CP trip advice

Hey guys! Long time no see.

So a couple friends and I are in the early planning stages for a trip to Cedar Point this July. The trip depends on a few different factors, and we need help deciding on what to do.

1. Will we need two days to cover all the "big" coasters, or does this depend on what time of the week we go?

2. If we do need to spend two days at the park, is there a good hotel that is relatively cheap? We would more than likely split the cost of the room(s) between all 7 of us.

3. Where can we find the cheapest tickets? Does CP offer 2 day passes?

Thanks in advance!

• Like 8

Welcome back!

1. That depends on crowds, weather/maintenance, your strategy of touring the park, and whether you buy Fast Lane. It's usually possible to get to all the major roller coasters on a weekday, especially if you arrange your day to avoid peak ride lines. (eg. don't get in line for Raptor in the morning.)

A two-day trip would give you more time to relax, get re-rides, see shows, and avoid feeling rushed. You could also avoid the late-night driving that a single day open-to-close trip from Cincinnati would entail.

2. There's a decent selection of inexpensive hotel rooms in the area. Some properties are best avoided. Most of my trips to Sandusky are day trips, so I'll let others give suggestions.

3. If some of you have season passes, each passholder can bring one friend per day for ~$40.

Meijer sells discount tickets; single day tickets in Columbus stores are ~$50 (or ~$52 with unlimited soft drinks). Two-day discount tickets are ~$85 if I recall correctly.

• Like 7

Breakers Express is reasonably priced, close to the park, you get early entry (can knock out at least three "big" rides then), and you get resort rate admission. If you have a gold pass, I believe you get a discount as well (use promo PASS).

As far as two days, maybe consider just a Starlight on one day, stay the night, and then do a full day the second day. Tuesdays and Wednesdays seem to be least crowded!

• Like 2

Hey guys! Long time no see.

So a couple friends and I are in the early planning stages for a trip to Cedar Point this July. The trip depends on a few different factors, and we need help deciding on what to do.

1. Will we need two days to cover all the "big" coasters, or does this depend on what time of the week we go?

2. If we do need to spend two days at the park, is there a good hotel that is relatively cheap? We would more than likely split the cost of the room(s) between all 7 of us.

Thanks in advance!

. CP is doable in one day, if you go on the weekdays. Just make sure when you start your day at the park go directly to Millenium Force and then Maverick Directly afterwards. ( they have the longest lines ) A good place to stay for relatively cheap is Maui Sands they have 6ppl rooms for as cheap as 120 dollars a night. It also has an indoor water park. The cheapest tickets I couldn't tell you I got mine for $45 dollars a piece for early season tickets but they expire in June. It would probably be beneficial if someone with a gold pass gets platinum to pay for their tickets and parking for the group.
  • Like 1

Breakers Express is reasonably priced, close to the park, you get early entry (can knock out at least three "big" rides then), and you get resort rate admission. If you have a gold pass, I believe you get a discount as well (use promo PASS).

As far as two days, maybe consider just a Starlight on one day, stay the night, and then do a full day the second day. Tuesdays and Wednesdays seem to be least crowded!

The Cedar Point resort discount perk is available to all platinum passholders and only to platinum passholders. Kings Island gold or silver passes are not recognized there, nor are Cedar Point season passes and anything else that isn't platinum.

• Like 3

That may well be but I'd call to confirm because it's listed on Cedar Point's site, even the reservation system, as a platinum rate. That rate also isn't supposed to include early entry or parking as it's included with a platinum pass.

Edit: I just double-checked on the reservation system.  For Hotel Breakers, it clearly lists "Pass - Platinum Pass Holder Rate" yet it shows "Rate valid with 2015 Platinum/Season Pass only" in the fine print.  Breakers Express just says "Pass - Season/Platinum Pass Rate".

Yay, inconsistencies on the site..

• Like 3

Look at the "places to stay" link on the CP website. Breakers Express would be reasonable during the week since there are so many of you splitting the cost. Benefits include Single day tickets at $39 or 2 day with free Soak City $76. Plus importantly, Early Entry which would allow you to knock out rides on MF and Maverick, then give you time to get in line for Dragster before park opens. After that, it should be easy to get everything else in. May have to wait till the evening for shorter Gatekeeper, Raptor and Rougarou lines though. It's doable in a day, but two days would be more fun, of course.

