is priceless...kind of makes me think back to my more innocent days when things were more spectacular.  Such a fun ride. 

• Like 3

I usually only ride it on days when I've decided to ride all of the coasters at the park, but it is a surprisingly enjoyable little ride. I would ride it more often except its line doesn't move very fast, and I feel like I'm looked upon a little suspiciously being a lone middle aged woman riding what many consider a "kiddy" ride.

That's actually one of my big annoyances that the Gliders were put in Planet Snoopy too. It's more of a family ride, but its location makes people think otherwise. And the music over there... :-|

• Like 7

I suppose that's just one of the sacrifices we have to make at Kings Island for having the best kids area in the world 14 years in a row...

Had the park not had that reputation, I'd be willing to bet some of the "family" rides would've been put elsewhere in the park (Race For Your Life, Flying Ace, Surf Dog, Woodstock Gliders to name a few).

• Like 7

I would ride it more often except its line doesn't move very fast, and I feel like I'm looked upon a little suspiciously being a lone middle aged woman riding what many consider a "kiddy" ride.

As the guy who had the entirety of Plankton's Plunge (now Kite-Eating Tree) to himself for two cycles after a storm the year it debuted because I had time to kill after I got off work, I feel your pain.

• Like 7

I suppose that's just one of the sacrifices we have to make at Kings Island for having the best kids area in the world 14 years in a row...

Had the park not had that reputation, I'd be willing to bet some of the "family" rides would've been put elsewhere in the park (Race For Your Life, Flying Ace, Surf Dog, Woodstock Gliders to name a few).

Though none of the rides mentioned have been relocated since being installed at Kings Island, one of them was once in Rivertown.

• Like 4

I would ride it more often except its line doesn't move very fast, and I feel like I'm looked upon a little suspiciously being a lone middle aged woman riding what many consider a "kiddy" ride.

As the guy who had the entirety of Plankton's Plunge (now Kite-Eating Tree) to himself for two cycles after a storm the year it debuted because I had time to kill after I got off work, I feel your pain.

And that ride has the worst load procedure of any ride I've ever seen! I feel for the ride op who has to figure out how to balance weight loads for each cycle.  I've grown a beard while waiting for that ride w my kids!

• Like 4

I don't think Surf Dog's load times are too bad, the one that seems like it takes forever and ever is the Kite Eating Tree, feels like they load you up, then it's re-arrange time, then it's re-arrange time, and so on.

EDIT: Disregard except that I agree with Gabe lol, thanks for pointing out my mistake Magenta :)

• Like 2

I agree with everyone. It is a great ride, finally rode it last year. Went with some friends last summer one weekend and it was one of the only rides we did twice.

And agree with you Magenta Lizard. Feel a little awkward at times waiting in line for the kids rides, especially when it's just me, but they are too much fun for me to care. Haven't gotten to get there yet for Woodstock's Glider's (first trip is planned for next weekend), but I think it will definley be an addition to my Planet Snoopy list of must rides with Surf Dog and RFYLCB

• Like 3

I usually only ride it on days when I've decided to ride all of the coasters at the park, but it is a surprisingly enjoyable little ride. I would ride it more often except its line doesn't move very fast, and I feel like I'm looked upon a little suspiciously being a lone middle aged woman riding what many consider a "kiddy" ride.

That's actually one of my big annoyances that the Gliders were put in Planet Snoopy too. It's more of a family ride, but its location makes people think otherwise. And the music over there... :-|

I agree with you 100% on this. When I ride by myself I feel like the parents' "creep alert" goes off in their head :blink:

• Like 3

It used to be apart of Rivertown and was Kings Mills Log Flume. This Flume came from Coney Island and was built by Arrow. The majority of the Flume was replaced in 2000 and reopened in 2001 as The Wildtornberry's River Adventure, then Cedar Fair renamed it Race For Your Life Charlie Brown in 2010.

• Like 4

I kind of like those purple hang gliders things (Linus Launchers?) over in that area too.  Big enough for adults and its like taking a time out to lay down for a minute and let them create a breeze for you to cool you off.  If only they would go a tad bit longer I bet I could take a nap!.

• Like 3

I kind of like those purple hang gliders things (Linus Launchers?) over in that area too.  Big enough for adults and its like taking a time out to lay down for a minute and let them create a breeze for you to cool you off.  If only they would go a tad bit longer I bet I could take a nap!.

Yes! I "discovered" those for the first time earlier this month. It's a fun ride. I've ridden them a few times now.

• Like 2

A few weeks ago I rode Kite Eating Tree without children. You get strange looks when you don't have children with you riding family rides.

Last night I rode Sally's Sea Plane with two KIC members and a Toad. The ride op was not humored by the fact 4 adults wanted to ride, but thought it was funny we had fun riding.

I frequently ride Woodstock Gliders and have been told it's a kids ride by a few people which it's not, again it's a family ride.

I love Surf Dog.

• Like 8

I've never tried this before! I may try and ride it on sunday!

• Like 4