Disney Bans Selfie Sticks

The baffoons holding these out on roller coasters were enough. Personally, I'm ridiculously happy that this was stopped BEFORE someone got hurt. We've all seen the photos of someone holding a selfie stick out on Big Thunder Mountain. Enter a tunnel and CRACK. Stick goes flying and hits everyone behind. Absolutely ridiculously idiotic. Though this probably isn't a direct response to it, California Screamin' was E-stopped the other day when someone pulled out a selfie stick on the lift! Can you imagine?

I'm glad Disney put a stop to this and quickly.

This means that bag-check locations outside the parks will be screening for selfie-sticks and asking visitors to return them to their cars before entering. That's great.

For those that DO inevitably slip through, I very sincerely hope Disney empowers employees to react. I'm sure they will on rides, but it's just as important that those things stay out of the air during shows, parades, fireworks, etc. And you KNOW dozens of those poles were hoisted up during every showing of World of Color, JUST so the owner could have a shaky amateur video of the performance.  :rolleyes:

• Like 16

That is interesting - especially as they seem to allow people to take pictures and videos on their rides.

If only people would use common sense! On Wednesday, I was on 64 in Virginia when I saw a front seat passenger roll down their window to stick a selfie stick outside to take a picture. It may have been stop and go traffic, but seriously?

At Kings Dominion, as my train was pulling back into the Volcano station, a teenage boy had a selfie stick strapped to his wrist (like a Wii remote) when he was told he couldn't use it. The strap might return to the station but if that stick breaks, the debris is going to hurt someone and I imagine potentially cause issues with the coaster. Just enjoy the ride and leave the camera in a safe place while on the ride. Why is that too much to ask?

• Like 10

...which hurts my head. Hopefully, never literally.

Reminds me of when a certain park chain's CEO was trying valiantly to change that chain's image to that of family parks. Guests at admissions were turned away if they wore vulgar t-shirts. Meanwhile, in the gift shops those very shirts, and far worse, were proffered.

• Like 6

Those things should be banned everywhere.  The first time I saw one was this past December when we visited the Clearwater Marine Aquarium (featured in the Dolphin Tale movies, which my daughter is a big fan of so we just had to see Winter & Hope while we were down there).  We were at the stingray pool and we saw a man take this stick with a camera on the end of it and dunk it into the pool so he could apparently get underwater shots of the stingrays!  Seriously?!? 

We saw a few more of these a few days later at Magic Kingdom; none on the rides but a few during Wishes.  It wasn't until we got home that we learned these things had a name and were becoming a thing. 

• Like 6

The only thing I've ever had an issue with at concerts is Pot. Every concert I go to, you see clouds of it everywhere. In fact I'm going to a Dave Matthews concert tomorrow, it's SURE to be there. Last time I saw him live when bright white lights hit the crowd, you saw bellows of it rising up from the crowds in front of me.

• Like 2