KI a no fly zone?

gforce1994

You can fly up and around Kings Island. The only stipulation I see pulling out my VFR maps is it's within Mode C meaning at an altitude of 4,000 feet above ground level, if you're flying in that area, you have to have a transponder on and sending your altitude to the control tower operating in that airspace. Aside from that, you're good. I think the only other stipulation I could remember is I think around structures such as this, you're supposed to stay clear ~500 feet or so. But that may be for fixed wing aircraft only, and with a helicoptor or other rotorcraft, different classifications may exist. I'm not rated for any rotorcraft, I only hold my recreational license for fixed wing, single engine.

VFR_KI.png

• Like 10

^ sums it up better than I ever could have (partly because I never completed my training lol)

The only regulation I could see someone using to get you in trouble relates flying over large crowds or crowded areas...or something like that. It was added to the FARs after 9/11 generated fears of terror attacks at large stadiums.

• Like 6

Going with what TheCandyManCan was saying. Kings Island is definitely not a no fly zone. I saw a plane go over the park on Tuesday without any issues.

If anything, just like TCMC said. They most likely request a limitation of 500ft from the height of Drop Tower, WindSeeker, and The Eiffel Tower. (Might as well throw Diamondback in there for extra credit.

But due note. There is really no reason to report Diamondback being stopped for a safety reason. It's not like the minor WindSeeker incident that happened a few days ago. Don't remember that? Let's give a back story. WindSeeker got stuck, they lowered it down. Retested the ride, and it reopened. Simple as that. Diamondback was open today yes? No need to really report about it. 

• Like 1

Saying that Diamondback had an accident when it stopped at the bottom of its lift hill is like saying I was in an accident in my car when I pulled over because either the check-engine light was on or someone drifted into my lane.

Both are equally nonsensical.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...