Tips for a First Timer

CoasterFan3180

Ask three different people, and you'll probably get three different answers. :P

My preference is to get on Route 4 and take it straight into Sandusky. However, a lot of people dislike that route because it involves long, boring, straight stretches of nothingness, sprinkled with a few small towns where speed traps are likely. It's also a rather narrow two-lane road almost the entire way, and passing can be difficult or impossible.

The other major route is I-75 north to US-6 east. This has the advantage of using major highways for the most part (some portions of US-6 are two-lane, though), which bring higher speed limits and much easier passing, with the trade-off being a longer journey in terms of mileage (elapsed time is the same from Xenia due to the higher speed limits) and thus possibly consuming more gas.

If you really want to detour around Dayton but want to stay on the highways, take exit 43 off of I-75 to I-675 N. Then follow I-675 its entire length before taking the last possible exit (26B) onto I-70 W. Then follow the signs for I-75 N at exit 33.

Coming in reverse, take exit 61 to I-70 E, then exit 44A to I-675 S. Again, follow I-675 its entire length without taking any exits, then keep left when it splits into ramps to merge onto I-75 S.

There is some construction on I-675 a few miles north of US-35, but it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I'll be posting a full trip report after the trip is over, but here's my day so far:

-Banshee: Awesome ride! Rode it in the front row and it was plenty forceful. Definitely in my top 5.

-Bat: My first Arrow suspended coaster and it was pretty fun. Nice drop and smooth for the most part.

-Vortex: I thought I would hate this ride, but it was actually semi-decent. My favorite part was the double loop.

-WindSeeker: Slightly freaky even for a coaster enthusiast ;) . Provides some nice views though.

Currently in line for The Beast.

• Like 5

I'll be posting a full trip report after the trip is over, but here's my day so far:

-Banshee: Awesome ride! Rode it in the front row and it was plenty forceful. Definitely in my top 5.

-Bat: My first Arrow suspended coaster and it was pretty fun. Nice drop and smooth for the most part.

-Vortex: I thought I would hate this ride, but it was actually semi-decent. My favorite part was the double loop.

-WindSeeker: Slightly freaky even for a coaster enthusiast ;) . Provides some nice views though.

Currently in line for The Beast.

WindSeeker makes me feel a bit uneasy as well. Never get afraid of the heights on coasters but that and Drop Tower get to me.

Also note at the top of I-75N there's alot of construction, single lanes and bad grooves in the pavement. Opening Day drive up I seriously thought I'd lose control of the car because of where the groove in the road construction was.

Overall that route is quite quick. The only pitfall is the current construction. Aside from that you can generally make very good time especially if you hold over the speed limit just a bit. Most of 75 is 70mph, and Route 6 is ~55 with a few lower zones. Holding just a few over can shave countless minutes off of your time.

Route 4 should be avoided. I've seen the speed traps. 55 to a 35 with little warning, cop waiting right next to the sign. Luckily I have a detector and a good car. Plus, it's a straightaway of long and boring Ohio flatness. There's very little variety or excitement along the drive up or back. 

You can also take the trek up and take I-70 East to 71, then 71 North up to 250 which will eventually dump you into Sandusky. It's a bit out of the way, but again, a few over the speed limit and the difference is nonexistent