Accident @ California's Great America, 2 injured

This occurred on the park's B&M Inverted coaster, Flight Deck. A maintenance worker apparently went to get a dropped cell phone and was hit in the head by the coaster's train, which may have also injured a rider.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/national/report-great-america-employee-hit-head-roller-coas/nmcNm/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

A rider somehow got a broken hand but is otherwise is OK. The worker got some bad injuries as well, but was responsive when first responders arrived.

I hope both the worker and the person whose hand was somehow broken get a speedy recovery, and in the case of the worker I hope he didn't get any major long-term head injuries as could happen.

QUICK EDIT/UPDATE

A 2nd source:
http://abc30.com/news/two-injured-on-roller-coaster-at-great-america-in-santa-clara/781579/

Based on more info listed by this, I got more of the picture and edited this post. This seems similar to when the guy jumped a security fence to get his hat and was killed by a rider's feet on this same coaster, save this time no one died.

• Like 6

^
I'd have to wonder if the Maintenance worker was just walking around, his phone rang, and he dropped it. "Oops. Dropped my phone..." then he leaned over to get it and a train whizzed by. One of the riders in the front row may have had their hands out going "WOOHOO!!!" as you sometimes see on coasters, and smacked him and then he got dragged the 10-15 feet.

Or he also could have been getting a phone for a guest for whatever reason. Why he didn't think to wait and tell the guest "I can go get it but wait until the park closes, I can't while the ride's running" I have no idea.

If he recovers, we may eventually get the whole story as to how this happened and why he was there in the first place- which I'm pretty sure CGA would like to know.

• Like 3

Oh no!  Let's all wish both injured parties a rapid recovery.  Especially the maintenance worker, I can only imagine the damage done to him.

I can't imagine this being possible anywhere other than a low zone, where there would surely be a fence and lockout/tagout procedures required for entry.  If so, I also wonder why he was there while the ride was still operational.  Further, is their policy not to retrieve lost loose articles at the end of the day?  Or was the guy (or gal) new and didn't know this procedure?

Cal/OSHA will surely have a field day.

• Like 4

The NBC Bay Area report on the accident paints a somewhat more gruesome image of what happened: http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Californias-Great-America-Injuries-307240951.html

“It was a maintenance guy,” one young witness told NBC Bay Area. “He got hit by the train and then he went flying.” The witness said the man could be seen bleeding from the head and appeared to have momentarily stopped breathing after he was thrown.

While I feel sorry for that employee and his family, at this point it almost certainly sounds like someone wasn't following proper procedures. The question here is whether the ride operators knew that he was there. Typically, someone entering a restricted area while the ride is in operation would result in the ride being e-stopped, followed by park security and management being called - even if that person was an employee of the park, since ride operators should also be aware of lockout requirements/procedures.

• Like 5

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but are "securred" loose items still considered loose? For example buttoned up in cargo shorts?

I've ridden this coaster. Another fun B&M invert.

Depends on the park.

Paramount's Carowinds used to make you turn your pockets inside out on Borg: The Assimilator. Sometimes.

Universal's Islands of Adventure is reportedly doing something similar.

There was a time that Knott's Berry Farm woulldn't let guests ride with spectacles. At all.

• Like 2

This kind of incident wouldn't usually affect rides elsewhere.

Smiler was a systematic failure that could - in theory - be an issue across the model or manufacturer.

This was an isolated incident that could happen on any roller coaster if proper procedures aren't followed, not a specific issue tied to the model or manufacturer. 

• Like 5

Wow... I hope everyone is ok and healing....I know lots of folks rag on the mandatory lockers, but they are necessary. I LOVE Universal Orlando's fingerprint lockers....convenient to use and free up to 1hour 40 minutes, after that you pay. Scan a finger, get a locker number, put stuff in locker, press lock button, ride ride, scan finger to unlock, retrieve stuff move on.....and they are all over the parks.

Last sat on Banshee when we went through the heartline roll, the person in front of me lost some change... it hit the sole of my shoe and...darn it, it did hurt!!! Fortunately my shoe slowed it down because it then richoeted upwards and beaned my friend on the forehead. Luckily he was wearing sunglasses!

Also back in may on Sheikra, on the second drop into the tunnel, a small stream of water was falling as the train went under it and hit me smack in the right eye.... I couldnt open my eye or see straight for a while....not fun....

• Like 5

Wow... I hope everyone is ok and healing....I know lots of folks rag on the mandatory lockers, but they are necessary. I LOVE Universal Orlando's fingerprint lockers....convenient to use and free up to 1hour 40 minutes, after that you pay. Scan a finger, get a locker number, put stuff in locker, press lock button, ride ride, scan finger to unlock, retrieve stuff move on.....and they are all over the parks.

Last sat on Banshee when we went through the heartline roll, the person in front of me lost some change... it hit the sole of my shoe and...darn it, it did hurt!!! Fortunately my shoe slowed it down because it then richoeted upwards and beaned my friend on the forehead. Luckily he was wearing sunglasses!

Also back in may on Sheikra, on the second drop into the tunnel, a small stream of water was falling as the train went under it and hit me smack in the right eye.... I couldnt open my eye or see straight for a while....not fun....

I love that with Hulk and Dragon Challenge, but then they cheap out and force you to pay for the ones for Jurassic Park: River Adventure and Dudley Doright's Ripsaw Falls

• Like 2

I LOVE Universal Orlando's fingerprint lockers....convenient to use and free up to 1hour 40 minutes, after that you pay.

Actually, they are free for the posted wait time plus a 20- to 30-minute buffer.

I wondered how they figured such an odd number of minutes.

• Like 2

I love that with Hulk and Dragon Challenge, but then they cheap out and force you to pay for the ones for Jurassic Park: River Adventure and Dudley Doright's Ripsaw Falls

Loose articles are not permitted on the resort's roller coasters. Because no bags or loose articles can be taken on the ride, Universal requires you to use a locker for them and thus, doesn't charge you for them.

However, there are rides where bags are technically permitted, so for those if you CHOOSE to use a locker, then you pay for it.

If locker use is compulsory, then you don't have to pay for it. Which seems fair and logical to me. Compare it to Cedar Fair's style, where you're required to use a locker ("or leave it with a non-rider!") and by-the-way-that'll-cost-you-five-dollars. So which is more important to you... a best day of the year ride on an astounding coaster... or a measly $5?

Cedar Fair's style feels like a money grub masquerading under the guise of safety. Especially because it's like "Well, all I have is my phone. It's fine in my pocket; I'm not going to spend $5 on a locker when I know it'll be safe in my pocket."

At least at Universal, you can tell that safety is the actual priority.

Definitely.  Nothing in life is ever free.  There's a cost somewhere.

With Google services, advertisements are the service.  In other words, time in front of your eyes.  Companies like Cedar Fair pay Google to put an ad in front of your eyes.  Google then uses that money to provide those "free" services.

Universal Studios' pricing is significantly higher than Cedar Fair's.  They bake into their pricing the cost of things like those lockers that don't require any direct payment.  You paid when you bought the ticket.

Holiday World (and now ASA) include the cost of parking, soda, and sunscreen when they determine what to charge for tickets.  You've paid for it upfront, so there's no need to take your money in the park.

Cedar Fair's lockers are only operated at a cost to those guests who use them.  I also never use the lockers, as everything is in a cargo pocket, in the car, or at home.  With this pricing model, I don't have to pay for them.

• Like 4