How does the restraint system work on the Firehawk?

Blackhole6670

Can you explain to me how the restraints work on the Firehawk? How do you put on the restraints? How much will your body move inside the restraints? How comfortable are the restraints? How comfortable are the seats? Can you hold on to the over the shoulder harness? Can people hold hands when on the ride?

• Like 2

I can't answer your question but will say that this ride always freaks me out. It's the only ride where I am constantly thinking about the restraints and safety systems. I've yet to ride it this year and have been to the park about ten times.

• Like 5

I can't answer your question but will say that this ride always freaks me out. It's the only ride where I am constantly thinking about the restraints and safety systems. I've yet to ride it this year and have been to the park about ten times.

The Firehawk has only seen me once.  I'll ride it again at some point.  Probably.  Maybe?  Nobody has fallen out yet, but it does not score high on my comfort rating scale.  It's obviously very safe.  The "shoulder harness" you mention is unlike any of the other rides.  Hold on all you want...it might not make you feel much better...lol.

• Like 4

The vest like restraints lock around you and a lap bar comes up. Not sure if you can hold hands, but can hold on to the seat/restraints. You are not tight in the seat and your body moves as you go from laying back to flipping over on your stomach. I can say that I think the restraints are comfortable.

• Like 2

Welcome!

Upon boarding the ride, you will sit down and slip your shoulders between and behind the vest, then buckle the two vest pieces together. The lap bar will be handled by the ride ops; they will check your vest, push the lap bar down, then press a button on the lap bar's "arm" to lock the vest and lap bar in place. (Note that it's one button per two seats, so the button they push might be on the seat next to you, not on yours.) Once that button is pressed, your lap bar will no longer move in either direction, while the vest can be pulled tighter but not loosened (via straps under your arms).

How much your body moves can vary; as a smaller person (5'6", 170-180 pounds), I feel like I have plenty of room to move, but without having so much that I feel like I'm going to fall out. Tighter restraints, of course, can reduce the amount of room, so if you'd rather have less room (and thus feel more secure), try asking the ride op to push the lap bar down an extra click or two (but make sure to ask before the lock button is pushed, after which it can't be tightened any further). You can also tighten the vest further (after being locked) by pushing back on the lower outside portion on each side.

I find that both the restraints and the seats are very comfortable. However, some say that sitting in them reminds them of being at the dentist's office, and thus hate the ride. :P

You COULD hold on to the harness, but it doesn't really have a handhold and thus can be a bit difficult to hold on to. As an alternative, handgrips are provided in front of you on both sides. It's possible, though not necessarily comfortable, to hold hands with the person next to you (I haven't tried it).

Of note, some of us learned during a backstage tour at a KIC event a couple years ago that Firehawk's frequent downtime is a result of it having more safety sensors than any other ride in the park (and thus more chances for an error in the system causing the ride to stop). IIRC, we were told that Firehawk has four safety sensors per seat, just for the restraints. That might help put your mind at ease a bit. :)

• Like 10

It's hard on the shins.  Or at least that is my experience---my biggest "complaint", if I truly have one, about this ride.  Your legs are not extended in a "Superman" position.  Knees are bent, with shins right up against one of the lower restraints.

• Like 1

Whatever you do, if you get either of the inside seats, plug your ears before hitting the lift hill. The anti rollbacks are insanely freaking loud.

I find the restraints comfy.

If you are going to ride a flyer, Superman it!

• Like 4

Well, Vekoma did have the help of the NASA level engineers to design Stealth, so I imagine Firehawk is pretty safe. ;)

They could of hired engineering aliens from a galaxy far away, still doesn't "feel" safe when I ride it. But again, I know it's safe, just doesn't "feel" that way. Maybe my point was missed.  :P

Either way, I will still ride it, as long as I don't have my souvenir cup along with me for the day.

I remember when my mom rode this when it was X-Flight at Six Flags Worlds Of Adventure. She lost one of her favorite sandals going through the loop. Had to buy a cheap pair from the nearest gift shop.

Going off-topic here, I've always wondered what happens if a guest loses a shoe on a ride. Since shoes are required in the park, how is that enforced? What if the guest does not have the money to purchase an overpriced pair of flip-flops from a gift shop? Would they be ejected from the park?

I personally don't care for Firehawk as I feel like I am going to fall right out.  I did ride it when it was at Geauga Lake and don't remember hating it as much as I did last year.  Just got back yesterday and neither day did we ride it.

Speaking of park policy, is there a policy for riding without a shirt on?  We were in line yesterday for The Bat and this guy was right next to us with no shirt AND they let him board, I was shocked, my husband and I both thought it was wrong.

• Like 1

Park rules require all guests to wear a shirt, unless in Soak City. That the ride ops did not attempt to enforce this may speak to their incompetence, or maybe they just feel that the potential argument and/or fight with a tough-looking shirtless guy is above their pay grade (i.e. "I don't get paid enough for this crap").

See also another thread in this section regarding rule enforcement or lack thereof, which has generated some arguments...

• Like 3

Sorry. And yeah...the shins and lower leg crap too. It hurts man. But the ride is fun. So you got that going on too. Its a weird dichotomy...does this hurt? Am I secure? Ouch!. This is kinda fun dude. Ouch! How long they gonna take to bring us back in the station man? This sun is hot. And these restraints smell like sweat bro. Gross.,