If you're going to stay at Breakers Express, you might need two rooms to comfortably accommodate 7 people which sort of negates the whole "discount" aspect of that property. A Lighthouse Point cabin can sleep 8 people and split 7 ways will cost $50/night. Its also a really awesome place to stay and you don't have to worry about parking.

• Like 1

^ The PASS discount code is advertised on Kings Island's passholder portal for KI gold passholders.

Staying at a CP resort would give you access to Early Entry and let you buy tickets at deeper discounts.

This is what I was referring to. Sandcastle Suites isn't priced too badly for the amount of space. You could easily fit all 7 in one room.

• Like 1

Thanks in advance!

1. Two days gives you time to knock out alot, and allow rerides. It is possible to knock out a whole park in a day for just coasters depending on crowds & whatnot, it's a hit & miss, but it can be done. Best bet is day one when you've got a good night sleep & a full day ready to go, ride alot and quickly. I usually will do a bunch of riding day one, and day 2 eat, do live e, do rerides, etc.

2. There's plenty of hotels/motels for every budget. Biggest thing is to look and make sure no large groups, events, holidays, etc. are happening. For instance see Coastermania. There's alot going on in Sandusky aside from a big enthusiast day at Cedar Point that weekend. Hotels are scarce considering, and if available at all, quite expensive. If you need to book away if prices are high Port Clinton is a bit away but usually reasonable, same for anything towards Huron. 

3. Tickets are usually cheapest online, there are local store deals, but consistently the cheap tickets are available online through the park with other combos.

Also, for other information, up to date answers, and a better fanbase for Cedar Point related info, I'd go check out Pointbuzz. Their new Q&A section should give great results. 

• Like 2

Me and my daughter just took a trip up last week, went up Memorial Day and came back

that Wednesday. We had no problems riding everything multiple time with no Fast Lane's.

Memorial Day was packed, and the longest we waited was an hour and fifteen minutes for Maverick.

The big problem was the wind. As much as I watched the weather, it was something I never gave any thought to.

Gatekeeper, Raptor, and Top Thrill Dragster were down all day Tuesday because of it.

Guest Relations said Gemini was down also, but was running when I made it to that side of the park.

I also highly recommend the tub of fries from Chickey and Pete's.

Hands down, they have the best fries I have ever eaten.

Enjoy yourself and be safe!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If you do stay off the peninsula but have tickets that allow early ride time, I would suggest requesting a park pass to park back by Soak City.  This allows you to enter at Magnum which is the closest entrance to Maverick.  We used to get lockers, now we simply go back to the car for whatever we used to store in the locker.  We usually get 4-6 rides on Maverick for ERT. We then make it to TTD by 10 to get a couple of those out of the way while the general public is still making their way into the park from the main gate.

Ride On!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I haven't been to Cedar Point since 2011.  I can't believe it's been that long!  We are going there for 3 days this week.   I have a few questions since it's been so long.

I read on I believe PointBuzz.com that Dragster does not start running until 11:00 am now.  Is this really true?

I read somewhere that Chick Filet is available on the daily meal deal, but I do not see it listed on the official list by Cedar Point.  So is Chick Filet available with the 29.99 daily meal deal?

How is Luminosity?  If you had to choose between that or beach blast which would you choose?

• Like 1

I returned from my 3 day trip from CP today. Today we enterered at the Millenium/Marina entrance. We were disappointed to get to MF and it wasn't running so we walked to Maverick. Great ride.

We ended up in line for Dragster around 940. It turns out right next to is in line was a great guy that worked IT for Cedar Fair and works in the offices there at CP. We had good conversation for an hour and a half as Dragster did not run until well after 11.

He did confirm that Chick Filet and Panda Express were added to the meal deal this year.

We rode front row together on the green train. He showed me how the ride launched. That was very interestinteresting to me.

He doesn't know what the 2016 new ride will be. It's kept from everyone. I see tonight there are leaked images. He was very intrigued about the labeling that was posted on the site about the track that was spotted in Batavia.

Entering the park today I noticed that the orange road dividers were pushed over to the left of the road lane paint inot what is normally oncoming traffic. I commented that it will be a busy day. I didn't realize how busy.

We left around 130 and all the parking was full and 3/4 of the parking in the right side was full too. Still though. On the road leading out it was a parking lot 3 lanes wide all the way to probably a 1/4 of a mile to the other side of the water. I said I'm glad we left. The population. In the park was about to double.

It was a fun 3 days glad we made the trip.

• Like 4